• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wilco.    Noteworthy as this is my 100th Wilco show. 

Despite all the controversy with the Springsteen tickets I managed to score decent seats on the verified fan sale in about 10 minutes yesterday. I got ADA seats 4 rows back behind the stage. Those sea

Yo la Tengo! Again!! 

Posted Images

38 minutes ago, tinnitus photography said:

i saw Interpol last night.

they must think Boston is NYC since they played until 11:30. not even Trey's band played that long last weekend!

Oh lol yeah I’m always jealous of Boston’s early show times. I’m seeing Interpol on Sunday 

• Like 1

I saw an amazing show last night. Amyl & the Sniffers. They were like the Stooges with an awesome woman singer playing the role of Iggy Pop. I walked up to get my tickets (my buddy backed out at the very last minute so I gave the extra away. good karma) & Amy, the singer, was out talking to people in line. I got a picture with her & she was super sweet. The show was beyond packed & crazy. The club set me up with a seat on a barrier & I had a good vantage point. I was able to get a decent video of my favorite song by them, "Knifey". At the end of the song a drunk @$$hole decided to rush the stage despite the metal barrier & totally tackled me. You can see it happen on the video I shot. I'm hurtin' for certain today. Luckily I have a doctor appointment in a few hours. Don't think I broke anything but I'm seriously banged up. This is a phenomenal band. If you like good punk rock go see them if you can. Their latest record "Comfort to Me" is an instant classic.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, tinnitus photography said:

not when i have a 7:30AM meeting!

they got on at 9:45 at a venue i'd imagine the usual curfew is 11PM. 

Before I had to retire I started work @ 5:00 AM. It seriously cramped my style! In some cases it wasn't worth going to bed before work.

50 minutes ago, tinnitus photography said:

not when i have a 7:30AM meeting!

they got on at 9:45 at a venue i'd imagine the usual curfew is 11PM. 

Every show I go to in nyc ends between 11-12 (most are 11 though) doesn’t matter the day of the week. I have an hour drive home and get up 6am. It  sucks for sure. Still I go to the show and catch up on sleep later. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, chuckrh said:

Before I had to retire I started work @ 5:00 AM. It seriously cramped my style! In some cases it wasn't worth going to bed before work.

I just didn’t go to many shows for 20 years before I retired.  When I was younger and had a corporate job, I could pull it off, but older and teaching? I did it a couple of times early on, and quickly learned “no way.”. Now I have eight shows coming up over the next six months, most of which are on a school night, so if I was still teaching, I wouldn’t have been able to go!

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, brownie said:

I just didn’t go to many shows for 20 years before I retired.  When I was younger and had a corporate job, I could pull it off, but older and teaching? I did it a couple of times early on, and quickly learned “no way.”. Now I have eight shows coming up over the next six months, most of which are on a school night, so if I was still teaching, I wouldn’t have been able to go!

You got to give me your upcoming list 😃living the good life I hope welcome back to the concert fold ☺️

• Like 2

Here's a link for the video I shot of Amyl & the Sniffers doing my favorite song by them "Knifey" if you're interested. I have a low end phone & was seated a bit back so I was using telephoto. You get the idea though. Almost lost my phone when I got tackled, luckily security helped me get it before it got smashed. Whew! I'm still hurting from getting tackled but it was worth it. Amy Taylor (singer) is a totally sweet & down to earth Australian lady. :)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AwGb3Buu1NfKAHqW7

• Like 1

I saw the 'final' (we've seen this play out before... The Who are in town next week after their farewell tour was in 1982) tour from Kikagaku Moyo last night.

they are good and i like them but i wouldn't put them in top-tier psych bands from japan (tbh, that's a pretty lofty bar to clear) and i can't figure out how they got so much more popular than the rest of those bands. seems like they resonate pretty well with the younger crowd; maybe it's because they don't go for the throat too often and spend a good chunk of their time w/ playful jams, which is one of my critiques. they are pleasant enough but never edge into that 'holy shit' territory too much. the sitar/keyboard player gets a lot of attention because you don't see an electric sitar much and he can rip on it, but the bass player is the hidden MVP of that band imo. 

good value at the merch table though; $25 for LPs. and speaking of that... i was in line during the show and two people took at least 7 min each to decide on what size shirt to buy... i really hope they are at peace with that monumental decision today.

Headroom were great! i do regret not getting a record from them but next time. and i still need to see Mountain Movers. Krissie's guitar skills are legit and i loved the tone and feel of her solos, sometimes sounding like a trumpet. excellent repetitive mantra groove to get the sounds going; it's interesting how the Velvets influenced so many bands who took it into many different directions. you could map out parallels between the VU and Headroom, Dadamah, Galaxie 500 etc pretty easily but they all sound pretty differently as well.

• Like 1

one of the perks of covering shows is that i don't have to buy tickets very often. Grouper (aka Liz Harris) was doing a short run of West Coast and East Coast shows and I knew from prior experience she doesn't carry a press list so i was just gonna buy a couple of tickets for last night's Portland ME show.

i went to search my emails for the tickets and the usual suspects of online ticket accounts but turned out i never actually bought them and the show sold out weeks ago. damn. 

• Sad 1
36 minutes ago, remphish1 said:

Afghan Whigs 

I got tickets for them, too but it's not until the fall. Long time faves. I saw them back before they got their major label deal & have been a fan since. I think "Black Love" is 1 of the most criminally underrated records of all time. "Faded" still gives me chills after all these years.

• Like 2