The latest Ryan Adams thread V2.0

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A couple weeks ago, I received an email from the Ryan Adams organization, promoting what appears to be Ryan covering Springsteen’s Nebraska, which I am very interested in hearing, and new tour dates,

Seriously, he was invited/hand picked by Neil & Janis and to do that to them is just plain wrong and disrespectful. He has to realize that his behavior will be talked about in the business. Not to mention to act that way with your peers. Who does he think he is? Who does he think will show up to work with him?

Well, that's pretty immature if all of this is some act to get people to compare him to Dylan with these incidents. So should I start doing coke and directing films to be compared to Scorese at his best period?

Never fails, you can't get very far talking about ryan adam's music w/o his behaviors popping up. I said I was homer for his music, but I'm not wanting to spend my days with the dude. (I lack that energy). If he burns his bridges that is on him, I'm not going to stop listening because he may be prone to immaturity. In my mind Tweedy (i'm a bigger wilco fan than ryan adams), campaigning for our president is far more off putting that a rock star temper tantrum. And I'm sure if any musician killed or raped or whatever somebody I'd probably stop and rethink this, but at this point, I'm just going to love his work. Oh, and "who does he think he is?" I think he should think he is this generations Neil Young. Ok, everyone laugh. I believe that. I think their careers (with ryan not being as popular one major exception) are very similar. I think ryan just put out his Comes A Time.

In my mind Tweedy (i'm a bigger wilco fan than ryan adams), campaigning for our president is far more off putting that a rock star temper tantrum.

I have to disagree here a whole lot. I guess I have to say that I wouldn't mind as much if a lot of the Ryan Adams stuff happened off stage, but that isn't the case. It shows a complete lack of respect for his craft a.k.a. his work to earn himself a living. To not perform with Janis & Neil conveys quite a few things to mind: he doesn't care for their music, he is so disinterested that he has to go on ebay to keep himself from being bored, he doesn't care what they will think of him even though he was hand picked over many other artists, he thinks his music is better, and most importantly he doesn't care about that innate quality of being a musician and when you find yourself on stage with anyone that can play...well then you join along because you love music. Oh, and I forgot about the audience...kind of like Ryan did (and has in the past).

Musicians (and any artist really) can get behind any entity and voice their opinion about it. They don't lose that right because they perform for a living.

"Musicians (and any artist really) can get behind any entity and voice their opinion about it. They don't lose that right because they perform for a living."

hey, I've been to some amazing ryan adams shows and I've been to a few miserable (he's drunk or high and babbling shows). Sure it is disrespectful and now I think twice when putting money down to see him. I never think twice (with exceptiion of ORION) when i put money down for his records. I guess it doesn't change what I hear on the record. I either love his music or I don't ( i generally do).

For me personally, I find hearing a musician predictably spout their opinion (usually speaking to the choir), predictable, pointless, self righteous and every bit as self involved as any disrespectful act we are accusing mr. adams of. that is just me. They shouldnt lose their right, I just wish it wasn't reinforced with applause and "yeah dude you are so smart" crap

anyway, we still aren't discussing the album. so it goes

Never fails, you can't get very far talking about ryan adam's music w/o his behaviors popping up. I said I was homer for his music, but I'm not wanting to spend my days with the dude. (I lack that energy). If he burns his bridges that is on him, I'm not going to stop listening because he may be prone to immaturity. In my mind Tweedy (i'm a bigger wilco fan than ryan adams), campaigning for our president is far more off putting that a rock star temper tantrum. And I'm sure if any musician killed or raped or whatever somebody I'd probably stop and rethink this, but at this point, I'm just going to love his work. Oh, and "who does he think he is?" I think he should think he is this generations Neil Young. Ok, everyone laugh. I believe that. I think their careers (with ryan not being as popular one major exception) are very similar. I think ryan just put out his Comes A Time.

what would be his tonight's the night?

Ryan Adams - a musical genius trapped inside the personality of a bitchy Valley Girl.

I will always love his music but I don't think he is a very nice person. This latest incident with Janis Ian and Neil Finn just reinforces that opinion.

As for 'Ashes and Fire' - I think it is a terrific return to form after the mediocre 'Cardinology'. My favourite is still 'Love is Hell' - but I'm putting 'Ashes and Fire' right up there with 'Cold Roses' and 'Heartbreaker'.

what would be his tonight's the night?

I would go with Jacksonville City Nights as Adam's Tonight's the Night. It's raged, loose, and the sound of a man on the edge. Musically it's very different, but I can't go with Love Is Hell because of how overproduced it sounds to me. With Tonight's the Night I feel like I'm in the room with Neil watching him fall apart in a lovely and honest state of mind, and I feel the same about Jacksonville City Nights. What would be Adam's Harvest? And yes, I'm comparing apples and oranges.....just curious.

i'm with Nodep5 and ShakespeareAlley on this one. yea, he's prone to immature hissy fits SOMETIMES... but he's mostly hilarious and odd (and he is actually very gracious and nice if you've ever met him) and all that said WHO CARES.

Ashes & Fire is great. loved it on first listen, but it's also a grower, so if you dont think it's all that, give it some more spins/time.

Benmont Tench kills the keyboards on this one....

too early to say for sure, but i'd put it up there with Heartbreaker, Cold Roses, JCN, and LiH, as his best albums.

i'm with Nodep5 and ShakespeareAlley on this one. yea, he's prone to immature hissy fits SOMETIMES... but he's mostly hilarious and odd (and he is actually very gracious and nice if you've ever met him) and all that said WHO CARES.

Ashes & Fire is great. loved it on first listen, but it's also a grower, so if you dont think it's all that, give it some more spins/time.

Benmont Tench kills the keyboards on this one....

too early to say for sure, but i'd put it up there with Heartbreaker, Cold Roses, JCN, and LiH, as his best albums.

i've tried several times to 'really get into' him. ashes and fire has done the trick. great intro album for uninitiated. it's def a folky cousin to love is hell.

29 is one of my favorite Ryan albums. I read a review of the new one somewhere that called it bland. I guess that is how I feel about it. I still don't think I will buy it. I didn't buy the last one either.

I think I am one of them nutty fans who will always appreciate what he puts out. With that being said, I seriously love everything he's released commercially except Orion. Just can't get into sci-fi metal. If he were to do something more Danzig-y, that would be alright.

That video made my night. The boy band pizza that breaks out in song is the funniest thing I've seen in a while!

Ryan was in top comedic and solo form last Friday. We were treated to about 2.5 hours, including a start of Oh My Sweet Carolina played remarkably quietly and beautifully in our symphony hall. A 7 song encore! He was suggesting he might be paying a fine for running over the curfew by 1/2 hour.

http://www.examiner.com/live-music-in-seattle/live-review-ryan-adams-flies-solo-at-benaroya-hall-seattle-review

Intimate London venue.

http://www.clashmusic.com/live-review/ryan-adams-live-at-union-chapel-london

Would have liked to be there but it sold out wat too fast. He was on a Songwriters Circle session the other night on BBC with Neil Finn and Janis Ian

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/crowded-stage-neil-finn-ryan-adams-in-foulmouthed-tv-bustup-20111027-1ml3j.html