• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Blame Carole King

One evening' date=' during the summer of 1977, Neil Young recalls inviting Carole King to his summer house on Zuma beach, near Malibu, California. The Canadian-born musician had asked King, already renowned as both a songwriter and arranger, to listen to his recently completed Chrome Dreams album. King listened as Young played her 12 new songs. When the album was finished, she abruptly said: "No, no, Neil! This is not a record. It's just a bunch of your songs. It's a demo. This is not a record."

"I was about to release it. And then I didn't release it," Young says, 30 years after he abandoned the project. "I've left a lot of things unfinished. I would rather write a new song than go back and fix an old one."[/quote']

He always has the most BS reasons for not releasing stuff. :lol

I have a copy on the way. After hearing ordinary people though I'm not to excited about this. Maybe my low expectations will enhance my apperication.

i really was just expecting an mor neil record. which this is. nothing as great as The Painter or Flags of Freedom from the LWW set. Ordinary people is just too long. so is hidden path. the other songs are okay, but nothing amazing. it does have warm feeling to it and i'll probably warm up to it at some point. that's the way i was with Prairie wind and LWW. really diggin the new bruce disc and looking forward to new eagles!

c

Judging from the lack of responses, I guess everybody else found this disc about as interesting as I did. Another spin or two should do it, and then I'll throw it on the pile marked "Neil's '00s shit."

:lol :lol :lol why even bother posting in this thread if you aren't a neil young fan?

i mean there's no way you are because i don't know any neil young fan that doesn't like at least on of the three of his new albums

greendale

prairie wind

living with war

between those three you have a taste of everything

On first listen I'm not sure how I feel about it exactly. It's not junk but I can't tell if it's great either, I'll let it groow on me some more. It does however make more excited for the Massey Hall date I'm going to.

On the other note. I hated Greendale (as with alot of people) loved loved loved Prairie Wind and liked Living With War for the most part.

:lol :lol :lol why even bother posting in this thread if you aren't a neil young fan?

i mean there's no way you are because i don't know any neil young fan that doesn't like at least on of the three of his new albums

greendale

prairie wind

living with war

between those three you have a taste of everything

I don't own anything past Live Rust. I like the dude quite a bit - but not this new stuff.

Now you do.

PW and LWW have their moments, but there's something about them that wears thin after a few weeks of listening. CDII feels startlingly like an inferior marriage of both. Save the first two tracks, there's not a lot here that I'm liking. I've heard "The Believer" three times now, and its simple charms delighted me the first time I heard it, but now it just seems thin, anemic, unimpressive. I'm not one for giving legends a pass, sorry, so this joins Magic and Modern Times on the scrap heap.

If it makes you feel better, I really like Joni Mitchell's new one. You know, the record that absolutely nobody is talking about? That one.