3. Ghost

4. Wilco the Album

5. The Whole Love

6. Summerteeth

7. Being There

8a. AM

8b. Star Wars

10. SBS

I first saw them in 1999, so Summerteeth and Mermaid Avenue I were probably the first albums I heard. But quickly followed by MA II, BT, and AM - I delved in fully early on.

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok...have had SW for long enough where I feel I can make up some sort of "order", but personally I find picking one over the other, almost impossible.

Yankee, Ghost, Being There, Whole Love, Mermaid, Sky Blue, Star Wars, Summer, AM,..... Wilco (TA)

Summerteeth has really dropped down on my list, due to the fact that I think the songs have aged terribly on that record. It's filled with many incredible songs, but the majority of them sound so much better live, that the album feels obsolete, and almost unlistenable to me. AM has aged better in my opinion...

BT

MA

YHF

AGIB

AM

SW

SBS

ST (I know I'm in the minority on this one. I've just never liked the sound of this album. It's like a cake with too much gilded frosting.)

WTA

TWL

I started with AM. The summer of '95 was all about grilling, frisbee in the street, living like pigs with 5 other guys, and listening to A.M. non stop.

I agree. There’s an anxiousness and darkness in the lyrics and Tweedy’s voice. That, combined with the sonics and beautiful studio pop conjured up by…I assume in somewhat large part, Jay Bennett (the pinnacle being Pieholden Suite…so amazing!)…makes for really fascinating listening. For me, it's Wilco's masterpiece.

I agree

Being There

A.M. (I've been a fan since the first time I heard "Box Full of Letters" on MTV in '95, and I admit to a preference for their post-Uncle Tupelo "alt-country" sound)

Summerteeth

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

A Ghost Is Born

Star Wars

The Whole Love

Sky Blue Sky

Wilco The Album

• 1 year later...

A new Wilco album means bumping this thread. 

1) Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

2) A Ghost Is Born

3) Being There

4) Summerteeth
5) Schmilco

6) Star Wars

7) AM

8) Sky Blue Sky

9) The Whole Love

10) Wilco The Album

All these records would be pretty close together. It's pretty impressive, I can't think of too many bands that have released this many records without a bad album in their catalog. 

You ranked AM twice. We're getting to a large # of records with a huge range of possible rankings. I think it's expressed mathematically as 10! But I forgot how to solve for '!'.

Oops. The lower AM should have been WTA