That Wildflowers deluxe edition is not a reissue of the original Wildflowers album nor a box set.  Its gonna be a second CD of outtakes, no duplicates from the original album.

I agree that it has really held up and is still one of the best albums he's done.  Inspired and brilliantly executed.

"

Tom Petty's forthcoming album Wildflowers - All The Rest, which is composed of tracks written and recorded by Petty between 1992 and 1994, will complete the original Wildflowers album, which was initially intended by Petty and producer Rick Rubin to be a double CD. "

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looking forward to the bio written by Del Fuegos' Zanes. (Remember the Rock 'n' Roll Caravan tour in 1987 right after Petty's house was burned by arson?  Heartbreakers, Del Fuegos, and the Georgia fuckin' Satellites!  Man that was a great show!).  I think Lammycat mentioned a few years ago the really fantastic Peter Bogdanovich doc Runnin' Down a Dream, which is indeed excellent, particularly the 4 hour director's cut.  Also very very good is the Paul Zollo book Conversations With Tom Petty.

Yeah, its crazy Zanes got Stan to talk.  When I see in the Bogdanvich film how Stan was the positive cheerleader for the band in the struggling early years, the one who kept people motivated when they got discouraged, I see what he brought to the band and appreciate him much more for that.  I always loved his drumming, he swung more to my ears.  He and Benmont were the ones who wanted Let Me Up to be a raw rock record, just the live basic tracks, but Tom and Mike got their way and put all the lame synth overdubs on it.  If you reconstruct what could have been using the outtakes from the Playback box set, Let Me Up could've been a great album.

Stan deserves a lot of credit, I think.  I hated to hear how he and Tom's relationship fractured and how pissed off Stan was at the end.  I am looking forward to hearing his side of the story in detail, I hope that is what will be in the new book.  Tom has been vague and understated in his interviews about what happened with Stan and he's also given Stan a lot of credit, but I am sure there is a lot more to the story that what Tom has said.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to check out the Runnin' Down a Dream dvd over the last couple of nights - definitely a great doc. The author of the new bio was on with Mojo Nixon's radio show last week - caught some of it - and that sounds like it should be a great book.

Anybody know the period when Petty was hooked on heroin -- from watching the Runnin doc - I'm guessing during the Echo record and divorce. Could be way off, though.

Watching the footage of Howie Epstein was brutal. Must admit,  I have more respect for Stan Lynch prior to watching the doc -- of course I never much thought of him prior to watching. 

Running through his records, via Spotify, today.

Petty being on heroin is a big revelation, I don't think many fans knew about that until the press for Zane's book started up a few weeks ago.  I'm pretty sure it must've been in 1996 right after the Wildflowers tour ended, and he started the divorce proceedings, took a year off from music work with no set schedule and moved into that shack in Pacific Palisades and got really socially isolated and depressed. That's apparently when he was writing the songs that ended up on Echo. Many of the songs on Echo certainly seem like they were inspired by Petty's divorce and I've always thought of it that way, but Petty has said that Wildflowers was his divorce record.  I think its a case of his marriage breaking up happened around the time they were making and/or releasing Wildflowers, but the songs he wrote about the breakup didn't come out to the public until they ended up on Echo a year or two later.  So the heroin period might have been during Wildflowers or just after.  In 1999 when they did their second residency at the Fillmore in San Francisco, Echo had just come out.  They really didn't do a lot of songs from it and none of those songs stuck around in the setlist rotation for very long.  I do really like a lot of song on that record, but it can be a bit difficult to hear that kind of pain.  Seems like Petty is not eager to revisit those songs either.  That was also the time that Howie was getting really bad on heroin, too.  His face looks disfigured and its shocking to see photos of him from 1999 and to compare them to those from just 5 or 10 years earlier.  Its almost hard to imagine they are the same person.  I remember clearly at one of those shows in 1999 Tom introduced Howie by saying he was "fresh out of bed and sharp as a tack".  It was a joke but I didn't realize until after Howie died what it really meant.  That is a sad story, for sure.

