1 hour ago, chuckrh said:

Crowded House have postponed their North American tour. Evidently Elroy Finn has hurt his back. Bummer!

https://www.nme.com/news/music/crowded-house-postpone-us-tour-following-elroy-finn-injury-3298242

That's two shows gone for me. I fully expect the show in Red Bank, NJ to be canceled due to low ticket sales. Shows in Ohio and Detroit have already been canceled. Last I looked a few weeks ago, those were selling poorly as well.

I'm sorry Elroy is injured, but color me just a little suspicious about the timing of this. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wilco.    Noteworthy as this is my 100th Wilco show. 

Despite all the controversy with the Springsteen tickets I managed to score decent seats on the verified fan sale in about 10 minutes yesterday. I got ADA seats 4 rows back behind the stage. Those sea

das Wilco's  

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, brownie said:

That's two shows gone for me. I fully expect the show in Red Bank, NJ to be canceled due to low ticket sales. Shows in Ohio and Detroit have already been canceled. Last I looked a few weeks ago, those were selling poorly as well.

I'm sorry Elroy is injured, but color me just a little suspicious about the timing of this. 

As we talked about I think the tour was overpriced. There are hardcore fans (like me, I paid Fleetwood Mac $ basically to see Neil & Mike Campbell) who will pay but the casual fan will hesitate. They might've been better off doing the summer wine & group hug circuit this summer. I'm hanging on to my tickets & hoping the delay isn't huge.

• Like 1

PS: Crowded House have been selling well in the northwest regardless of the above. Neil has always done well around here going back to Split Enz days. There's a nice hard core following. I really hope they don't end up cancelling the tour.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, chuckrh said:

PS: Crowded House have been selling well in the northwest regardless of the above. Neil has always done well around here going back to Split Enz days. There's a nice hard core following. I really hope they don't end up cancelling the tour.

I was talking with my local Finn fan friend today and we realized the last time Neil played  in the NYC area was 9 years ago, in support of Dizzy Heights.  (Not including Fleetwood Mac, which I did not attend, as I am solidly in Camp Lindsey.)

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, brownie said:

I was talking with my local Finn fan friend today and we realized the last time Neil played  in the NYC area was 9 years ago, in support of Dizzy Heights.  (Not including Fleetwood Mac, which I did not attend, as I am solidly in Camp Lindsey.)

The Dizzy Heights show here was fantastic. Eddie Vedder joined Neil for at least a few songs. Unfortunately not many concert tapes get out. I snag them when I see them. The only 1 I got for the current tour was Glastonbury & that was a short set. It does have Neil's grandson, so points for that. I think Neil has done ok for being kind of a cult guy. I read some stuff about him buying up cool, old mansions in LA. Probably flipping them. Think he's got some serious real estate back home, too. Not a dumb move. I like Lindsay, too but you can kind of see why the strife in FM might've got old with the other members. I met Lindsay once & he was cool. Kind of a long story. You can tell he's operating on different plane of the universe, haha (polite).

• Like 1
13 hours ago, chuckrh said:

The Dizzy Heights show here was fantastic. Eddie Vedder joined Neil for at least a few songs. Unfortunately not many concert tapes get out. I snag them when I see them. The only 1 I got for the current tour was Glastonbury & that was a short set. It does have Neil's grandson, so points for that. I think Neil has done ok for being kind of a cult guy. I read some stuff about him buying up cool, old mansions in LA. Probably flipping them. Think he's got some serious real estate back home, too. Not a dumb move. I like Lindsay, too but you can kind of see why the strife in FM might've got old with the other members. I met Lindsay once & he was cool. Kind of a long story. You can tell he's operating on different plane of the universe, haha (polite).

The Dizzy Heights show here was also fantastic.  No special guests, but it was in a tiny venue (Le Poisson Rouge), and the entire thing was pure class.  It’s incredible to me that was 9 years ago, and was the last time I saw Neil!

I saw/heard the Glastonbury set and sorry but was not impressed with Neil’s grandson!  LOL. There comes a point where including everyone in the family gets to be ridiculous.  How old is Buddy?  7 or so?  

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, brownie said:

The Dizzy Heights show here was also fantastic.  No special guests, but it was in a tiny venue (Le Poisson Rouge), and the entire thing was pure class.  It’s incredible to me that was 9 years ago, and was the last time I saw Neil!

I saw/heard the Glastonbury set and sorry but was not impressed with Neil’s grandson!  LOL. There comes a point where including everyone in the family gets to be ridiculous.  How old is Buddy?  7 or so?  

I think 7 maybe a little younger for Buddy. I thought it was fun. I like how Neil has always been about family.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, dagwave said:

BTS/ and the Wilcos 

woooo

That's a pretty good double bill. Maybe you'll get a nice jam during the encore. When Young Fresh Fellows opened in October the jam with both bands on Helter Skelter was the best part of the show. Sloppy but extremely fun!

• Like 2

Wrapped up Beach Road Weekend tonight on the rail for a great festival set from Wilco. Spiders was a happy surprise for a closer, especially AFTER I Got You. :rock

Other standouts from the weekend for me were Beck, Lettuce, Jason Isbell, Emmylou Harris, Billy Strings, Shovels & Rope, Khruangbin, Bully. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, last cigarettes said:

Wrapped up Beach Road Weekend tonight on the rail for a great festival set from Wilco. Spiders was a happy surprise for a closer, especially AFTER I Got You. :rock

Other standouts from the weekend for me were Beck, Lettuce, Jason Isbell, Emmylou Harris, Billy Strings, Shovels & Rope, Khruangbin, Bully. 

