• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you ready for some LOST?

john-locke.jpg

I am so fucking ready for some Lost right now. As I usually say on Wednesdays, I'd gladly give up the next ten hours of my life if I could just fast forward directly to 9 PM. This week and next is it right? A double for next week?

Is it just me or has Jin's role been really diminished this season? I mean, he can speak now, you'd think they'd use him more.

Epiphany time

First train of thought:

The statue is apparently Taweret. Taweret's mate was Apep, an evil demon, the deification of darkness and chaos...in other words, a proto-satan.The yin and yang, the dark and light. Taweret and Apep.

The island is a prison.The others are either inmates in this prison or are gaolers. Locke wants to kill Jacob to free him, hence Jacob's plea for Locke to 'help me'.

Second train of thought:

the 815ers are seeking to detonate Jughead in 2007. If they do so, there is no possibility of it being detonated in 1977. I am uncertain as to the motivations of the 815ers and who they are siding with.

CW wants to go back to the island, but why? It can't be because he didn't age on the island, because he most certainly did.

We know Richard is very old. But is also VERY subservient. Ben referred to him as an advisor (Consigliere), but he is a constant. How will he react to Locke's schemes?

I don't get it.

They are in 1977...

No...

the 815ers (the Ajira Air survivors...Ileana and Bram's group) are in 2007

Also, why does everyone type in the spoiler stuff these days?? Would anyone ever read this topic before seeing an episode????

Cause it looks so f'ing cool. I am gonna write all my posts in spoilerese.

I don't get it... if they detonate it in 2007 the bomb will still be in 1977 to be blown up.

May I say that this time travel stuff makes my heads hurt...

Cause it looks so f'ing cool. I am gonna write all my posts in spoilerese.

Good point, for now on I am only going to write like this on Via Chicago.

[quote name='Crow Daddy Magnus

Interesting thoughts on Hurley as the variable...

Alright Dude, We're From the Future...

Incredibly awesome scene. From the last minute grab of the vanilla cookies to the look Jin gives Hurley when he doesn't know the president, this is one of my favorite moments of the season. Chang continues to be amazingly cool. I loved the interaction between him and Miles when it was finally revealed that he was his son. By believing Daniel's prophecy and buying into their story, we're set up later in the episode for the inevitable send-off between Chang and his wife/son. Although we knew this would happen anyway, it was pretty touching to see. Miles' mom resented her husband not for doing anything wrong, but for not explaining why she had to be shipped off the island, never to see her husband again.

Desmond May be the Constant, But...

Gonna put a new spin on one of my old theories here, going back to S3 when I called him the 'indestructible epicenter of all things'. I talked about this a little on the ODI podcast last week, but I wanted to put it here for everyone who didn't hear it. Here goes:

The Variable is Hurley.

Since the very beginning of LOST, this has been true. We've never seen it so clearly until now, because we've never really had reason to scrutinize it. But let's examine the evidence for a minute, and then you guys can make your own assumptions. Here's what I'm saying:

* Hurley almost didn't make Flight 815. In fact, the woman at the counter tells him: "I don't think you're supposed to be on this flight, dear".

* When Ben sees Hurley on Ajira 316, he looks him in the eye and tells him: "Hugo, who told you to come?"

* In Left Behind, episode S3.15, Hurley stands on the beach with Sawyer sitting behind him. He then looks out into the ocean, and says "I'm not supposed to be here".

* In Locke's vision where Boone's wheeling him through the airport, Hurley's the only person not getting on the plane. Everyone else is boarding the flight, but Hurley is not a passenger: instead he's stamping tickets at the gate.

* In S1, Hurley knew he wouldn't die on the bridge. He just had a 'feeling' he'd be alright - and he was. At the end of S3 Hurley knew he could get that 30+ year old van to start... and he got it started. He drives the van into Pryce through a hail of gunfire, without ever taking a single bullet.

* Jack, Kate, Sawyer, and Hurley all get captured by the Others. But Hurley was the one person they let go.

Hugo has always been lucky: rolling the dice, winning at horseshoes, never missing at basketball, winning the lottery. He eternally makes his own luck... and if this is the case, it stands to reason that he can make his own future. Hugo makes his own kind of music - he's been doing this both on and off the island. He's untouchable, unreachable, and the island can't affect him for a very simple reason: he's not supposed to be here.

Think about Hurley's distractions, too. The island tried to bribe him with a storeroom of food, but Hugo blew it up. It tried to offer him romance, but then his potential girlfriend gets shot. It even tries to get him to kill himself... by using Dave to almost convince Hurley to jump off a cliff. Didn't work.

Outside of the island? Hurley's in a mental institution, where someone is watching over him (because they can't touch him) to make sure he stays put. He gets out anyway. Then he's captured and imprisoned by the police. Somehow he gets out of that, too. No matter what happens, Hurley can't be contained. Hurley can somehow even see Jacob's cabin, because he's not affected by whatever illusions or smokescreens the island puts up.

Even now, it's no coincidence that Hurley's the one voice arguing in favor that things can be changed. He argues with Miles in Whatever Happened Happened, and he's trying to rewrite history with his Empire Strikes Back script. Hurley's seen more ghosts than anyone else. Charlie comes to Hurley as a ghost, telling him "They need you". Who needs him? Everyone else in the story. The Hurley bird is even shrieking his name over and over in the finale. The answer is obvious to me: Hurley's the one person who'll end up changing things.

What's funny is that we've always thought the game changer would come from one of the bigger players: Desmond, Ben, Jack, Locke - but if you think about LOST in general, it makes sense that such changes would come from someone you'd least expect. Hurley is perfect because no one's expecting him to matter. He's done nothing but cook, divide up food, play ping pong, and make everyone else laugh - including us.

Hurley is the island's very big problem because he's the one person who's "not here for a reason". And that's the very reason why he'll end up being so important: WHH can't apply to Hurley, because he was never a part of the plan (timeline?) in the first place. In short, I'm saying Hurley is the variable.

Where did you get that?

Dark Ufo

The op is vozzek69

I have thought about this before. I think he goes way back, whatever the case may be.

I always figured that the eyeliner that Richard wears means that he's an ancient Egyptian.

kingtut.jpg