Rumors about spring/summer shows?

i actually tuned into XRT this AM to try and hear Jeff but he must have made the announcement later. I guess this means they won't be playing Lolla. Actually this is a great idea.

LouieB

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know why Wilco (or any other band) likes playing those minor league ballparks so much. From the audience side, I don't like them, at least the way I've seen it in Lowell. They gate off a small area in front of the stage to the soundboard, and either you're standing in there (usually packed to the gills), or you're sitting all the way back in the stands, which feels like being on the outside looking in. Not my favorite venues.

I thought it was kinda of relaxing at the South Bend ballpark show - a completely different vibe than a theater/club show.

Saw Dylan/Mellencamp/Nelson at a ballpark down near St. Louis - thought that was fun, too.

I don't know why Wilco (or any other band) likes playing those minor league ballparks so much. From the audience side, I don't like them, at least the way I've seen it in Lowell. They gate off a small area in front of the stage to the soundboard, and either you're standing in there (usually packed to the gills), or you're sitting all the way back in the stands, which feels like being on the outside looking in. Not my favorite venues.

My second ever Wilco show was at Dutchess stadium in Wappingers falls, NY the summer of 2009. It was a perfect night and in many ways a perfect show, i'd much rather see Wilco in that setting than in an Arena or some outdoor amphitheater like Camden (Red Rocks is an exception, that must be a beautiful place to see a show). I'm really hoping that for a NYC area show wilco chooses some outdoor venue that isn't Jones Beach/PNC bank arts center, those amphitheaters just aren't great places to see shows.

Every minor leagues' show i've seen has been spectacular, the duchess show bein the topper....i have a great shot of that show from a photog friend who was shooting the show that i blew up into a poster if you're interested

If they are doing a minor league ballpark tour I will throw in the brick in OKC for a show. It is right downtown and would be a great venue for them. Dylan played there a few years back and it was a great show, even though he only said about six words during his performance. Come on boys bring the show to OKC.

My second ever Wilco show was at Dutchess stadium in Wappingers falls, NY the summer of 2009. It was a perfect night and in many ways a perfect show, i'd much rather see Wilco in that setting than in an Arena or some outdoor amphitheater like Camden (Red Rocks is an exception, that must be a beautiful place to see a show). I'm really hoping that for a NYC area show wilco chooses some outdoor venue that isn't Jones Beach/PNC bank arts center, those amphitheaters just aren't great places to see shows.

Maybe it's just the way they set it up in Lowell. The stage is set at the center field wall, and the soundboard is behind a barrier on the edge of the outfield/infield. So they have the area in between the stage and soundboard gated off for people to cram in, but then they don't allow anyone on the infield or any other part of the field, so everyone else is sitting back in the stands. It felt very disconnected from the show to be in the stands, like you were outside looking in. I don't know how they do it at other ballparks. If they are to do a summer show here in Boston, I sure hope they come back to Harborlights rather than back to Lowell.

since this show starts at 5:30, has fireworks afterwards and is on a sunday night, will it end earlier than a normal show? debating driving out from the city for it, but I don't want to be getting home at midnight on a work night.

Maybe it's just the way they set it up in Lowell. The stage is set at the center field wall, and the soundboard is behind a barrier on the edge of the outfield/infield. So they have the area in between the stage and soundboard gated off for people to cram in, but then they don't allow anyone on the infield or any other part of the field, so everyone else is sitting back in the stands. It felt very disconnected from the show to be in the stands, like you were outside looking in. I don't know how they do it at other ballparks. If they are to do a summer show here in Boston, I sure hope they come back to Harborlights rather than back to Lowell.

It was actually set up in a very similar manner at Dutchess stadium, but i was able to show up halfway through Conor Obersts opening set and get a really good spot a 8-10 yards ahead of the soundboard, it was never really that crammed at this show, but maybe it didn't sell out? (there was a bigger show in Brooklyn just a few nights earlier that was probably the more popular option). I think it was nice that if people wanted to sit, they could be in the bleachers in the back, but there was nothing particularly stopping them from coming forward and standing.

since this show starts at 5:30, has fireworks afterwards and is on a sunday night, will it end earlier than a normal show? debating driving out from the city for it, but I don't want to be getting home at midnight on a work night.

Getting back from a Wilco show at midnight on a work night this July is a problem I would like to have.

A wise man once told me, "It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission."

That's always been my philosophy. I generally wait for the right time to mention I'm going to another show. The good thing is she will be out of town pre-sale day so can't really ask, right? She was going to let me go 3 years ago, I always consider approval for a show good indefinitely. Come to think of it, I don't think I've asked for years... honey, just saw they were going on sale that day. She knows I'm full of shit.

The good thing, her brother lives in Denver so I could stay there and visit but I guess we'll be doing that 3 weeks later anyway. A lot to think about. Damn, I was just saying a few months ago how I regretted missing the last show. Hmmm, I'm sure some encouragement from you nice folks might help.

