• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gram is definitely someone i want to check out, i just haven't gotten around to ordering his stuff online, as i can't find it in any local stores.

i'll also ask for you to be more specific as to which songs blatantly rip off something - down to chord changes and melodies.

i am a songwriter myself, and if you are one, too, i'm sure it is not uncommon for you to listen to something and get into and then think 'i would like to write something in that style."

this is a necessity for any songwriter unless a person is dropped in the wild with a guitar and then make up an entirely new musical genre.

if we were in the times of when Gram put out his albums i'm sure we'd be able to say - "i see where he got this from this artist, and combined it with this from another artist and added his own uniqueness to it," etc.

i am a songwriter myself, and if you are one, too, i'm sure it is not uncommon for you to listen to something and get into and then think 'i would like to write something in that style."

this is a necessity for any songwriter unless a person is dropped in the wild with a guitar and then make up an entirely new musical genre.

To coin a phrase -- "I smell what you're stepping in." :)

OK, I'm not here to defend my own (I've never met this person) but I will say this much: there are few people on this board more knowledgable about modern rock music than Mystic in my opinion.

Maybe you could add to the discussion a bit if you would provide some evidence to back up your claim. For instance, why not list some or all of the tracks from Easy Tiger along with the GP song or style that you think has been "ripped off." So far all you've offered is the repetitive claim that Ryan Adams is a bad GP rip off. And a lot of periods.

I own over 600 CDs..........with every major musical style represented from multiple decades..............close minded would be the last way I would describe my musical knowledge.............sure people have influences..............every artist would have to to want to get into music........but most of the time they have their original sound in there as well..............one that carries over from album to album.............RA seems to just make carbon copy albums of his idols but done in modern studios etc..............in this case...........from vocals to instruments used to overall country rock(gram invented that btw) sound...........this album is truely nothing more than a poor version of what Gram would have made in 07' had he been around and lost his vocal sound.............but people on here are acting like this album's sound is a revelation in music.............now tell me who is really close minded...............some only see the gospel of RA...............

:coffee

OK, I'm not here to defend my own (I've never met this person) but I will say this much: there are few people on this board more knowledgable about modern rock music than Mystic in my opinion.

here,here!!!! motion seconded!

-robert.

I have about 800 CDs, and I feel like my musical knowledge is at best fair-to-middling.

my point was I was called close minded and I disagree that someone with so many cds from so many different musical styles and decades could be called this.................someone who appreciates music as much as I do and actually listens to it and discusses it...........and does not use it as just background sound...........has a right to state an opinion about an album being discussed on this message board...........did you really think everyone would post that this album is so wonderful?.............that is the biggest joke of all here..............in order for there to be discussion or continuing converstation there has to be differences in opinion somewhere along the line..........it is fine if people love him..................and it is fine for me to think he is a blatant rip off of GP on this new album Easy Tiger.............that is just the way it will be...............on reference to Sky Blue Sky that someone posted..............sure dueling guitars sound like allman bros on impossible germany.............or vocal harmonies on you are my face sound like crosby stills and nash................but make no mistake about it..............never for a second did I not think that was Jeff Tweedy and the wilco sound as well.............that has been original and unique all along the way through their albums.................

I only own 500 cd's you guys, so I'm not going to even try commenting on this. Being a music major or musicians really doesn't count for much.

That said, I'll give this dude/dudette the credit that his posts are consistent across the board (like any "good" artists according to him/her)--and has a posting style that I just can't peg as being derivative of the standard posting style. That sure is interesting.

Oh, wait....

