Also...how did "Mother" kill the villagers?

We saw that MiB conceived, made and was going to construct the FDW. Who re-excavated the well and actually bult the FDW? (Maybe not that important...probably some other group brought to the island.)

Where did the statue and temple come from? Neither were shown last night. If it was a group that came to the island after the events of ATS, why would they use Dynastic Egyptian symbols and constructs?

• Replies 711
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also...how did "Mother" kill the villagers?

We saw that MiB conceived, made and was going to construct the FDW. Who re-excavated the well and actually bult the FDW? (Maybe not that important...probably some other group brought to the island.)

Where did the statue and temple come from? Neither were shown last night. If it was a group that came to the island after the events of ATS, why would they use Dynastic Egyptian symbols and constructs?

Quoted from myself on previous page:

But who were the people? Were they just symbolic of early civilization? I think so. Better yet who killed them? Maybe their innate evil nature did it? Or Alison Janney got drunk on some wine and did it? But I think that they were symbolic of early civilization to prove a point to Jacob & MIB that they can be brutal. But after 6 years of Lost, who hasn't been brutal?

Jacob "released evil". But really like I said before after watching Lost's world for 6 years who hasn't been evil at one point? Did evil exist before a cloud of black smoke is released onto an Island and can't leave there? Yes, a woman killed a pregnant woman who just gave birth to twins, a group of men kill a boar, a town got burned down to the ground and everyone dies and this all happens before the cloud of black smoke appears before our eyes created seemingly from sending a dead man down a magic river to a bright light. Out of the light came the darkness. Ah, good ole' duality.

Now is Jacob going to believe that what happens after he has created the Smoke Monster is purely because of the Smoke Monster's existence a la : EVIL? All because his mother told him so? (see where I'm going?) What I think might happen is the questioning of one's faith by being what we are told for centuries. And who could Jacob ask for another perspective? For awhile no one.

Edit: I think it really isn't all that important who killed them, but rather the imagery imprinted onto Jacob/MIB to prove Mother's point to them.

I think we are left to presume that at some point Egyptians came to the Island and made all of this. Will we see it? Probably not. Although, it makes you wonder what Jacob was doing when they arrived. Did he help them so that he could chill in the foot?

Quoted from myself on previous page:

But who were the people? Were they just symbolic of early civilization? I think so. Better yet who killed them? Maybe their innate evil nature did it? Or Alison Janney got drunk on some wine and did it? But I think that they were symbolic of early civilization to prove a point to Jacob & MIB that they can be brutal. But after 6 years of Lost, who hasn't been brutal?

Those people were Jacob and MIB's true mother's people who were shipwrecked on the island. I don't they were symbolic of an early civilization since this was 23 AD, civilization was pretty well established. They were a group of people a kin to the Dharma Initiative. In fact they went to great lengths to to set up the fact that they were an early version of the DI (smart men doing experiments, etc.)

As for their destruction, I would guess the Mother (Alison Janney) is also the smoke monster (it is the only thing on island that could have caused that sort of destruction). She probably went in the light cave and become all smokey, too. Maybe MIB was only able to become smokey until after he killed whomever was smokey first. She knew going in the light cave was bad cause she new first hand.

Those people were Jacob and MIB's true mother's people who were shipwrecked on the island. I don't they were symbolic of an early civilization since this was 23 AD, civilization was pretty well established. They were a group of people a kin to the Dharma Initiative. In fact they went to great lengths to to set up the fact that they were an early version of the DI (smart men doing experiments, etc.)

As for their destruction, I would guess the Mother (Alison Janney) is also the smoke monster (it is the only thing on island that could have caused that sort of destruction). She probably went in the light cave and become all smokey, too. Maybe MIB was only able to become smokey until after he killed whomever was smokey first. She knew going in the light cave was bad cause she new first hand.

While I can agree with you on this I still think that we may both be right because I think what is important is how much Mother wants to keep Jacob/MIB in the dark. Pun intended. So in a sense to Jacob/MIB these are people to be viewed as nameless and not really sure what they're doing there in the beginning. Jacob/MIB do not know anything outside of the Island. They are taught that they are different and that these people are bad and then they all wind up dead and they sort of believe her. They are left to believe that they all killed each other in some sort of humanistic rage. It wouldn't cross their mind that Mother did this, since they never saw Mother kill their actual mother.

