Good news for U2 fans..

I feel that a fitting response to the 4 points listed above would be "well, U2 never released the official version of Mercy. I don't know what the hell they were thinking." The fact that I have to listen to the track on YouTube is a shame. There's a live version on some vinyl single. Might be fan club or record store day. I forget. They've at least played the track so they are aware of it, but I'm guessing that it will be on some mega get rich huge release of all these rumored abandoned sessions. I really hope that it's a chronological affair & a post retirement one at that, so that we can all look back at an alternate history of what U2 might have been had they had the balls. Some U2 fan page broke down all of these sessions and it's quite a few albums worth.

I also feel that they're around too much now thanks to Live Nation. I see this as a bad thing, btw. I still can't picture a full on tour for this new album. They just played fucking stadiums!

I will say though that I've caught Bono's voice in amazing form in 2015 and this year at their Boston gigs.

I've made 2 versions of Pop thanks to the Best Of 1990-2000 alternate mixes. I still prefer the album versions.

I totally remembered the song title Xanax & Wine, but had zero recollection that it was an early version of Fast Cars. I guess I find myself reaching for U2 bootlegs, instead of anything studio related. I can't even remember the last time that I dusted off All That You Can't Leave Behind which I think is a strange record for me: 1. I'm sick of Beautiful Day 2. I can't stand the album versions of Elevation & Stuck In A Moment (Bono & The Edge doing Stuck is just sublime) 3. I love Walk On, Kite and In A Little While but the rest is "meh".

But hey Bono is singing about "dinosaurs" & "meteors" now, so there's that...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Since no one else has yet, I figured I’d share my experience seeing U2 at the Sphere in Las Vegas last week. (I’m a little behind as I was traveling after the weekend and busy with catching up on work

Yep, they botched Staring At The Sun on the opening night of the PopMart Tour in 1997 and since then they have only played it acoustically. Stay (Faraway, So Close!) & Stuck In A Moment You Can’t

I enjoy the Monster record - but I was not a huge fan of the live show on the cd deluxe edition -- enjoyed the music on the live set, but I thought Stipe's vocals were off -- to much straining, from w

Posted Images

Say what you want about them, but in my opinion they can still bring it live. Their show with Beck last night in New Orleans was incredible. I'm not a fan at all of big arena or stadium shows, but they always seem to pull it off. 

Say what you want about them, but in my opinion they can still bring it live. Their show with Beck last night in New Orleans was incredible. I'm not a fan at all of big arena or stadium shows, but they always seem to pull it off. 

I agree.  I saw the same show at Indy last Sunday and it was excellent.  And while the prices for the good seats are pretty expensive (not unlike other really big acts lately), having the $70 GA floor tickets is a pretty nice gesture for fans imo.

The Joshua Tree Tour is worth seeing for many reasons, one of which is the movie images on the giant horizontal screen. Anton Corbijn, the guy who shot the Joshua Tree album photos, shot mini films for each of the Joshua Tree songs. The clarity of the images, of things like southwest scenery or a Salvation Army band, along with the beauty of the images, really adds to the experience.

U2, the veterans they are, aren't dumb. Kicking off shows with a 4-song attack of Sunday Bloody Sunday/New Year's Day/Bad/Pride is a guaranteed way to get a crowd fired up.

Yeah the Joshua show I saw in Chicago this past summer was great - glad we finally gotten around to see them.

When it was announced, we thought hard about driving down to St. Louis to catch the Beck/U2 show there , but decided to leave it on a high note. The show is tomorrow and there is still plenty of tickets left - including the $70 GA floor tickets.

Of course, it looks like it may get ugly in St. Louis this weekend -- be interesting to see if Bono mentions the latest not-guilty verdict against a police officer who was accused of murder that was announced today...

Of course, it looks like it may get ugly in St. Louis this weekend -- be interesting to see if Bono mentions the latest not-guilty verdict against a police officer who was accused of murder that was announced today...

U2 cancels the St Louis show:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/u2-cancel-st-louis-concert-over-safety-concerns-w503580

That should be put under Bad News For U2 Fans. That sucks! I'd hate if I picked that show to go to and it got canceled the day of. Hope they reschedule it before they go to South America.

U2 released the KYGO remix of You're The Best Thing onto music platforms on Friday. It's the one that I heard on a YouTube video in August of 2016 filmed at some giant EDM fest in Europe. I really like the sound of it.

U2 also dropped into a studio in New Orleans to record a T. Rex song for an upcoming tribute album. It's unknown which song, but Bono previously did Children Of The Revolution for the Moulin Rouge soundtrack.

Yeah that definitely sucks about the St.Louis show - bunch of wife's friends had tickets.

Guess it was a good thing that the Cardinals were up here in Chicago playing this weekend - be curious if they would have canceled the Cardinal game or moved it. Guess MLB canceled a Baltimore O's game when they were playing the White Sox game a few years back under similar circumstances.

Guessing the U2 show will not be rescheduled.

This is a textbook post-Pop U2 interview...