Sounds like a sweet, sweet time! On the rail, yet! ❤️

17 minutes ago, remphish1 said:

The Mountain Goats don’t know much about them but I can walk to the show so it is hard to say no ☺️

I'm seeing them for the first time in New Orleans next month. Based on what I've read about previous performances I'm excited about it.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, remphish1 said:

The Mountain Goats don’t know much about them but I can walk to the show so it is hard to say no ☺️

One of my favorite bands.  I've seen them many times live and it's always been a great show  They have a small, but highly devoted following.  You likely know their drummer, John Wurster, from Superchunk and Bob Mould Band.  Their new album is quite good.  Enjoy!!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Chez said:

One of my favorite bands.  I've seen them many times live and it's always been a great show  They have a small, but highly devoted following.  You likely know their drummer, John Wurster, from Superchunk and Bob Mould Band.  Their new album is quite good.  Enjoy!!

Thanks checking out a new club in my home state too so excited! Down in ac for a few days so this will be a nice break ☺️

On 8/26/2022 at 6:11 AM, chuckrh said:

Crowded House have postponed their North American tour. Evidently Elroy Finn has hurt his back. Bummer!

https://www.nme.com/news/music/crowded-house-postpone-us-tour-following-elroy-finn-injury-3298242

On 8/26/2022 at 7:35 AM, brownie said:

I’d hate to say this, but I was happy to see that their tour was postponed for selfish reasons. I’ve been dealing with sciatica and have been keeping things in close proximity, so I would’ve missed the Boston show in a few weeks. That being said, I do have a suspicious mind and fear that the tour will end up being cancelled. I can’t blame them purely based on the financial losses that it would incur.  

quick story time to tie it all together: 
The Boston concert scene has changed a lot recently. We have 2 new small venues that just opened. The MGM Fenway which holds 5,000 and the Roadrunner which holds 3,500.

So Roxy Music booked the TD Garden, when they announced their tour this past spring. A couple of days ago, I happened to open an article to read about the new MGM Fenway and noticed that they listed Roxy Music which made me do a double take. Lo & behold, the show switched venues and it went from being way too big of a venue with TONS of seats available to being a sold out show. No idea how they’re going to figure out the seating, but it looks like we might be seeing more of this in the future. 

Going back to Crowded House, I certainly can see a venue change as a possibility to keep the show afloat. Would they go from the Wang Theater to the little bit smaller Roadrunner? {edited to add info: Roadrunner & Wang have the same capacity. Roadrunner is GA though.} To keep things in perspective: The National sold out the Roadrunner venue and a double bill of Arcade Fire & Beck has sold out MGM Fenway one out of two shows. 

I’ve been paying attention because I can see this playing out when Wilco comes back to Boston. They have tons of options to choose from. Pros & Cons. Ok, enjoy live music and I’ll stop my thoughts here. 

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Boss_Tweedy said:

I'm seeing them for the first time in New Orleans next month. Based on what I've read about previous performances I'm excited about it.

You'll have a great time. They are terrific live!

I was going to see Placebo next week but had got less enthusiastic about it after I heard a tape from earlier in the tour. They're not doing a lot of the songs I like anymore. Tried to sell the tickets, no takers. Then I got an email today saying the tour was postponed. I'm taking the refund & parlaying that into a ticket for Nine Inch Nails in Portland on Wednesday. Way more into that. Got a nice hotel with pool & hot tub for way reasonable money 3 miles from the venue. The only bad thing is the drive (2.5 hours each way) is going to hurt me bad. I'll deal with that as it looks like things are going to be worse in that department soon. Except for a hospital stay this will be the first time out of the house since before COVID. About time! NIN are 1 of my all time faves so I'm pretty excited.

• Like 4
On 9/2/2022 at 6:05 PM, chuckrh said:

I was going to see Placebo next week but had got less enthusiastic about it after I heard a tape from earlier in the tour. They're not doing a lot of the songs I like anymore. Tried to sell the tickets, no takers. Then I got an email today saying the tour was postponed. I'm taking the refund & parlaying that into a ticket for Nine Inch Nails in Portland on Wednesday. Way more into that. Got a nice hotel with pool & hot tub for way reasonable money 3 miles from the venue. The only bad thing is the drive (2.5 hours each way) is going to hurt me bad. I'll deal with that as it looks like things are going to be worse in that department soon. Except for a hospital stay this will be the first time out of the house since before COVID. About time! NIN are 1 of my all time faves so I'm pretty excited.

Chuck, allow yourself lots of extra time for the drive, and pull off and rest if you need to. And have a blast! Music heals.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, kidsmoke said:

Chuck, allow yourself lots of extra time for the drive, and pull off and rest if you need to. And have a blast! Music heals.

Thanks. I'm packed up & ready to go. Leaving about 9:00 so I should be able to dodge rush hours. It's 3 hours to the hotel (only 10 minutes to the venue from the hotel) so it will be a good test. The old boy scout in me says to be prepared. I'm bringing extra clothes in case the drive goes better than I think. If it does, I'm very tempted to go to Bend OR for NIN Friday. It's another 3 hours beyond Portland. I know I can get a ticket for face value. I basically traded 2 Placebo tickets for 1 NIN ticket for the Portland show. I'm way more into NIN so it's a good deal. NIN change the setlists every night on the stand alone shows which is where the temptation comes in. I could pull it off in a frugal fashion if my body allows it. We shall see. 

PS: meeting some folks from Echoing the Sound forum down there which should be fun.

• Like 3