So I think the irony would be that if Jack & someone else became the new Jacob/MIB that they would know that there's an "across the sea" and that people can be good, evil & both.

Really?! That didn't seem to foreshadow a little scene that we saw in a certain Season 5 Season Finale final scene?

I think we need to focus more on the actions and motivations of the characters rather than the mysitcal "box".

What type of man kills a man who killed who his parents in cold blood? It helped solidify the Sawyer character and lent him some closure. I don't think he could play house with Juliet in Dharmaville if he wasn't given the chance of closing the book on killing this man. He had to get it out of his system. This was integral to the story of Sawyer.

What type of man lets one man kill someone who wronged both of them and watches it before his eyes? This helped foreshadow the single instance where MIB probably said "this is my man right here. this guy is perfect for my scheme." This helped say a lot about Locke. Did he let this happen because he was pissed about Cooper and not being with Helen?

I don’t think any of these examples really lend further depth and/or help explain the future motivations of either character – both of whom had already expressed a desire to kill Locke’s dad for reasons that didn’t really require further emphasis – especially by way of a magic box that could, if I recall correctly, grant any wish – only to then disappear without further exposition. I suppose the “box” could be a metaphor for the island itself, blah blah blah…but one of my criticisms of the show has always been the often convoluted lengths the writers often go to explain, or, perhaps more commonly, set up scenarios that ultimately don’t add up to all that much or just sort of fizzle out.

It's also interesting to note how Jacob was blindly following his Mother and was more of a man of faith.

MIB wanted to join the people and figure out the energy source using scientific means and was more of a man of science. (Edit: It could be said that by outside influence one gets a greater understanding of how the world works and different ideologies. MIB opens the door to this by leaving his Mother's influence.)

For the above reasons, I can see people being upset about this since it paints one in a very "sheep" light not questioning and very accepting of one's ideas taught to them and the other as the more seeking out knowledge and different ideas/perspectives.

Also, Mother didn't give Jacob a choice when she made him drink the wine. Could this be why he is so free will?

I don’t think any of these examples really lend further depth and/or help explain the future motivations of either character – both of whom had already expressed a desire to kill Locke’s dad for reasons that didn’t really require further emphasis – especially by way of a magic box that could, if I recall correctly, grant any wish – only to then disappear without further exposition. I suppose the “box” could be a metaphor for the island itself, blah blah blah…but one of my criticisms of the show has always been the often convoluted lengths the writers often go to explain, or, perhaps more commonly, set up scenarios that ultimately don’t add up to all that much or just sort of fizzle out.

I will agree with that. HOWEVER, I forgive them those slights because they have attempted, and largely succeeded, in creating a six year story arc that managed to GET ON TELEVISION IN THE US.

In an atmosphere that demands instant gratification and really stifles creativity and independence, they managed to create a story and tell it as they wanted to.

I will agree with that. HOWEVER, I forgive them those slights because they have attempted, and largely succeeded, in creating a six year story arc that managed to GET ON TELEVISION IN THE US.

In an atmosphere that demands instant gratification and really stifles creativity and independence, they managed to create a story and tell it as they wanted to.

Amen.jpg

:worship

So I had this thought. So Mother destroys the camp and buries the well which holds the frozen donkey wheel. The frozen donkey wheel is eventually set up (cause we see Ben and Locke both turn the wheel.) Who set it up? MIB? Jacob? If MIB set up why, was he not able to use it to leave the island ala Ben and Locke? Why is Jacob allowed to come and go as he pleased. Did he use the lighthouse? At what point did Jacob decide to leave the island to push our canidates to the destiny they are now.

There could be an entire season of island history with Jacob, MIB and these questions.

Guest Ordinary Beehive

There could be an entire season of island history with Jacob, MIB and these questions.

You're right, there could. But they should have dispersed that storyline throughout the entire series, rather than just in the last season. Had they done that, I would be loving this season.

Why is Jacob allowed to come and go as he pleased. Did he use the lighthouse?

