Jay Bennett R.I.P

that charity trying to get 'whatever happened...' a proper release sounds cool.

i wonder what is gonna happen to 'kicking at the perfumed air.' i was looking forward to it. maybe itll come out in some form someday.

• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I get goose bumps every time I see that scene......great song .....should've been on YHF if at all at least "hidden'' on the end.     -Robert

This isn't in anyway a confirmation but as of 6:58 eastern his wikipedia page has news of his death: Jay Bennett.   --Mike

Does anyone know Basil II (Robert) well? He's a huge fan of JB, is there a fast way to contact him?   --Mike

Posted Images

Guest Hollinger.
I think this is a good idea, I'm listening to it right now and it's fantastic. I would gladly pay to see this guy released.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rockpr...logize-on-vinyl

Not sure what the plan for it is now that Jay's gone, but it would be something to consider.

http://rockproper.com/jay-bennett/whatever...-apologize.html

That's the link to download the album. If you haven't heard it, please take the time. It's some of the most beautiful music Jay ever wrote.

You know, we should do something in honor of Jay. Any ideas?

I know I'll feel better if I do something. Maybe I'll donate to the organization that helps musicians without health insurance. I gotta figure out what the name of that is. Anyone?

Sweet Relief, the charity started in the early '90s when Victoria Williams was diagnosed with MS, is still helping uninsured musicians. Wilco is on their list of supporters, too.

Wow, what a damn shame. So young and unexpected. That is the second death I have heard of today. Sometimes days just suck balls. As someone once said, I bet they have a hell of a band in heaven. They just got another great player.

Sweet Relief, the charity started in the early '90s when Victoria Williams was diagnosed with MS, is still helping uninsured musicians. Wilco is on their list of supporters, too.

I'll be happy to chip in to whatever the decided charity will be.

Incredibly sad...

Listening to 9/16/00 - Toad's Place - New Haven, CT right now. This is one amazing show and really demonstrates Jay's chops outside of the studio.

RIP.

That was a stellar show, and my first time seeing the band. I didn't truly become a fan until that night.

I'd imagine his family will announce a preferred charity in lieu of flowers. That's pretty common among public deaths.

Yes, of course. I was referring to a charitable donation. :cheekkiss In today's world, flowers don't really help much except look pretty for a day. :hmm

I'll be happy to chip in to whatever the decided charity will be.

People can do whatever they like. Wait for the family to designate a charity, or just do something important to YOU in Jay's name. It's all good.

Yes -- Sweet Relief! Thank you everyone.

PIN THIS THREAD PLEASE!

I hear ya ;) but it's not really necessary at this time. You would be surprised how often people don't look at the pinned area and then would start a new thread. I feel pretty confident this thread will stay on the top of page 1 for a long time due to so many people caring about Jay and posting here about their feelings on his passing. We'll keep an eye on it. :cheekkiss

Still no word from Robert (Basil II) here. He made me a compilation disc his favorite Bennett solo tracks that is excellent. I think I'll bust that one out today.

Man, this just digs deep. To everyone who knew him and loved him I just offer my most sincere condolences.

http://rockandrollghost.blogspot.com/2009/...09-may-you.html

I think if I wrote anymore right now I'd probably break down. My wife is worried that I'm taking this hard, so I've been trying to put on a good face for her so she won't worry. But I'm sad - I'm terribly sad and really don't even know what to do with myself today besides constantly look here and other places for comfort.

I think if I wrote anymore right now I'd probably break down. My wife is worried that I'm taking this hard, so I've been trying to put on a good face for her so she won't worry. But I'm sad - I'm terribly sad and really don't even know what to do with myself today besides constantly look here and other places for comfort.

That's a beautiful story. Hang in there. :cheekkiss

Thanks for sharing, Bhickman. Hug your loved ones - they will understand what you're going through. Take care.

You are not alone here Bhickman. We know how much Jay meant to you, so rest assured you're with kindred spirits at VC, and hang in there buddy. That was a nice memorial you wrote.

Man I am really having a hard time with this news. Just yesterday afternoon I checked out JB's Myspace page for any news of the surgery and to listen to a few new songs and now this....I feel really alone with this news and I am glad I have a place like VC to go to where so many feel the same about Wilco and music in general.

Jay always meant so much to me because he was such a great talent and person.I connected with his music in a very special way. There was always a small part of me that held out hope that in some way he and Jeff could reconnect. Those records BT, ST and YHF have helped me get through so many hard times I will be forever grateful for JB contribution to such a wonderful pieces of art. It will live on forever and hopefully inspire many.

God Bless JB. I miss you immensely.

Listening to the The Beatles, and I come on this song. Made me sad and think of Jay Bennett...in many ways it's very fitting.

Blackbird singing in the dead of night

Take these broken wings and learn to fly.

All your life

You were only waiting for this moment to arise.

Take these sunken eyes and learn to see.

All your life

You were only waiting for this moment to be free.

Blackbird fly, Blackbird fly

Into the light of the dark black night.

Blackbird fly, Blackbird fly

Into the light of the dark black night.

Take these broken wings and learn to fly.

All your life

You were only waiting for this moment to arise

No offense at all to Jay, but Jeff and the band are a little occupied right now with their tour and such.

It's clearly on their (or at least Jeff's) mind, and Jay should be mourned, but expecting a long appreciation to be posted on Wilcoworld already is a bit much.

I don't think anybody expects a long anything from Wilco. Surely they are grieving too. But the above comment is about how subtle "RIP Jay Bennett" link appears on the Wilco homepage - it's rather well-hidden and appears in delayed animation.

some very nice words from casey @ rockproper, the folks who put out whatever happened, i apologize

(just pasting this here because the rockproper label's blog in time will have other news and advertisements etc on its blog, but mostly because it is an awesome tribute no one should miss reading)

Farewell to my mentor

I