The Riviera Theater, Chicago, IL 02/16/08

Freakin' amazing tonight. Crowd reaction for "Just that Simple"? Possibly one of the best things I have ever experienced.
Yes, it should be mentioned, and fast, that John got a huge ovation after Simple. Jeff even said that it was a long time coming.

That response was hugely cool. :yes

Did I miss it, or has no one mentioned yet the JT/AB whistling duet on Red Eyed & Blue? *swoon*

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there was certainly something magical going on in the air last night. after the aweseomeness of the show, a whole bunch of us had met up the street @ a bar where we had gone the night before. we had taken over a booth or two. the dj launches into is that the thanks i get & our table belted out & clapped along as if we were still at the show. the other patrons were certainly getting a kick out of us!

i think happeningstone is my concert soul mate.

My first post of these shows - I am not even going to try to say which night was better -- they were both incredible in their own way.

As someone else said, Friday seemed like it had more surprises because everything was new (meaning not played), and I think that the closing sequence of HMD, Candyfloss and Outtasite was fantastic -- I just loved the way it built up the tension. Also, no one will believe me I'm sure, but when I was driving to the show, ELT came to my mind as their opener, and then voila, there it was. Also, they played several of my favorites that I have requested from time to time -- including PKB, Can't Stand It, and Candyfloss, as well as Hate It Here (Liar Song). And several I thought I would never hear live, like Why Would You Wanna Live.

Last night had some amazing moments, many already mentioned, but I loved the way they started the show with Jeff coming out and playing SES alone, then the rest of the band coming out and each joining in when the moment seemed right along with the mix-up with the Newhart theme.... just classic. Seemed to put everyone at ease immediately. I love Hell is Chrome, and Handshake seemed to be one of the best versions I've ever heard of it. Just That Simple -- wow is all I can say. John has such a beautiful, pure voice and I love the lyrics. And Andrew Bird showing up was such a treat. The rest of the show just continued to blow me away, song after song. And the real encore with the Hoodoo Voodoo interplay of Nels and Pat - wow. Lou, they have done it that way before, but often Jeff has joined in (Charlottesville comes to mind).

Anyway, just loved seeing Sue whistle for the encore in between talking to some official looking folks; one guy was shaking his head and she just kept talking to him like, oh yes they're doing more.

Also, did the sound seemed somewhat less loud or was that just me and a different location, or my stuffed ears from this cold? I had ear plugs (I didn't the first night) but took them off after HIC since it seemed less loud.

All in all, a needed break today, then back to it Monday. Thank god I am taking the week off.

I posted some pictures from the balcony here. Looking forward to Monday!

Thanks for these! They are great!! Love the shot of Nels and Pat. :thumbup

What an amazing show, it might be my favorite ever. I thought it started mellow and crescendoed into a night of magic. Jeff's comment: "This is so much better than unpaid rehearsal...woops!" was hilarious. I never thought I'd hear Wake Up Feeling Old (was that a first time played?)or Hotel Az. This band is so on top of their game right now. And how about Tweedy's solo on Man Who Loves You....he's stepping up his game! The Lonely One was so perfect as a closer - outstanding!!

I posted some pictures from the balcony here. Looking forward to Monday!

You got some great pics of some of my favorite moments.

Last night I think was the closest to perfect Wilco show I've seen. Amazing mix of new and old, and I got to hear some of the songs I've been hoping for (Dash 7, Magazine) and some really beautiful versions of others (Just That Simple, Lonely One).

I thought the sound was better last night than Friday -- maybe it was where I was standing -- although we couldn't hear Andrew Bird too well on Nels' side, which was sad. The crowd, at least the people around me, was stellar, with little jostling, whoo-ing or yelling, and lots of singing and dancing. Plus, both nights kind taller guys have let me and my husband -- both on the short side -- move forward since we wouldn't be blocking anyone's view. It was much appreciated :worship

The end of this show, waiting for the encore, and then the off-the-cuff, rocking encore is probably my favorite concert moment ever. The crowd just wouldn't leave. It was just such a genuine moment -- I loved it.

I'm sad I can't make Monday's show (damned job) but I'm looking forward to the last two!

