Tell Me the Women You Love!

Now don't get all excited😄 what am asking is, who are the female singers you can't do without? I'm realizing just how many strong, talented women I admire!

Off the top of my head...

Basia Bulat

Lucinda Williams

Dressy Bessy

Jess Cornelius

Mavis Staples

Frazee Ford

Ohmme

Katie Crutchfield....

And that's just a starter few. Which women do you prize in your musical world? Maybe it's VP-elect Kamala who has me thinking of women and their place in the larger scheme of things. 

Great topic!  Aside from Lucinda, Mavis and Katie Crutchfield, my list would include:

Courtney Barnett

Sharon Van Etten

Margo Price

Bettye LaVette

Sandy Denny (Fairport Convention)

Adreianna Lenker (Big Thief)

Patti Smith

Laetitia Sadler (Stereolab)

I saw Tori Amos perform a couple of times - my wife is big fan - a great performer, indeed.  Pretty amazing how she can hold a theater crowd with her voice and a piano. 

Ani DiFranco is another one that my wife turned me on way back when. 

Heather Robb (The Spring Standards)

Jess Wolfe and Holly Laessig (Lucius)

Hope Sandoval (Mazzy Star)

Neko Case

Kathleen Edwards

Joan Shelley

Macie Stewart and Sima Cunningham (OHMME)

Erika Wennerstrom

On the obscure end of the spectrum, I've been haunted by Rosa Agostino aka Red Ghost, a guest singer on the Soulsavers' 2009 album "Broken." She performs the lead vocal on "By My Side" and "Rolling Sky" and she performed her own set as the opening act on the "Broken" tour.  Seems she never got signed and only has a few pieces of her own music out there. I can still listen to those two songs over and over and be mesmerized.

(Links are all to artists'/labels' official YT pages)

On 11/14/2020 at 9:28 AM, Yaz Rock said:

Heather Robb (The Spring Standards)

Jess Wolfe and Holly Laessig (Lucius)

Hope Sandoval (Mazzy Star)

Neko Case

Kathleen Edwards

Joan Shelley

Macie Stewart and Sima Cunningham (OHMME)

Erika Wennerstrom

On the obscure end of the spectrum, I've been haunted by Rosa Agostino aka Red Ghost, a guest singer on the Soulsavers' 2009 album "Broken." She performs the lead vocal on "By My Side" and "Rolling Sky" and she performed her own set as the opening act on the "Broken" tour.  Seems she never got signed and only has a few pieces of her own music out there. I can still listen to those two songs over and over and be mesmerized.

(Links are all to artists'/labels' official YT pages)

I wanted to thank you, Yaz, for putting in all the links, what a great idea. :thumbup  Made it very simple to have a quick listen. The Rosa Agostino song, "By My Side" is gorgeous!

20 hours ago, kidsmoke said:

I wanted to thank you, Yaz, for putting in all the links, what a great idea. :thumbup  Made it very simple to have a quick listen. The Rosa Agostino song, "By My Side" is gorgeous!

You're very welcome, Donna! Glad you enjoyed some of my selections =)

Hey Donna, great to see we share a common love for Basia Bulat! Would've seen her last month in Amsterdam and Brussels, if not for the damn pandemic..

Also highly favorable: Jenny Lewis, Christine Fellows, Kathleen Edwards, Dawn Landes, Meg Baird, Phoebe Bridgers, Amy Millan, Molly Rankin (Alvvays) and Lili Trifilio (Beach Bunny).