Wilco (The Forgotten Album)

Someone should just violate Godwin's Law and get this over with.

Aw hell, I'll do it myself. You know who else liked Wilco (The Album)? Hitler. (If you don't get that reference, follow the link in the previous paragraph.)

There. That (and the Davenport setlist, which includes One Wing and Country Disappeared and officially snaps the W(TA) shutout at seven shows) officially ends this thread.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like they just got tired of playing "Bull Black Nova" and "One Wing" all the time, and dropped them for a few shows. And those are really the only two W(TA) songs that have remained in the set consistently. But I'm sure "Wilco (the Song)" and "You Never Know" will get rotated back in eventually.

Part of the problem is that the better songs from that album like "Solitaire" and "Deeper Down" are quiet songs that don't come off particularly well live. Great to see "Country Disappeared" make an appearance last night; I like that one.

Sounds like they just got tired of playing "Bull Black Nova" and "One Wing" all the time, and dropped them for a few shows. And those are really the only two W(TA) songs that have remained in the set consistently. But I'm sure "Wilco (the Song)" and "You Never Know" will get rotated back in eventually.

Part of the problem is that the better songs from that album like "Solitaire" and "Deeper Down" are quiet songs that don't come off particularly well live. Great to see "Country Disappeared" make an appearance last night; I like that one.

Both "I'll Fight" and (ahem) "Sonny Feeling" have been played regularly as well. To the best of my knowledge, "Solitaire" has never been played by Wilco in public.

"Wilco (The Song)" was on the setlist in St. Augustine but was cut after a power outage and onrushing curfew.

Both "I'll Fight" and (ahem) "Sonny Feeling" have been played regularly as well. To the best of my knowledge, "Solitaire" has never been played by Wilco in public.

"Wilco (The Song)" was on the setlist in St. Augustine but was cut after a power outage and onrushing curfew.

"Sonny Feeling" got some play in '09 when they were touring the album, but they haven't played it in a couple of years, have they? I guess you'd be the one to ask! ;)

One Wing, My Country Disappeared, and maybe one other in Davenport tonight.

Well I'm glad that mystery is solved!! Onto to lots of shows filled with lots of "Wilco (The Album)"!!!

There isn't a definitive list of setlists on this site, but there's lots of them & they offer Rock Geek ready statistical berakdowns (hey helped me make great CD's of the songs most likely to be heard at this year's shows for a few friends & it's interesting to Rock Geeks like myself)...

http://www.setlist.fm/setlists/wilco-23d6982b.html

click on "more Wilco statistics" for the breakdowns, from various perspectives...

They first started playing songs in off it in 2008 (69 shows listed):

One Wing (5)

Sonny Feeling (3)

I'll Fight (1)

Country Disappeared (1)

In 2009 (72 shows listed):

Bull Black Nova (62)

One Wing (55)

Wilco (The Song) (53)

You Never Know (38)

Sonny Feeling (33)

Deeper Down (28)

I'll Fight (21)

Country Disappeared (7)

You and I (3)

Everlasting Everything (1)

In 2010 (66 shows listed):

Bull Black Nova (65)

One Wing (64)

You Never Know (55)

Wilco (The Song) (48)

Deeper Down (34)

I'll Fight (33)

Sonny Feeling (22)

You and I (10)

Country Disappeared (8)

Everlasting Everything (2)

2011 (55 shows listed):

One Wing (37)

Bull Black Nova (37)

I'll Fight (15)

Country Disappeared (3)

You Never Know (3)

You and I (2)

Wilco (The Song) (2)

2012 (47 shows listed- so far):

One Wing (18)

Bull Black Nova (15)

You and I (4)

Wilco (The Song) (3)

I'll Fight (3)

Country Disappeared (3)

You Never Know (1)

After a run like YHF & AGIB (IMO both are/will be timeless masterpieces), it was gonna be tough to triplicate....

Someone said it well, there are some wonderfully crafted tunes that just don't translate to the mostly high-energy shows that have been the norm for the last few years....& for me the live experience trumps everything else

After a run like YHF & AGIB (IMO both are/will be timeless masterpieces), it was gonna be tough to triplicate....

Someone said it well, there are some wonderfully crafted tunes that just don't translate to the mostly high-energy shows that have been the norm for the last few years....& for me the live experience trumps everything else

Cool. I go away for a few days and our favorite whipping boy returns.