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/the-edge-on-new-u2-album-bonos-brush-with-mortality-w503246

"In the case of "You're the Best Thing About Me," we were really excited about the mix we had six weeks ago. Then we started talking about how we were going to play it live and I went back to some early demos and found this one that had done at a point when we were experimenting with different arrangement ideas. It was an experiment we hadn't pursued and I thought, "This would be a good approach if we play it live," which we did on the Jimmy Fallon show. It's a fleshed-out approach with some new guitars.

Then Bono came into the studio to listen to it and was like, "OK, something is happening here. It's a better song now. I can't explain why, but I'm feeling something off this." So we kind of went off in a panic with us working furiously with two days to go before we had to turn the single in and get it to everybody for their consideration. We ended up agreeing that the simplicity, the rawness of it offers a counterbalance to the lyric and melody, which is very classic. It's a love song and it kind of takes it in a more convincing way. Somehow the song seems better - and it was totally last minute."

Almost exactly what I was trying to describe with my last post within this quote and throughout that article.

^ Yep!

There will be a companion interview from Bono coming soon on Rolling Stone dot com. I'd make a bet that we'll hear "The Edge is on fire", "The Edge is learning to love the guitar again" and my favorite "It was that moment when we knew that God had walked into the room."

On a more serious note, I did like what he had to say regarding the upcoming tour, even if it's spitballing ideas for the sake of an interview. While the idea of dropping all songs from The Joshua Tree off of the upcoming tour sounds like an interesting idea, I highly doubt that it would ever happen for more than one show. It sounds like a typical opening night decision from U2 that they'll back out of on the next show. The fact that he mentions that they have a huge catalog to fill in the gaps for those songs seems too good to be true. He does talk about finding the right time to do a full on version of War's Drowning Man. And he really wanted to do Pop's The Playboy Mansion on the last tour.

He also mentioned possibly doing Songs Of Innocence & Songs Of Experience to fill out a whole show.

He does talk about finding the right time to do a full on version of War's Drowning Man. And he really wanted to do Pop's The Playboy Mansion on the last tour.

He also mentioned possibly doing Songs Of Innocence & Songs Of Experience to fill out a whole show.

Edge also mentioned how much he likes Wake Up Dead Man.

That'd be a great setlist addition. 

Edge also mentioned how much he likes Wake Up Dead Man.

That'd be a great setlist addition.

Yes, that's right. He was also asked about one of my favorite b-sides: Lady With The Spinning Head. I'd love to hear that, but he seemed less enthused about it.

Anyways, I've been getting myself familiar with The National's Get Well Beast and I think that the opening to the third track, Walk It Back, sounds an awful lot like the opening to U2's Sleep Like A Baby Tonight.

• 1 month later...

There's supposed to be a big album & tour announcement at 1pm EST today. Mostly every fan knows that the new album will be released on December 1st, but today's announcement will show the track list and different formats which was already leaked earlier this week.

The 2 tour dates that have been rumored are May 15 at the Forum in Los Angeles and June 21 at the Boston Garden. The tour is expected to kick off on May 1 with a lot of dates in places that don't get played often (Tulsa is the one city that's been thrown around as an example).

They're also rumored to be the musical guest on December 2nd's episode of Saturday Night Live.

Get Out Of Your Own Way is expected to hit radio/streaming sometime today. A music video was filmed for this song a month ago in Mexico.

Edit: a local Las Vegas radio station just tweeted out a tour date at T Mobile Arena on May 11.

Various versions of the album

1. Love Is All We Have Left
  2. Lights of Home
  3. You’re The Best Thing About Me
  4. Get out of Your Own Way
  5. American Soul
  6. Summer of love
  7. Red Flag Day
  8. The Showman (Little More Better)
  9. The Little Things That Give You Away
  10. Landlady
  11. The Blackout
  12. Love Is Bigger Than Anything in Its Way
  13. 13 (There is a Light)

The North American itinerary is:

2018-05-02: Tulsa, Oklahoma - BOK Center

2018-05-04: St Louis, Missouri - Scottrade Center

2018-05-07: San Jose, California - SAP Center

2018-05-11: Las Vegas, Nevada - T-Mobile Center

2018-05-15: Los Angeles, California - Forum

2018-05-22: Chicago, Illinois - United Center

2018-05-26: Nashville, Tennessee - Bridgestone Arena

2018-05-28: Atlanta, Georgia - Infinite Energy Arena

2018-06-05: Montreal, Québec - Bell Centre

2018-06-09: Uniondale, New York - NYCB Live, Home of the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum

2018-06-13: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - Wells Fargo Center

2018-06-17: Washington, DC - Capital One Arena

2018-06-21: Boston, Massachusetts - TD Garden

2018-06-25: New York, New York - Madison Square Garden

2016-06-29: Newark, New Jersey - Prudential Center

The studio version of The Blackout & Get Out Of Your Own Way is available on Spotify & iTunes or YouTube clips as seen above.

American Soul is easily the most interesting song so far to me - except that "you are rock n roll" bit. Yuck.

This is what I wanted to discuss yesterday, but I wanted to see if people caught on that it has the same chorus as Volcano. The lyrics are different, but the delivery is the same. I think American Soul works a lot better than Volcano, but I keep thinking about being fed lines like "we need to go back in the studio after this last election blah blah blah".....but you used the same hook from a song on your last album?! Lol