The latest Ryan Adams thread V2.0

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A couple weeks ago, I received an email from the Ryan Adams organization, promoting what appears to be Ryan covering Springsteen’s Nebraska, which I am very interested in hearing, and new tour dates,

Ryan Adams: Losering, a Story of Whiskeytown

(book)

Before he achieved his dream of being an internationally known rock personality, Ryan Adams had a band in Raleigh, North Carolina. Whiskeytown led the wave of insurgent-country bands that came of age with No Depression magazine in the mid-1990s, and for many people it defined the era. Adams was an irrepressible character, one of the signature personalities of his generation, and as a singer-songwriter he blew people away with a mature talent that belied his youth. David Menconi witnessed most of Whiskeytown’s rocket ride to fame as the music critic for the Raleigh News & Observer, and in Ryan Adams, he tells the inside story of the singer’s remarkable rise from hardscrabble origins to success with Whiskeytown, as well as Adams’s post-Whiskeytown self-reinvention as a solo act.

Menconi draws on early interviews with Adams, conversations with people close to him, and Adams’s extensive online postings to capture the creative ferment that produced some of Adams’s best music, including the albums Strangers Almanac and Heartbreaker. He reveals that, from the start, Ryan Adams had an absolutely determined sense of purpose and unshakable confidence in his own worth. At the same time, his inability to hold anything back, whether emotions or torrents of songs, often made Adams his own worst enemy, and Menconi recalls the excesses that almost, but never quite, derailed his career. Ryan Adams is a fascinating, multifaceted portrait of the artist as a young man, almost famous and still inventing himself, writing songs in a blaze of passion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Does anybody want to recommend me a couple of good Ryan Adams albums to grab with the iTunes gift cards I got for Christmas?

Back when Amazon f'd up and briefly priced the Live After Deaf MP3's at $7.99, I grabbed the set and totally fell in love with it.  Now, I'm looking to venture into the studio albums and am slightly intimidated and could use some recommendations.

Id say love is hell and cold roses

Cant go wrong with demolition

Actually every one! Im tired of people dismissing his solo career because of his antics or personality or that he didnt always play by the alt country rule book. Freakin neil young of my generation folks. I feel better now

It's interesting how people have different connections to his albums. I would go with Love Is Hell and 29. Although Faithless Street and Stranger's Almanac are still the best I think.

I read the book I posted about above recently. His early life sort of parallels Bob Dylan's early life in a way.

Thanks for the suggestions, I really appreciate all your input.

Browsing on iTunes reading reviews, and I'm surprised to find Heartbreaker isn't available on there.

I'll narrow down my search and make a few purchases tonight or tomorrow.  Definitely going to grab a Whiskeytown and a solo disc, just gotta narrow it down.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Ryan Adams Plays New Songs In London, Album Coming

Ryan Adams is back in the saddle and testing new material with a full band. And there’s an album on the way.

Sources tell Billboard.com that Adams has teamed-up once again with top producer Glyn Johns  (The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Clash), who worked on his most recent album, 2011’s “Ashes & Fire.” The new set is said to have "more orchestral flourishes" than the last one.

British audiences got first-listen to a brace of new songs. Adams performed the new tracks “Where I Meet You In My Mind” and “In The Shadows” on March 19, for the opening night of the Teenage Cancer Trust charity concerts at London’s Royal Albert Hall.

According to a review of the show published in British tabloid The Mirror, the first of those songs “wouldn't have been out of place” on “Ashes & Fire,” but “In The Shadows” was “very different, more uptempo and electric and with a horror movie storyline.”

For the first time since 2009, Adams took to the stage with a full backing band.  There’s talk that the five who joined him on stage -- Benmont Tench on keyboards, Don Was on bass, Cindy Cashdollar on steel guitar, Jeremy Stacey on drums and Glyn’s son Ethan Johns on guitar -- are the same musos who play on the upcoming album.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

He appears to be producing Jenny Lewis' next album, as they have posted a few photos online.

Also showing Benmont Tench, Tom Petty's keyboardist, there.

Seems like there should have been announcement about the new album mentioned a few posts back.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...