Jay Bennett R.I.P

• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I get goose bumps every time I see that scene......great song .....should've been on YHF if at all at least "hidden'' on the end.     -Robert

This isn't in anyway a confirmation but as of 6:58 eastern his wikipedia page has news of his death: Jay Bennett.   --Mike

Does anyone know Basil II (Robert) well? He's a huge fan of JB, is there a fast way to contact him?   --Mike

Posted Images

Just...awfulness. We'll probably fire up the Austin City Limits Wilco show from '01 here shortly.

My Jay story: He played the Slow Bar in Nashville w/Burch on May 2, 2002. We had to miss the gig due to a conflict that night with a show by bass god Mike Watt, late of Minutemen and Iggy & Stooges...anyway, we stopped by Slow Bar after to see if we could catch the last few songs of JB's set.

Well, he was still there, hanging out at the bar, and when we told him we'd had to miss his show due to having gone to Mike Watt - whose music he told us he respected greatly - he took us backstage and played us a couple tunes. Wish to hell I'd had the tape recorder. What an awesome guy.

Here's hoping he's at peace, wherever he is.

Wow this is the first time one of my indie music heros has died. This is terrible. Rest in peace, Jay.

Has it been determined for sure that he had the surgery? It seems it was mentioned, and then nobody mentioned it again. Sort of unclear. I could have missed it, though, this thread is moving pretty fast.

He did have the surgery. I talked to someone in the know the weekend of the Champaign Bottle Rockets show, and he'd had it then. He announced that he was having the surgery on his MySpace blog on April 24th, according to the NPR link.

I just got back from a music festival, where I really haven't heard much news or anything. I come home to this.

Weird thing is, I just recently found out he lives in Urbana, where I am currently living. I had never seen him around or anything.

RIP Jay, and my condolences to his loved ones.

:upset

Upsetting news. Listening to YHF right now and catching phrases that are sad. Reading his blog from a month ago is hard too because he talks about his hopes, fears, and future.

Rest in peace Jay and thank you for bringing joy in the form of music.

Guest Hollinger.

I hadn't had the chance to sit down and listen to his new album yet. Put it on tonight, and my god, it's easily the best album he'd released solo. Really amazing work.

Goodnight, Jay, and thank you for all the beautiful music.

I went from Summerteeth right straight to The Palace at 4 A.M. while working tonight. I think Jay made a lot of solo records of average goodness, but this is easily one of the very best things he ever produced in any capacity. It was eclipsed by YHF (which was actually released on the same day, IIRC), but that doesn't change the fact that it's one of the strongest guitar pop albums I've ever heard. The first few songs sound so joyous and alive that it's easy to celebrate the man's many talents even in the face of his tragically young death. I highly recommend everybody give this forgotten classic a spin in between the classic Wilco records.