Oh yeah, I just checked the calendar and her 25 year class reunion is that weekend, that might not go over too good, she may want me to go. I've never been to any of mine, but I didn't really like most of my class mates. If I did, I still keep in contact. I guess if she really hates me for it, I'll put on a long face and say "that's fine, I'll just sell them".

I wanted a new $22k John Deere sub-compact tractor for some landscaping projects and such. 0% financing was due to end in a day or two then I sprung it on her. She said 'absolutely not' and I said 'that's fine'. The next day she asked if we should go take a look, although not happy. I have a nice shinny new tractor in the garage now! If I can do that, should be able to go to the shows right? :D

The good thing, her brother lives in Denver so I could stay there and visit but I guess we'll be doing that 3 weeks later anyway. A lot to think about. Damn, I was just saying a few months ago how I regretted missing the last show. Hmmm, I'm sure some encouragement from you nice folks might help.

You should go to Red Rocks, don't miss it again. You already sacrificed it last time, going this year should be your reward :D

Can anyone shed light on the unusual front and back GA sections with the reserved section in between at Red Rocks? Do they do this every show? Do you have to wait in line all day to get in the front GA? Is it packed in like sardines in the front GA or could you find a bit of space if you aren't all the way up front?

Red

Can anyone shed light on the unusual front and back GA sections with the reserved section in between at Red Rocks? Do they do this every show? Do you have to wait in line all day to get in the front GA? Is it packed in like sardines in the front GA or could you find a bit of space if you aren't all the way up front?

You do have to wait in line, but everything is seated up front, and the lucky occupants who stake out places in the first two or three rows get hand stamps from security early on. Anyone who tries to move into those rows gets tossed quickly (and politely) by security if they don't have a stamp. The system works very well.

There's a poser's pit of sorts in a very big gap between the seating area and the stage, set off by a barrier, where people with backstage passes can hang out. Because of the way the seats are tiered, this group doesn't block sight lines at all.

There's a poser's pit of sorts in a very big gap between the seating area and the stage, set off by a barrier, where people with backstage passes can hang out. Because of the way the seats are tiered, this group doesn't block sight lines at all.

Are these the weekend package deal seats? I'm curious about the "VERY special happy hour" - I wonder what this all about?

From the Official Wilco Facebook page today...

"Many more gig announcements coming over the next few weeks. So keep an eye out."

Nothing new...but at least their done & cooked & ready to serve...looking forward to more east coast dates & a MassMoCA announcement soon!!

I'm really interested in the Colorado shows but wish I knew more about seating at Red Rocks. Since I'd be coming from Virginia and would need a place to stay anyway, the weekend package looks like a pretty good deal--except I don't know about this:

Two (2) GA tickets to both nights of Wilco

Does anyone have any guess whether the tickets that Front Gate is selling might be any different/better than what's included in the package? From what I can figure out on the Red Rocks website, GA just means the whole section--like, you'd need to line up to ensure getting in the first few rows. And the person I spoke with at Red Rocks said there's no pit, but she didn't sound very sure of that. Anyone know anything specific? I'm just about ready to dive in and do it tomorrow morning, but I hate to buy in to the package only to find out later that I could have gotten better seats by buying single tickets.

Would appreciate any guidance!

Does anyone have any guess whether the tickets that Front Gate is selling might be any different/better than what's included in the package? From what I can figure out on the Red Rocks website, GA just means the whole section--like, you'd need to line up to ensure getting in the first few rows. And the person I spoke with at Red Rocks said there's no pit, but she didn't sound very sure of that. Anyone know anything specific? I'm just about ready to dive in and do it tomorrow morning, but I hate to buy in to the package only to find out later that I could have gotten better seats by buying single tickets.

I'm pretty sure the package seats are that chunk right in the middle in front of the soundboard. Someone said earlier that the very front is actually seated so there are rewards to parking yourself in line early. Also, the package doesn't go on sale until Friday. I'm undecided. My worry is that the people who would throw down that much money for a concert package (the hotel goes for $295-$400+ a night) won't appreciate my dancing and singing. And there is no way in hell I'd spend that much money to see my favorite band in my dream venue and not dance and sing along like a maniac!

I want to be with a bunch of like-minded Wilco freaks! :rock

The package is not a bad deal if you figure $100 or so for tickets to the two shows, poster and t-shirt maybe $75, shuttle service to and from the venue so no need for a car rental, and lodging for 2 nights at, granted, a way fancier than necessary hotel. But still, for just a little over $500 per person all in, that seems like a pretty decent price.

Ten extra dollars per ticket for the July 8th show? Is that just a presale thing or what?

Edit-

Does anyone know if the convenience charge will apply if I purchase the tickets tomorrow morning through wilcoworld? Thanks

I heard a great one, from a friend who has friends who are supposedly friends of the promoter who sealed the deal...and I did meet those folks that she heard it from that night & they are huge Wilco fans.

I may post more on here soon, but I don't know how quiet, or not, this is supposed to be, so I need to check on that first...but...

From what I understand the next announcement for tour dates will happen this Tuesday & will make folks in Western & Central New York State VERY happy! I'm thrilled & will now be going to one show very nearby, one fairly close & the one in Camden/Philly.