Also, did the sound seemed somewhat less loud or was that just me and a different location, or my stuffed ears from this cold? I had ear plugs (I didn't the first night) but took them off after HIC since it seemed less loud.

Definitely seemed less loud to me. The first night it was painful at times, and I bought ear plugs for Saturday, but didn't end up using them.

Sarah and I got to hear Muzzle Of Bees (:wub) and Via Chicago through the miracle of satellite. We added our voices to the sing along parts in Via Chicago and joined in screaming and clapping during the drum breakdown. :blush Yeah, we're geeks.

Thank you again Edie. You're a sweetheart for including us in the show.

I also called you during Magazine, but realized it was probably past your bedtime. Check your voicemail.

The Saturday night Rock Set was some of the best Wilco I've ever seen. You can throw in every rock cliche on this one; ripped the roof off the joint, heads exploded. It all happened. And it all ended with the most beautiful The Lonely 1. Aaaaah.

I hope they repeat Monday on Monday.

Greg Kot should check out Wilcobase or read it more closely. He says in his blog

Guest Speed Racer
Definitely seemed less loud to me. The first night it was painful at times, and I bought ear plugs for Saturday, but didn't end up using them.

Aaaaand, VC slowly goes deaf. :lol

The sound was clearly toned down last night. My ears didn't ring after Saturday, and I didn't wear ear plugs until late in the second set.

LouieB

Both of these shows were really good. I would give the edge to last night's show though.
Tonight was great, but I think last night blew me away a bit more...probably had something to do with all the repeats tonight.

Yeah, the sheer "first-timed-ness" of Friday made it amazing. But they were both smoking hot.

the dj launches into is that the thanks i get & our table belted out & clapped along as if we were still at the show. the other patrons were certainly getting a kick out of us!

i think happeningstone is my concert soul mate.

:wub You rock my world. True.

was that the drunk idiot two times the size of me that i almost got into it with? i should really stop doing that.

Hahaha! The Bear had your back. Did you notice how he had his arm around Baloo for most of the evening after that?! LOL Good friends! I'm telling you, Rob's a lover, not a fighter.

I am sooooooooo sad to be back at home in the "real world" for two days until I return on Wednesday, but I'm so happy to be able to hit three of them! I've loved hanging with so many cool, laid-back people in line, then during the show, and then afterwards. The Lonely 1 at the end of last night was .... is beyond description. I can't stop listening to it today. (Or maybe it's because right now I feel like The Lonely 1 after the last two days...)

We were lower center balcony again last night ( ;) thanks to a certain sweetie VC'er) and the sound was lower than day 1. And yes, it did get raised at some point mid-show and I had to use the earplugs again, which I don't mind at all. I don't go to any shows without them.

These two shows have been amazing. At the times in the past when I have had close-up reserved seats, being that close is really exciting and so in-the-moment, but I also really enjoy being able to watch the band from the balcony because you see all 6 of them equally well at each moment (albeit from a distance) as opposed to stage front where it's hard to see Glenn and Mikael and Pat (at the keyboards), and that's half the band.

After the show last night, my friends from Ft. Wayne and I had a quick bite at the Mexican place and cabbed it back to the condo we're staying at, and immediately had to look up the stats on Wilcobase on Dash 7 and realized we had witnessed an absolute first - Dash 7 full band. I knew it was a rarity, but I'm a sucky fan not to know it had never been played as a full band. :hmm. So thanks to Jeff and the band for working up that song as a 6-piece instead of the original band structure as it was in 1995 for AM. I feel so lucky to be here for these shows. This band keeps astonishing me with each turn I've witnessed along the way. :wub

Great seeing everyone coming and going ... but finally meeting PDub? Icing on the cake! :wave

What does this mean??? Are these shows being webcast somewhere??? Someone please let me know!!!!

It means I was sending set list updates out via Twitter from The Riv, but I didn't know that my connection had crapped out after Kingpin.

I'll try again Monday night.

I never thought I'd hear Wake Up Feeling Old (was that a first time played?)

nah, it was played a lot on the summerteeth tour and then once in 2003... first time now since then

Greg Kot should check out Wilcobase or read it more closely. He says in his blog