Jay Bennett R.I.P

• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I get goose bumps every time I see that scene......great song .....should've been on YHF if at all at least "hidden'' on the end.     -Robert

This isn't in anyway a confirmation but as of 6:58 eastern his wikipedia page has news of his death: Jay Bennett.   --Mike

Does anyone know Basil II (Robert) well? He's a huge fan of JB, is there a fast way to contact him?   --Mike

Posted Images

been listening to The Engines are Idle over and over. 2:51 into the song is heartbreaking...

In the end I suppose

You sink or you swim

But your chance would be better

If you weren't chained to him

'Cause its ageless and timeless

But beauty must fade

And it looked so much better

When the picture was made

And your cries always sounded like laughter

What am I to do

And your lies weren't the biggest factor

But they had something to do

With the love that lasted a lifetime

In a year

I think this should be a lesson to all of us, at just how short life can be. Make sure everyone you care about knows it. Don't sit around waiting for life to reconcile you with someone... it's just too short.

As a young musician I can't even begin to explain the effect that Jay's production and musicianship had on me. I still remember being 17 years old and discovering Yankee Hotel Foxtrot... listening to the textures on that record and thinking to myself "ahh! that's what I've been searching for!". There's only one reason why I have a banjo, multiple guitars, keyboards, lap steel, bass guitar, and recording equipment in my bed room, and it's Jay Bennett.

I think this should be a lesson to all of us, at just how short life can be. Make sure everyone you care about knows it. Don't sit around waiting for life to reconcile you with someone... it's just too short.

Amen. Truer words have never been spoken.

--Mike

Guest Speed Racer

Oh my god. I went out tonight shortly after the rumors started, and I get home to this. I knew in the back of my mind it was too likely to be untrue, but I'm still shocked. I'm just shocked, and really that's all I can say right now.

That was great solace.

Jay is the first musician that I have really really admired that has passed away, in a cliched sense I feel at loss for words.

Listening to Summerteeth now, this is Jay's album.

I said the same thing...for me, one of the first losses of a musical hero from MY generation.

A sad day, indeed...

Did someone get ahold of Basil II? I'm thinking of you buddy, hope you're doing as well as possible under the circumstances.

--Mike.

Donna said she would. I lost his number in the great PM fiasco. Basil II was the dude who broght me here. He's the best.

When we came here today, all we wanted to say is how much we'll miss you. :ohwell

Donna said she would. I lost his number in the great PM fiasco. Basil II was the dude who broght me here. He's the best.

Yeah. he hooked me up with a lot of shows a few years back, a few Bennett/Tweedy and a really good Bennett/Burch show as well. Thanks to both you and Donna for taking care of that.

--Mike

Listening to Whatever Happened I Apologize right now.

That's the only Jay solo album I have. Which should I check out next?

Try the Palace At 4am...his first album Post-Wilco

EDIT: It came out the same day that YHF did. One of the most memorable days of my life. I didn't actually get to hear "Palace" until much later, though.

I said the same thing...for me, one of the first losses of a musical hero from MY generation.

A sad day, indeed...

It was weird when I first saw the thread and in the first page there was understandably a lot of doubt I just kept getting these eery flashbacks to reading the woxy boards the day Elliott Smith died, and how it all started as rumors and then four or five pages in it got confirmed. I just had this awful feeling in my stomach, that it was going to turn out to be true with both Elliott and sadly with Jay as well. I am still really broken up about it.

--Mike

Did someone get ahold of Basil II? I'm thinking of you buddy, hope you're doing as well as possible under the circumstances.

--Mike.

I sent him an email but haven't heard back.

Man, I'm just feeling all washed out with sadness. I wish Jay'd had many more years to create beautiful music. :no

does anybody know when his surgery was? if jay was still a smoker, i'm almost positive it was a pulmonary embolism.

Has it been determined for sure that he had the surgery? It seems it was mentioned, and then nobody mentioned it again. Sort of unclear. I could have missed it, though, this thread is moving pretty fast.

I sent him an email but haven't heard back.

Man, I'm just feeling all washed out with sadness. I wish Jay'd had many more years to create beautiful music. :no

Thanks, honey. :cheekkiss

When I first heard about this Robert was the first person I thought of.

i am stunned.

i got into wilco pretty late... a little bit after ghost was released. however, when i heard YHF, thats when i was sold and there was no turning back. my two favorite wilco records are YHF and BT. BY FAR. jay's contributions have been discussed for ages, but no matter how you slice it; these records could not have attained close to the level of greatness that they achieved without jay. his melodies just touch your heart, man.

i'm pretty open about the fact that jay really annoyed me sometimes personally... but musically (which is all that really matters on this messageboard) he has had a place in my heart since the first time i heard YHF. i am in absolute disbelief and i feel sick over this. It has yet to hit me that jay is no longer on this earth, but even the idea of it shakes me. The fact that his life ended on bad terms (the need for hup replacement surgery and the lawsuit) makes this even worse.

all i can hope is that jay's family, friends, and fans are doing ok tonight. also, i hope the band (past and present members) are all doing ok. my heart goes out to jeff, leroy, and john especially.