• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it turns out that even though the show was listed as 7:30 that was when doors opened. The show was supposed to start at 9 but Ryan and the band didn't come out until 9:30 p.m. They proceeded to play for more than two hours, including a three-song encore that ended with a killer extended version of "Magnolia Mountain." I'd seen him three times before and I'd say this is the most focused and consistenly engaging one I've been to. I liked the semi-acoustic format and thought the Cardinals sounded awesome. They seem to have really energized Ryan who seemed to be having a good time and was joking throughout much of the show. The set consisted mostly of recent stuff with a few older ones and some I didn't recognize (I presume from his unreleased albums because I have all his official releases). One surprise was a retooled version of "This is It" from Rock'n'Roll. Despite the jack-o-lantern decorating the piano no "Hallween Head" or "La Cienaga Smile," which a few people called out for. (The theatre is half a block from La Cienega.) All in all a good show.

So it turns out that even though the show was listed as 7:30 that was when doors opened. The show was supposed to start at 9 but Ryan and the band didn't come out until 9:30 p.m. They proceeded to play for more than two hours, including a three-song encore that ended with a killer extended version of "Magnolia Mountain." I'd seen him three times before and I'd say this is the most focused and consistenly engaging one I've been to. I liked the semi-acoustic format and thought the Cardinals sounded awesome. They seem to have really energized Ryan who seemed to be having a good time and was joking throughout much of the show. The set consisted mostly of recent stuff with a few older ones and some I didn't recognize (I presume from his unreleased albums because I have all his official releases). One surprise was a retooled version of "This is It" from Rock'n'Roll. Despite the jack-o-lantern decorating the piano no "Hallween Head" or "La Cienaga Smile," which a few people called out for. (The theatre is half a block from La Cienega.) All in all a good show.

Have you ever been in the place that use to be The Doors office?

I have been listening to and collect many live Ryan shows and have no idea where you got the idea that he ever "jams for 20 minutes". His longest live song may be "What Sin" but even the studio version of that is 9 minutes long.

Now the shows he played with Phil Lesh is a whole different ballgame...

i know the Off Broadway promo video on youtube has an extended jam not found on the studio version.

So I love Easy Tiger. So I picked up Heartbreaker and Cold Roses. I think all three are solid top to bottom. But I know I've seen stuff RA has done on late night shows I've seen, before I knew how good he was, that I thought was lame. What should I check out next? btw Two on Leno last week was really good. I saw his Austin City Limits (the TV show) performance and that's what first turned me onto him. I was listening to a lot of Gram Parsons at the time and it fed exactly what I needed. The Cardinals are a really tight band.

So I love Easy Tiger. So I picked up Heartbreaker and Cold Roses. I think all three are solid top to bottom. But I know I've seen stuff RA has done on late night shows I've seen, before I knew how good he was, that I thought was lame. What should I check out next? btw Two on Leno last week was really good. I saw his Austin City Limits (the TV show) performance and that's what first turned me onto him. I was listening to a lot of Gram Parsons at the time and it fed exactly what I needed. The Cardinals are a really tight band.

Jacksonville City Nights. If you look around enough you can find an import version with the studio version of "What Sin" as the last track.

Interview with him on Pitchfork today:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/feat...view-ryan-adams

Being sober, I think, has helped him no end...

I think Adams might be taking a shot at someone else's well-documented (scroll on CNN, etc.) recovery:

"First of all, when I got clean and sober, I didn't really talk to anybody about it. It was something I did on my own time. I'm not a celebrity, so it didn't matter to me to have somebody call the news, or the AP, or whatever the fuck it is and say

Go out and buy Gold today. You won't be sorry.

Sep 29 2007 8:00P

Chicago Theatre Chicago, Illinois

Oct 1 2007 8:00P

Main Lounge Iowa City, Iowa

Oct 2 2007 8:00P

Uptown Theatre Kansas City, Missouri

Oct 4 2007 8:00P

Foellinger Auditorium Champaign, Illinois

Oct 5 2007 8:00P

The Pageant St. Louis, Missouri

Oct 12 2007 8:00P

North Charleston Performing Arts Centre Charleston, South Carolina

Oct 29 2007 8:00P

Carnegie Music Hall Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Oct 30 2007 8:00P

Constitution Hall DC, Washington DC

got tickets to see him in Northhampton at the Calvin (the site of my first and only jeff solo show), any word on electric or acoustic for this tour? i saw him at the end of june acoustic with cardinals and it was great but would love to see an electric show.