Maybe you could add to the discussion a bit if you would provide some evidence to back up your claim. For instance, why not list some or all of the tracks from Easy Tiger along with the GP song or style that you think has been "ripped off." So far all you've offered is the repetitive claim that Ryan Adams is a bad GP rip off. And a lot of periods.

my point was I was called close minded and I disagree that someone with so many cds from so many different musical styles and decades could be called this.................someone who appreciates music as much as I do and actually listens to it and discusses it...........and does not use it as just background sound...........has a right to state an opinion about an album being discussed on this message board...........did you really think everyone would post that this album is so wonderful?.............that is the biggest joke of all here..............in order for there to be discussion or continuing converstation there has to be differences in opinion somewhere along the line..........it is fine if people love him..................and it is fine for me to think he is a blatant rip off of GP on this new album Easy Tiger.............that is just the way it will be...............on reference to Sky Blue Sky that someone posted..............sure dueling guitars sound like allman bros on impossible germany.............or vocal harmonies on you are my face sound like crosby stills and nash................but make no mistake about it..............never for a second did I not think that was Jeff Tweedy and the wilco sound as well.............that has been original and unique all along the way through their albums.................

:frusty

my point was I was called close minded and I disagree that someone with so many cds from so many different musical styles and decades could be called this, someone who appreciates music as much as I do and actually listens to it and discusses it, and does not use it as just background sound has a right to state an opinion about an album being discussed on this message board. did you really think everyone would post that this album is so wonderful? that is the biggest joke of all here. in order for there to be discussion or continuing converstation there has to be differences in opinion somewhere along the line. it is fine if people love him and it is fine for me to think he is a blatant rip off of GP on this new album Easy Tiger. that is just the way it will be. on reference to Sky Blue Sky that someone posted, sure dueling guitars sound like allman bros on impossible germany or vocal harmonies on you are my face sound like crosby stills and nash, but make no mistake about it, never for a second did I not think that was Jeff Tweedy and the wilco sound as well. that has been original and unique all along the way through their albums.

I think I understand now.

Really? Because the one thing I like about Wilco is you never know what they are going to sound like next. Sure, you can tell it's Wilco because of Jeff's voice, but other than that, there's no way I'd be able to tell YHF, Summerteeth and SBS (just to pick 3) are from the same band.

There's no "Wilco sound". It's something you've attributed to them after the fact.

Really? Because the one thing I like about Wilco is you never know what they are going to sound like next. Sure, you can tell it's Wilco because of Jeff's voice, but other than that, there's no way I'd be able to tell YHF, Summerteeth and SBS (just to pick 3) are from the same band.

There's no "Wilco sound". It's something you've attributed to them after the fact.

It's all a bunch of folk ditties streched,smashed and busted all over.....

-Robert.

sure they have quirks like 15 minutes of distorted fuzz sound................but to me anyway...............from AM on there is a definite sound that is Wilco................sure there is experimentation here and there...........and a few songs sound nothing like anything they have done before.............but I always know it is Wilco..............and not just because I am very familiar with their records...........but this is not about the brilliance that is Wilco................we all love them :cheers ...............I was simply replying to a post about my avatar someone made.............

has a right to state an opinion about an album being discussed on this message board...........did you really think everyone would post that this album is so wonderful?.............that is the biggest joke of all here..............in order for there to be discussion or continuing converstation there has to be differences in opinion somewhere along the line..........it is fine if people love him..................and it is fine for me to think he is a blatant rip off of GP on this new album Easy Tiger.............that is just the way it will be...............

The problem is that you are posting with an agenda. Of course people will have negative reactions when you just write-off a highly respected artist (around these parts) with some lazy lines about how RA is a carbon copy of GP.

If you do something like the following, then the good folks of VC will engage in intelligent discussion with you:

"You know Ryan Adams just isn't my cup of tea, I can see how others would like his GP influenced country rock, but for me it is a tad derivative. For instance, song X veers a little too close to song Y by Gram for my taste, the tone of the guitars/the verse/the lyrics/whatever you like just seem a little same-y and done before. Maybe I'll have to explore RA's back catalogue a little more to see what he's all about, but for now Easy Tiger just doesn't do it for me. Do you guys have any recommendations of his stuff for me to check out so I could get more of a feel of Ryan's particular style?"

Of course you would have to insert another 763 periods to have it suit your style, but you get the picture.

I'm sure you could have a great conversation, there are some great people here well versed in music knowledge and a lot of people especially like alt.country/country rock. Instead you opt to be confrontational and dismissive, which of course won't make many friends.