I was just reading this at Dark UFO:

In perhaps the most unexpectedly funny scene of the night, in Miles' next flashback he gets swept into a van by hooded (again with the hoodies!), partially masked men, yet all he cares about is losing his tasty fish taco. Bram -- the same guy who ends up on Alcatraz and appears to be in cahoots with Ilana -- is in charge of the team in the van, and attempts to talk Miles out of going to the Island. But since Bram offers up absolutely no money, Miles is having none of his spiel, and summarily gets tossed back out onto the street.

There were two main things I took away from this flashback. The first was pretty obvious: Miles has assumed that Bram works for Ben. Why else would Bram want to dissuade him from going to the Island to catch Mr. Linus, right? So Miles asked Bram for $3.2 million in order to stay put -- double what Naomi offered him to board the Kahana. And because Miles thought Ben controlled Bram's Van o' Thugs, that's why he repeated his request for $3.2 million in "Eggtown" (in exchange for falsely reporting back to Keamy's team that Ben had been killed).

[No, a six-pack is NOT what lies in the shadow of the statue...] Now, Miles' thought process was a perfectly valid one -- you can't fault him for jumping to the conclusion that he did. Other reasons why it makes sense to believe that Ben is managing the likes of both Bram and Ilana (as they were definitely working together on Alcatraz when they captured Frank) include:

- They didn't stop Ben, Locke, Sun or Lapidus from leaving with the outriggers

- Ben and Ilana shared a quick but cryptic exchange about the mystery crate

- Ilana and Bram waited until it was fair to assume that Ben was safely over on the main Island before pulling out their guns and attempting to open the crate on Alcatraz

- It's kind of late in the series to introduce yet another group of people who want to control the Island

But then again... some of us watching the show (including myself) weren't quite as convinced as Miles was that Bram was a part of Ben's off-Island posse.

[You need to fill that hole in your heart with peace, love and daisies, man. How Zen am I?] Which leads to the second thing I took away from the van scene: there may be a third party at work -- controlled by neither Widmore nor Ben. Actually, this isn't exactly the first time the idea of yet another mystery contingent has come up. In fact, in my "Ji Yeon" post in early Season Four I wrote: "I have a sneaking suspicion that there is a third party involved in the battle for the Island, and that this organization is playing Ben and Widmore against each other while advancing its own agenda in the process." At that point in time I thought that perhaps "the Economist" was heading up this other group. That still may be the case, but there are a few other interesting theories floating around about this group that deserve consideration.

But before I go any further, I have to name this possible third party that's aligned with neither Widmore nor Ben. Let's call it the SOTS group, for "Shadow of the Statue," since that seems to be what they like asking each other about. Right now, the only people we know are in this group are Bram, Ilana, the two other Ajira passengers helping them with the crate on Alcatraz, and the whoever else was in Bram's van.

Who could they possibly represent?

TAKE ME TO YOUR LEADER

Here are the main theories floating around:

[i liked the old logo better.] 1) The New Dharma Initiative

This is the theory I'm subscribing to at the moment. I mentioned in my last post that at Comic-Con last year, the Dharma "recruiting centers" were most likely a hint that that the organization would reestablish itself (on the show). And when I heard all of Bram's sappy talk about how Miles could never "fill the empty hole inside" of him with money, the first thing I thought was, "those Dharma hippies are at it again!" Seriously, who says that sort of thing? Plus, Bram and Ilana have that big ol' crate they're working on opening... and we all know how much the old Dharma liked to drop supplies by the crate-load back in the day. Finally, Bram promised Miles information about his father... and Chang was of course a part of the original Dharma.

2) Friends of Richard

If anyone has the right to be pissed off about how things have turned out on the Island, it's Ageless Richard. He's like, "I'm sick of everyone ripping on my eyeliner, being jealous of my sweet outfits and time traveling all over the place! I need to bring in some reinforcements and wipe these idiots out once and for all." [God, I hate you people!] We know that Richard has left the Island before (to visit Locke throughout his life, to recruit Juliet, etc.), so who's to say that he hasn't been building an army to call in when he just couldn't stand dealing with those pesky humans anymore? Plus, who else would know "what lies in the shadow of the statue" besides the ageless guy who was probably one of the only people around when the statue was actually tall enough to have a shadow? (An offshoot of this theory is that the SOTS group is made up of other "original inhabitants" of the Island, like Richard.)