I love SBS, but I agree that the first half of (TA) trumps the second half of SBS. First few songs of SBS -- in my Oh So Humble Opinion -- is one of the strongest streaks in their entire catalogue. Second half...probably their absolute weakest. I think they're mostly pleasant enough songs, but just not very strong. By this band's standards.

Three years later, I'm still stumped by why (TA) just didn't do it for me, and so many other Wilco fans. I don't dislike any of the songs individually. They've each got some cool musical business going on in them that I can respect, and enjoy. But the album as a whole...I don't know...I never have any desire to put it on.

The Whole Love, OTOH...it's been in one of the slots in my car's stereo since it was released, and I can enjoy it every time it pops up. If anything, with repetition it is only seeming stronger. I would never say now what I thought last September -- that it is two great songs wrapped around a bunch of very good pop songs. Rising Red Lung, Black Moon, Sunloathe -- they can't be dismissed that easily. And the others are, at worst, GREAT pop songs. I think YHF and AGIB are stronger over all...but TWL can stand with anything else the band has released.

Count me as valuing the IMHO's. If you're on a web site that is so inbred it is like hanging out with your pals in the bar then, by all means, hurl abuse on your neighbors, and dispense with the polite qualifiers. People do cite facts on a forum like this (Cars Can't Escape didn't make the final cut on YHF) along with opinions (CCE didn't make the cut on YHF because it sucks ass). It's polite to distinguish between the two types of things.

Sooo Solitaire and Sunloathe haven't been played live yet? Are these the only two songs from an album that haven't been played live?

And I've got to say that I absolutely LOVE both of those songs...and I did find that there is a Jeff Tweedy solo version of "Solitaire" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=astXeia7VMk

Sounds Nick Drake worthy to these ears...

Tweedy also played a solo version of Sunloathe this year at the Vic. But I'm not sure if that really counts... I mean if I had been there it would count but I wasn't... So it doesn't. Either way I'm stumped by why they didn't play and songs from W(TA) for seven shows. There must be a reason. One of the great mysteries of life I guess...

Either way I'm stumped by why they didn't play and songs from W(TA) for seven shows. There must be a reason. One of the great mysteries of life I guess...

Perhaps, but quite a way down the list, somewhere after why do men have nipples I think.

Tweedy also played a solo version of Sunloathe this year at the Vic. But I'm not sure if that really counts... I mean if I had been there it would count but I wasn't... So it doesn't. Either way I'm stumped by why they didn't play and songs from W(TA) for seven shows. There must be a reason. One of the great mysteries of life I guess...

Why do people keep asking why the band hasn't played as many songs from one of its worst albums? Shouldn't we just be happy about it and move on?

(CCE didn't make the cut on YHF because it sucks ass)

Maybe not "sucks ass," but it is clearly an inferior song.

Cars Can't Escape is one of my favorite tunes. I would like a definition of inferior.....I'll take the YHF outtakes over WTA as a hole. Pun intended...... One Wing is a good tune though. That is about all I go back to from that album these days. Sorry....just my opinion.

Why do people keep asking why the band hasn't played as many songs from one of its worst albums? Shouldn't we just be happy about it and move on?

Wilco's fandom is a bit like Springsteen's and Dylan's in the worship of unreleased material. The officially unreleased material takes on a mythic quality that is not based on any merits of the music itself, and become a touchstone for concert experiences and becomes the measure of being a 'true fan'.

How many times does a Wilco fan (either here or in the real world) cite some obscure, trifiling that's one distinct feature is that it is not an officially released song?

Wilco's fandom is a bit like Springsteen's and Dylan's in the worship of unreleased material. The officially unreleased material takes on a mythic quality that is not based on any merits of the music itself, and become a touchstone for concert experiences and becomes the measure of being a 'true fan'.

How many times does a Wilco fan (either here or in the real world) cite some obscure, trifiling that's one distinct feature is that it is not an officially released song?

I think this is true of most sets of fans, as far as the out-of-whack love of obscure, unreleased material. I remember when I was on a huge Radiohead kick and I had to have every B-side, every unreleased song, every rare live song or cover, etc. I was convinced that they were all excellent. Listening to them later, there may have only been a couple that were truly worth it.

in·fe·ri·or

adj \in-ˈfir-ē-ər\

1 : situated lower down : lower

2 a : of low or lower degree or rank

b : of poor quality : mediocre

3 : of little or less importance, value, or merit

You doing Dick Ctionary's bit now?