Well, that one is easy. Jacob takes advantage of Jet Blue $10 promo flights.

108 on his wheel is actually the internet.

i've been watching this season. as with BSG, the show is not as involved or deep as we might want it to be. it's disappointng when writers depend on magic and supernatural (like BSG) to tie up loose ends. revealing the dharma initiative in the final season would have been a much more satisfying conclusion rather than showing who becomes the ordained keeper of the magic island. the characters are quite one dimensional. it seems like all they do is walk through the jungle or stand around in the jungle. anyway, the main point of the story as with most is that humans are idiots and capable of evil and good. the dividing line is a hazy. how about a show that doesn't 'assume' violence is inevitable. that might be interesting. :cheers

mother gives birth to Jacob then MIB.

Mother kills mother.

MIB kills Mother.

Jacob kills MIB.

"They come, they fight, they destroy and they corrupt. It always ends the same."

mother gives birth to Jacob then MIB.

Mother kills mother.

MIB kills Mother.

Jacob kills MIB.

"They come, they fight, they destroy and they corrupt. It always ends the same."

"It only ends once. Everything else is progress"

Current theory is that Mother was the protector of the island AND the smoke monster. Now with Jacob and MIB, the roles are split. It's another duality theme.

That's my last theory. I'm ready to stop speculating and just watch it unfold.

5.18.2010 9pm What They Died For

5.23.2010 7-9 pm The Final Journey and 9-11:30 The End

ABC invites new and avid “Lost” viewers to take a final glance at one of television’s most talked about and critically acclaimed shows. The “Lost” Series Finale Event begins with this two-hour special, which takes a retrospective look back over the past six seasons of this groundbreaking series. “Lost The Final Journey” airs SUNDAY, MAY 23 (7:00-9:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

On September 22, 2004, Oceanic Air flight 815 tore apart in mid-air and crashed on a Pacific island, leaving 48 passengers alive and stranded on a remote island in the South Pacific. The survivors include a diverse group of people from different walks of life -- a doctor, an escaped fugitive, a con man, an Iraqi interrogator, a married Korean couple and a man formerly confined to a wheelchair who is now inexplicably healed. As the castaways attempt to get home, flashbacks (and forwards) illuminate their troubled lives before and after the crash, as the island that they find themselves stranded on begins to slowly reveal its mysterious nature. With the detonation of the hydrogen bomb, flash-sideways show two timelines – one on the island, and the other depicting their lives as if the plane never crashed. Faith, reason, destiny and free will all clash as the island offers opportunities for both corruption and redemption... but as to its true purpose? That's the greatest mystery of all.

“Lost: The Final Journey” celebrates the show by taking a look back on how it all started in 2004, what it took to produce the seminal show in Hawaii, and how it became a phenomenon in the U.S. and around the world. Past and present cast members will share their experiences working on the show and their thoughts on its coming to an end. Also examined will be the dynamic characters, themes and innovative storytelling, plus an extensive look at what has transpired during the current season as a primer leading into the finale, which airs immediately after this special from 9:00-11:00 p.m., ET.

Guest Ordinary Beehive

Lost certainly has nowhere to go but up after last week's show. I'm looking forward to tonight's episode.

I can't believe it'll all be over in less than a week.

Good episode! Glad to see Zoe get her throat sliced. The way she just waltzed onto the Island like she owned the place... pointing guns at people and what not! :realmad

A little bit disappointed the ending wasn't something a little bigger, being the last time an episode of Lost will end with a follow up to come.

i had to look at the clock when the show ended, it felt very abrupt. pretty good episode, i'm looking forward to the concert. {SPOILERS!} i'm guessing Richard being "Lapidus'd" was a bluff, though that section of the episode seemed awkward enough to serve the purpose of killing off unneeded characters (is it just me or is the writing this season smugly self-referential? such as Locke calling Zoe pointless if she doesn't talk, thus taking her out of the show. [though really i'm puzzled why they introduced so many characters these last two seasons who amount to very little, i'm still upset that they created the mysterious Dogen-who-holds-some-secret only to kill him off, >]). anyway, this sunday has a lot riding on it to justify a lot of this season's shenanigans.