3) Team Hawking

Ellie's gone rogue! Think about it -- she was on the Island in 1954 and seemed to be one of the Hostiles, along with Richard and Widmore. She was still there in 1977 and apparently in some position of authority, as some of the Hostiles were worried because Richard didn't clear taking Little Ben to The Temple with either her or Charles. [Who ME? Surely I'm not that devious... or am I?] Somewhere along the way she gave birth to Faraday and left the Island (not sure in what order)... and now she's in an old (but still functioning) Dharma station, from which she helped Ben and the O5 return to the Island?!? She may just be the most mysterious character on this show behind Jacob. Perhaps she's assembled a team to recapture control of the Island for herself and show the men who's really boss? I consider this the least likely possibility, though; Eloise may be a somewhat solitary figure and not necessarily aligned with Ben or Widmore, but that doesn't mean she wants to rule the Island. However, stranger things have happened, and it's not like I would be disappointed if Hawking shoved her Grrl Power in everyone's faces... For the Win!

[You know I'm hard core!] 4) Other Randoms

Maybe The Economist is behind the SOTS crew? Or Jacob somehow organized a team of humans back on the mainland? Perhaps Abaddon didn't really die and he's behind this group? Let's see... what other names could we toss around? Annie? Waaalllt? Kate's stepfather? Cassidy? Claire's old boyfriend Thomas? I know... VINCENT is controlling the SOTS team!

Regardless of who is backing the SOTS group, I'm pretty certain about two things: 1) they're part of "the war that's coming to the Island" which Widmore warned Locke about, and 2) one of them will probably end up getting shot while chasing down the time travelers in the outriggers. So let's hope they don't take Frank out to sea with them...

I have wondered about that for a while - is there another group at work here.

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just reading this at Dark UFO:

I have wondered about that for a while - is there another group at work here.

Surely some interesting scenarios. But geez...there are less than 20 episodes left. We are gonna have a new group introduced at this late date?

But, a third group is more and more plausible.

I have had a thought running around in my head for a while: certain individuals who come to the island are merged/taken over by/channeling the souls of the dead. Anubis is the protector of the dead. Hell...I don't. My mind was bown about halfway through season 1.

I'd be all for Richard taking control...I feel like he's the only one who deserves some power at this point. Original inhabitant, best interest of the island always in mind, is really the one who brings the most important people to the island..in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he is the one plotting Ben and Widmore against each other in an attempt to have them wipe each other out so he can reclaim his precious island. I like it

I'd be all for Richard taking control...I feel like he's the only one who deserves some power at this point. Original inhabitant, best interest of the island always in mind, is really the one who brings the most important people to the island..in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he is the one plotting Ben and Widmore against each other in an attempt to have them wipe each other out so he can reclaim his precious island. I like it

Maybe ABC can do a Fantasy Island type spin-off with Richard.

This season seems to be the A Ghost Is Born of Lost. People either see it as a worthy follow up to the epic season 4 or it is a major disappointment.

My money is on the Initiative coming back to the Island.

Cast members were getting killed off (i.e. fired) when the got popped for Drunken Driving...

Wonder what will happen to Henry Ian Cusak?

Lost's Henry Ian Cusick Accused of Sexual Harassment

Sat., Apr. 25, 2009 11:20 AM PDT

Desmond may be Daniel Faraday's constant for time travel, but a Lost crewmember claims he was just a constant pain in the butt.

A former ABC Entertainment employee filed a harassment and sexual battery claim against Henry Ian Cusick Friday, claiming the Scottish actor groped her and made inappropriate sounds and gestures around her in October 2007 on the Lost set.

Plaintiff Chelsea Stone alleges that on or about Oct. 16, Cusick "placed his hand on her buttocks" and then caressed her back "while making moaning sounds." He then put his face in her cleavage and wagged his head back and forth, according to the lawsuit filed in Los Angeles Superior Court. He then touched her breasts with his hands and kissed her on the mouth, Stone says.

