Jay Bennett R.I.P

Why is it that we can never seem to remember that none of us has any real idea when our time will come? This makes me want to pause in my busy tracks and just breathe a prayer of thankfulness for everyone and everything I love in my life.

I've been really sad since this news broke, but I'm realizing that wherever Jay's spirit has moved on to (I do believe the spirit lives on) he is not in any pain from his hip, and has none of life's sadnesses there with him. Bless you, Jay, for the beauty you brought into my life. I'll be listening for all my days, I'm sure.

• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I get goose bumps every time I see that scene......great song .....should've been on YHF if at all at least "hidden'' on the end.     -Robert

This isn't in anyway a confirmation but as of 6:58 eastern his wikipedia page has news of his death: Jay Bennett.   --Mike

Does anyone know Basil II (Robert) well? He's a huge fan of JB, is there a fast way to contact him?   --Mike

Posted Images

I was 12 years old when I first saw Wilco and he amazed me with his abilities as a musician. I have yet to see anyone who was that talented be it live or in the studio. Jay had a gift and I think we are all lucky that he shared that gift with us.

I was shocked when I read this news. After I read it, I told someone about it who doesn't even know much about Wilco, and I found myself getting choked up as I talked about it, I could barely talk. I didn't expect to feel that emotional about it since I did not know Jay in the slightest, never even saw Wilco live when he was in the band. But he played an important role in music that has been very important in my life, and I suppose it made me realize just how much every individual person associated with Wilco (and many other bands/artists) have touched me through the years with their music, and what a shame it is (and will be) when their lives end. I don't know, I'm doing a terrible job of articulating my feelings exactly, so I'll finally just say: Rest in Peace, Jay.

I was fortunate to have seen Wilco w/ Jay on the Summerteeth tour. They were on the top of their "rock 'n' roll" game and Jay blew me away. I have seen Wilco 15 or more times since, but that was my first Wilco show and it remains a fond memory. I was also fortunate enough to see Bennett/Burch at a club in NOLA in 2002 (with Centro-matic). Bennett stayed and chatted with everyone for a long time and entertained autographs, gear questions, YHF questions, everything. It sounds like everyone who interacted with him have the same type of stories--and it has been heartwarming the last day to read all of these memories. That being said, it hit me hardest to read that Jeff dedicated "Monday" to him in the last show. I'll just add, that he has got to be in a more peaceful place than where he was the last few months...

Yes, they played a bit of "I'm Always In Love" during the FanCam segment and Len mentioned seeing him play a solo show. Nice show of respect.

I may be a Sox fan, but that is a classy move by the Cubs.

Well, I wrote this for Jay Bennett, you could say:

Godspeed my friend as you get to the end

to that kingdom in the sky

Go board that plane with the ticket you obtain

‘cause it must be your time to fly

You’ve won your games and you’ve heard those names

and you’ve sat there in defeat

But it was never that bad, you had what you had

and you never let yourself get beat

And you walked those roads, you’ve borne those loads

but you never let it get you down

And your journey might finally come to an end

but you filled it with your sound

Godspeed my friend as you get to the end

to that kingdom in the sky

Go board that plane with the ticket you obtain

‘cause it must be your time to fly

It'll be recorded sooner rather than later...if anyone's interested.

http://rockandrollghost.blogspot.com/2009/...09-may-you.html

I think if I wrote anymore right now I'd probably break down. My wife is worried that I'm taking this hard, so I've been trying to put on a good face for her so she won't worry. But I'm sad - I'm terribly sad and really don't even know what to do with myself today besides constantly look here and other places for comfort.

Nice tribute, I know how you feel, it's been a rough one for me as well. I have actually had to stay off the computer most of the day so I could get some other work taken care of, but I was thinking about it all day, and I played a lot of Bennett related Wilco stuff I had on my ipod, I could only make it halfway through Summerteeth, I just about lost it at Pieholden and at his and Jeff's cover of "True Love Will Find You In the End" from the 7/25/1999 show.

Though over my years here I have made some jokes at Jay's expense, I have nothing but the utmost respect for him as a person and his contributions to the band. I must admit I was always kind of holding out hope eventually he and Tweedy would collaborate again at some point. It's just an absolute shame, all of the posts that have had some variation of shit, fuck or damn seem to hit the closest to how I feel.

--Mike

Where?!? All I see is info about some American Idol kook...

Hey dunnright - the avatar is from the end of the 8/16/99 ACL show, right? Well done. When I was watching that last night I paused on that for a few and me and the missus got kinda choked up.

Wow -- what shocking news. Really really sad. Condolences to his family and friends, many of them here on this board.

Fitting somehow that I got a text tonight about this from the friend that got me to see Wilco live for the first time in '04. I was taking a break from the computer so didn't see the news until now.

Godspeed, Jay.

www.gloriousnoise.com has a pretty good summation of the events of the past few weeks. I guess they had talked to him only a week or so ago.

I think it is very fitting that of the best non-album Wilco songs chosen just a few days ago on this board, "Venus Stopped the Train" and "Cars Cant Escape" were both near the top. What an awesome songwriter.

Hey dunnright - the avatar is from the end of the 8/16/99 ACL show, right? Well done. When I was watching that last night I paused on that for a few and me and the missus got kinda choked up.

Yup.

I had the picture of Jay from his management page, but then I saw that VC had the same pic on the front page.

I was watching this on youtube and I just paused it. Had to grab it.

Jeff is doing what I wish I could be doing right now. :(