this is my 2nd fave Neil record post '00. now to some that's not saying a lot, fine.

i doubt he'll touch Silver & Gold for me anytime soon in terms of post '00 work, but this is a really enjoyable listen for me. not without flaws, no. hardly any Neil record (especially post '90's) is. but it's strengths far outweigh it's negatives here.

i did really enjoy Greendale musically (despite the hokey story and lyrics) a LOT (Bandit is one of my fave Neil songs ever), enjoyed LWW for what it was (and musically ADORED 4 or 5 songs on there), and grew to love Prairie Wind due to Heart of Gold.

for me the only '00 album i will never pull out again is Are You Passionate? 3-5 solid tracks at best, overall, blah.

while i do like CDII, i'd say it's a 7-7.5 record to put it in perspective compared to other '07 releases.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've not heard this yet, so if anyone would be kind enough to hook me up I'd be forever thankful...

I've heard the free mp3 floating around and, whilst it didn't blow me away, I rather enjoyed it. If the whole album is like that then, whilst it won't go into my favourite NY pile, it'd still be a good record.

ever interested in new artists? :ike

man, i post rarely and it never fails that there is some asshole that has to respond with something akin to the above. so a question back at ya littlebear, "got better things to do?"

c

If you do a search in google for neil young chrome dreams torrent it will come up on demonoid, and you can download the torrent there, drop it into azureas (or what ever you use). set to 350 degrees and it should be golden brown in around 15 minutes or less!

well im on "Ordinary people" and i'd say it flows well with the two songs preceding. Def. like more then when it was on its own. Although I will say it doesn't sound as tacky now... is this a different mix then the one that circulated a few months ago?

Also anyone else think Bluebird rips Sail Away off?

i'm patiently awaiting my cd to arrive since i paid way too much money for a mediocre seat at the Constitution Hall show and with that overpriced concert ticket i get the cd shipped to me at no extra cost. kinda funny, got an email from Warner Bros. Records to inform me that my cd is now on back order and will be arriving within 30 days of the Oct 23 release date. ummmm, did someone not plan ahead and figure out how many cds to manufacture based on the number of seats in all of the venues that has Neil booked for this tour in which they plan on giving away 2 cds per 4 concert tickets sold. that doesn't even require algebra.

ah well. maybe i'll go ahead and download it.

i'm patiently awaiting my cd to arrive since i paid way too much money for a mediocre seat at the Constitution Hall show and with that overpriced concert ticket i get the cd shipped to me at no extra cost. kinda funny, got an email from Warner Bros. Records to inform me that my cd is now on back order and will be arriving within 30 days of the Oct 23 release date. ummmm, did someone not plan ahead and figure out how many cds to manufacture based on the number of seats in all of the venues that has Neil booked for this tour in which they plan on giving away 2 cds per 4 concert tickets sold. that doesn't even require algebra.

shit, I bought tickets and never received an e-mail from Warner Bros. is there an e-mail address I can contact them at?

shit, I bought tickets and never received an e-mail from Warner Bros. is there an e-mail address I can contact them at?

happy to provide:

wbrcustserv@emsi.echomail.com

the confirmation email i recieved was from this address and went straight into my junk folder. they list this address at the end of the email for questions, etc.

Yeah, no shit. Buncha morons. Would somebody please remind me again -- what exactly is it they do for their cut of the artists' profits?

Somebody mentioned Demonoid, so this isn't quite threadjacking (but I admit it's close): can Americans still use the site? They're blocking Canadian ISPs now, which struck me as odd, since I'm used to downloading with impunity and clucking my tongue every time I read about a torrent site disabling access from the US.

I'm enjoying this more than I thought I would after reading some of the negative views here. The Observer Music Monthly gave it 5/5 over the weekend.

Some of the guitar work is fantastic, great, chunky riffs again. It reminds me, in places, of Sleeps With Angels...

wow i love this album. so good.

beautiful bluebird = sail away and out on the weekend - sounds just as GOOD too!!! nice work on the dobro (I think) by Ben Keith.

boxcar = i love banjo, this is really nice, especially the girl/train whistle "ooohs".. they got that lonesome whistle chord just right! might turn into my favourite eventually.

OP = yup.

shining light = the way the guitar is strummed in this... the instrumentation, just perfect. sounds like a 50's song, and they pull it off just right.

the believer = modern day "cripple creek ferry". it's so cool how carefree the "i believe in you"'s and the "oh yeah"'s work together...

spirit road = i'm sure many people will disagree with me here, but it's one of my least favourite on this album. it's typical dirty, rocky Neil sound, but there's not much in the song here. the vocal melody is one note, pretty much. the guitar solos sound pretty good though. i'm sure it'll be great live.

dirty old man = i like it like i like piece of crap. but still, it's the other least favourite on the album. the "ooh! ahh!" backing vocals in the workout verse are hilarious though, and i guess the background vocals in general. my brother told me how great of an artist Neil Young is by how much his song "Piece Of Crap" sounds like a piece of crap! it's so true, and it's not even an insult. this song is pretty similar. sounds like a dirty old man. so yeah.. not a good song, but hilarious and perfectly executed.

ever after = may be my favourite. it sounds like it's straight off of american stars n' bars. Ben Keith weaves his magic on this track. i'm a sucker for pedal steel. i'm hearing "hey babe", "saddle up the palomino" and "the old country waltz". in this song. neil sounds youthful for the most part. i'm really happy with this song.

no hidden path = this one sounds like "down by the river"'s younger (or older) sibling. Ben Keith's rhythm guitar sounds just like Danny Whitten from the original Crazy Horse. i love this one. can't wait for this one live.

the way = beautiful song, beautiful melody, but.. kids singing? ugh.. well, i'm getting used to it, but i have hope that the live version will NOT feature kids, and it'll thus sound infinitely better. it's a great song, gretat instrumentation. but the kids... i don't know...

that said, i think this album is a keeper. probably the best since Broken Arrow or maybe Silver and Gold.

when i read who the musicians would be on this album i was very excited, because i love Ralph Molina's drumming style - he's my favourite drummer Neil has worked with, and (as you can tell) i think Ben Keith is the greatest sidekick ever!. the bass is the bass, nothing impressive, nothing that bothers me. nothing against Rick Rosas - the basslines are all very tasteful, i must say.

and I am going to be in Spokane for the concert on Saturday night and I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

email update

Hey Neil fan, due to a crossed wire you may have recently received an

email with WRONG shipping info on Neil's new album "Chrome Dreams II".

You will receive your "Chrome Dreams II" CD next week. We apologize for any

confusion.

Thanks for your support.

I love it when things work out well in the end.

Yesterday's setlist (pretty outstanding):

From Hank To Hendrix

Ambulance Blues

Sad Movies

A Man Needs A Maid

No One Seems To Know

Harvest

Campaigner

Journey Through The Past

Mellow My Mind

Love Art Blues

Love Is A Rose