Stone says that ABC and production company Grass Skirt Entertainment, which are also named as defendants, did nothing to keep her away from Cusick after she complained and, over the next several days, the actor and fellow employees became "very hostile" toward her.

On Oct. 28, 2007, Stone was informed that she had been fired, the lawsuit states.

Per the suit, "plaintiff suffered humiliation and severe mental and emotional distress, and suffered injury when by means of her stress Plaintiff miscarried," causing Stone to incur various medical expenses and suffer 'physical injuries, physical sickness, substantial losses in earnings" and other indignities.

A rep for Cusick would not comment on the lawsuit.

Stone is asking for unspecified damages to cover hostile work environment harassment, failure to remedy and prevent harassment, retaliation, wrongful termination in violation of public policy, intentional infliction of emotional distress and sexual battery.

Are you ready for the 100th epsiode tonight? :dancing

612304359_67090c05f2.jpg

funny-graphs-lost-kate-poll.jpg

kate_juliet.jpg

I thought we were about to find out there for a minute. I guess we did.

They should have used Complication by The Monks in this episode.

Wow

I did call

Daniel being Widmore's son.

And how come Richard and Ellie didn't remember Dan?

I don't get that. Faraday is all "no no, you can't change anything". And then he's like "wait, maybe you can!". And so he comes up with this idea, goes into a camp known as The Hostiles, waves his gun around, and then is all "oh damn, I got shot". Did he not wonder "oh hey, maybe this didn't work out?"!!

im trying not to let myself get worked up about this. i feel like something else is going on here.

what would sending daniel back to the island to die do/change for eloise?? what does this accomplish? if eloise DID know that this would happen, that sending him back would mean she kills him (again), then does this mean that she lived her entire life pushing daniel to be a physicist/figure out time travel just so he could get back to that exact moment in time...just so she could kill him again?

something is missing. i don't know, this is where i start confusing myself. but something doesnt seem right. or am i not understanding the time travel thing correctly again?

I don't get that. Faraday is all "no no, you can't change anything". And then he's like "wait, maybe you can!". And so he comes up with this idea, goes into a camp known as The Hostiles, waves his gun around, and then is all "oh damn, I got shot". Did he not wonder "oh hey, maybe this didn't work out?"!!

yeah, i dont know...

his assurance to jack that it was very possible for one of them to die..the way he pranced in there with a gun screaming for eloise, making sure she heard him (not to mention he was wearing dharma garb..)..the way he got the information out about the bomb right away and didnt wait for eloise (perhaps so they could make the connection before he got taken out by someone?)..this also seems a little fishy to me. maybe this was still part of some kind of "plan"? maybe this was all still part of him making sure the right events played out?

i dont know, maybe not.

i need to watch this one again..

yeah, i dont know...

..the way he got the information out about the bomb right away and didnt wait for eloise (perhaps so they could make the connection before he got taken out by someone?)..this also seems a little fishy to me. maybe this was still part of some kind of "plan"? maybe this was all still part of him making sure the right events played out?

i dont know, maybe not.

I think even though he said they were variables, he still had a plan. Like he knew that had to happen to get the plan going.

i need to watch this one again..

Me too! :blink

Theory about Daniel's lineage:

It was told to us that Daniel is son of Eliose Hawking and Charles Widmore. However we have seen through out Lost the parents are not who we are told (Locke and his foster care; Kate and her father; Alex and Ben; Aaron). With that I surmize the following things:

1. Dan is adopted from unknown parties

a. was taken ala Alex by the Others

b. is the son of someone else we know (ie Jack/Kate; Sawyer/Juliet, etc.)*

2. Dan is Eloise's biological son, but not Charles

a. Charles adopted him

3. Charles does not know that Dan is not is biological son, and the father is unknown

a. Richard is my best guess

b. Another Lostie (Jack, Sawyer, etc.)*

*Note the actor Jeremey Davies was born in 1969, which barring any Charlotte age SNAFU's, puts Daniel's age around 7 or 8 in 1977. Which mean he is alive (on island?) at the time of his death. Which blows up the a Lostie is Dan's parent. But is worth thinking about in light of the Charlotte age SNAFU.

If Dan was on island 1977 was he paling around with Ben?