Mojo Nixon - there's a name you don't hear everyday 

I read that Tom is going to have his own channel on one of those satellite radio channels now - instead of just a show. 

Nixon broadcasts on XM's Outlaw Country --- enjoy his show - but his levels on his microphone are way to loud --- every time he comes out of a song - I have to reach for the volume. He did a great job in the interview with Zanes, from what  bits I heard.

Petty's show is great, too -- he plays a lot great tunes and obviously  he has great stories.

Some can argue Springsteen...but I like the most recent Petty albums more

It'd be tough to convince me. Petty has had a few missteps production wise, but the songwriting has remained strong. I guess the Sam could be said of Bruce. Neil Young's output over the last decade has been awful, with few bright spots. Dylan, of course has Ben killing it since Out Of Time.

"Pack Up the Plantation" is a great live album. Probably my favorite TP product.

I listened to Mojo Nixon and his Outlaw Country show non stop for 8 hours driving back from the Smokey Mountains one time. That experience ALMOST convinced me to get satellite radio.

TP has referred to Echo as his divorce record, and one made during the darkest period of his life, many times.

As for '70s songwriters maintaining quality, nobody can touch Tom Waits.  Zero bad albums.

I was up to "Pack Up the Plantation" when my wife booted me off her Spotify account so she can listen to something else while at her office - the nerve...anyway I was enjoying the horns on it.

That 4 cd Live set is a great one - plus it's cheap, I think I picked up a used set for $10 or so.

TP has referred to Echo as his divorce record, and one made during the darkest period of his life, many times.

As for '70s songwriters maintaining quality, nobody can touch Tom Waits.  Zero bad albums.

No argument there.  Great post.  Waits has known when he's got something good to put out.  

Oh yeah, the horns are all over and sounding great on PUTP. Good ol' TP tunes, bunch of covers, Stevie Nicks duets, its got it all.

• 4 months later...

The new Mudcrutch album is coming out May 2nd:

Tom Petty’s Mudcrutch will release their second album 2 on May 20 via Reprise Records. The follow up to their 2008 self-titled debut was produced by band members Tom Petty, Mike Campbell and Ryan Ulyate and will be supported by a tour that kicks off May 26 in Denver, CO.

Tickets for the newly announced tour will go on sale April 1 at 10 AM local time. Every online ticket purchased for the headline tour includes a CD copy of the new album as well. Los Angeles rockers The Shelters will join the bill as well on every non-festival date. Consult the full schedule below.

Mudcrutch Tour Dates:

May 26 Denver, CO—Ogden Theatre
May 29 Chillicothe, IL—Summer Camp Music Festival
May 31 Nashville, TN—Ryman Auditorium
June 2 Atlanta, GA—The Tabernacle
June 3 Cincinnati, OH—Bunbury Music Festival
June 6 Washington, DC—9:30 Club
June 7 Philadelphia, PA—The Fillmore
June 10 New York, NY—Webster Hall
June 11 New York, NY—Webster Hall
June 14 Port Chester, NY—Capitol Theatre
June 15 Boston, MA—House of Blues
June 19 San Francisco, CA—The Fillmore
June 20 San Francisco, CA—The Fillmore
June 25 Los Angeles, CA—The Fonda Theatre
June 26 Los Angeles, CA—The Fonda Theatre
June 28 Santa Ana, CA—The Observatory

Whoah, The Ogden is smal! Saw Furthur there a couple years ago (I forget why they were playing there) before they did a 3-night run up the road in a "normal"-sized place. 

Don't know much about Petty's Mudcrutch but dig Petty, so....

• 2 months later...

I saw this blurb on my Facebook page today:

Tom Petty: Musician Says He Is Considering 2017 'Wildflowers' Tour
Petty told Rolling Stone he plans to release an expanded, deluxe edition of his 1995 album "Wildflowers" and then go on tour. It was envisioned as a double album but was cut to 15 songs on one CD.