Do You Consider Wilco A Jam Band?

I ask this because I have heard them played twice lately on the Jam On station on Sirius XM. I admit I do love to hear the intricate instrumentals they create, but a jam band? When I hear jam band, I think the likes of Grateful Dead, Widespread Panic, Phish, Dave Matthews Band, The Band, Allman Brothers. I hesitate to put Wilco in that same category.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like they're a little bit of a lot of styles-- Psych, experimental, folk, rock, indie, country, etc. and can be tangentially placed with a lot of other bands in a lot of genres and fit. But they've never fully been one thing or fit one description. So I can see how playing something from Being There or Kicking Television wouldn't be out of entirely out of place on a jamband station. But then there are albums they've done like Summerteeth that wouldn't fit that format at all. Electicism may be their greatest strength, this is a band that can play shows with Deerhoof one gig, Nick Lowe the next and Natalie Merchant after that.

I understand why they get played on Jam On ( a great station, by the way!) but I really don't consider them a jam band in any sense. I've never heard of them busting out with a 25 minute Impossible Germany or ending a set with rolling out an extended 15 minute midsection of ALTWYS.

They certainly seem to improvise in small bites here and there -especially Nels - but each song is pretty much the same length each night. Phish and Widespread Panic? They could play a whole second set consisting of 2 30-minute songs and fans would love it. As much as I love, love LOVE IATTBYH, I don't want it to eat up half a set.

I understand why they get played on Jam On ( a great station, by the way!) but I really don't consider them a jam band in any sense. I've never heard of them busting out with a 25 minute Impossible Germany.

Agreed. Impossible Germany has that great instrumental/jam section in it, but every single one is damn near exactly the same. That's not jamming in the typical sense, that's just rocking out!

I remember when I first got into Wilco, one of my first purchases was Kicking Television. At the time, I also read a lot of Pitchfork reviews, including their review for KT, which said:

"In its 10+ years of existence, Jeff Tweedy's post-Tupelo project has cycled through several lineups and styles: alt-country, Beach Boys-splashed Americana, Radioheaded abstraction. Then, after 2002 masterpiece Yankee Hotel Foxtrot came last year's confusingly lateral move to listener-unfriendly classic-rock, A Ghost Is Born; "I will turn on you," Tweedy sang in "I'm a Wheel". The tables turn again with Kicking Television, which casts its predecessor's songs in hotter light and serves as a coming-out party for Wilco's newest, six-member incarnation: a drinking man's avant-jam band."

I thought that was a weird description.

WIlco concerts don't have bass solos, so...NO.

True enough - but after seeing John tearing it up in Montreal, I kinda wish they did! He's the understated secret weapon of this new album, in my humble opinion. And he always, always, always seems to be having a ton of fun - be it during a joyous pop song like ITMWLY or the darkest parts of Via Chicago.

True enough - but after seeing John tearing it up in Montreal, I kinda wish they did! He's the understated secret weapon of this new album, in my humble opinion. And he always, always, always seems to be having a ton of fun - be it during a joyous pop song like ITMWLY or the darkest parts of Via Chicago.

Plus he can jump really high.

Count me as a no. I don't consider Wilco a jam band.

I always tell my friends "I really dislike Jam Bands. Wilco is just a band with good jams". I could see how if you went to a show and saw them do ALTWYS, Spiders, Ashes of American Flags, Impossible Germany, and Handshake Drugs, you could see Wilco as being some sort of Art-Rock Jam Band, but there really is an enormous difference between Wilco and the whole Jam Band genre.

I can certainly see how they would appeal to the "jam band people". But (and this is really just a re-stating of the above), with Wilco, the songs come first and the playing serves the songs. I don't listen to a lot of jam bands and never see them live but that doesn't stop me from generalizing about them - it seems to me that the jam comes first, or the song is a means to get to a jam.

I don't listen to a lot of jam bands and never see them live but that doesn't stop me from generalizing about them - it seems to me that the jam comes first, or the song is a means to get to a jam.

I used to go see "jam bands" in the early '90s (Phish, Widespread Panic, Col. Hampton, etc.), and I'd agree with the bold portion. I remember when Phish put out Hoist, and it was just a bunch of normal length songs with normal length guitar solos. A lot of their fans started getting nervous.

I used to go see "jam bands" in the early '90s (Phish, Widespread Panic, Col. Hampton, etc.), and I'd agree with the bold portion. I remember when Phish put out Hoist, and it was just a bunch of normal length songs with normal length guitar solos. A lot of their fans started getting nervous.

It's funny -- the Phish that I enjoy the most fits that description. I used to enjoy the 20+ minute versions of songs and became very burnt out. Farmhouse might be my favorite record of theirs, which to many hardcore fans, I believe, is unthinkable.