Wilco (The Forgotten Album)

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everlasting Everything is my least favorite Wilco song...ever.

Bob

Yeah, it's not very good but What Light takes the cake as worst Wilco song ever. But then again, he's requesting that one and open mind (worst song of the new album) as well. This guy has to be the worst requester ever. :stunned

I guess they don't play a lot of songs from this album cause it was just not that good and while Tweedy is never going to admit this himself the lukewarm audience response basically forces them to play limit the number of W(TA) songs on the setlist.. Then again, I've seen them play Bull Black Nova, One Wing and You & I spread over 2 shows this tour.

I've tried hard to like What Light because I think it's a song where Jeff was trying to summarize a lot of his feelings about art, but the song is just too literal for me. I can't say I hate it--like all of his songs, there are some good sentiments--but this one just doesn't do it for me. And I don't see much that's very catchy in the melody either.

Am I alone in preferring new Wilco to old Wilco? It seems like most of the time I read this board alot of people are judging the newer material on how good it is compared to the older stuff. The only gripe I have about WTA is that it broke the pattern of every album being better than the last. Call me crazy, I know you will...Thats just my opinion though. SBS a AGIB are two of my favorite albums ever, from any band, hands down. The evolution of Wilco's music fascinates me. It seems like Jeff was reaching for something every album he put and he got closer and closer and it culminated in AGIB, then after that he had reached that sound and had his new band all together and decided to strip everything down to basics, maybe because of his confidence in this new group he had who knows. But the result was amazing SBS is beautifully done I love the songs (okay, leave me like you found me, meh) but other than that I think they are all great songs, and I loveeee the production.

The tracks on Wilco the Album just don't blend together the way they have on the previous albums theres a certain emotion going on all throughout YHF, AGIB, SBS that are all unique in their own way. WTA is more like Wilco (The Random Collection of Songs) I don't hate on it though, I like all of the songs except the last one, which is not an unpopular opinion I see. But what is probably unpopular is my strong belief in AGIB and SBS being their best work. Is there anyone out there who can back me on that?

I've tried hard to like What Light because I think it's a song where Jeff was trying to summarize a lot of his feelings about art, but the song is just too literal for me. I can't say I hate it--like all of his songs, there are some good sentiments--but this one just doesn't do it for me. And I don't see much that's very catchy in the melody either.

My impression is that the arty, obtuse, stream of consciousness, disonant sort of Wilco song is many fans' favorite and some of them don't want to hear any straightforward songs like What Light or Open Mind at all. I like that arty style too, but I also really love a straight forward sincere lyric coupled with a simple yet effective and pretty melody, which is how What Light sounds like to me. I get what you mean, Wilco Me, well said, but What Light sounds to me like Tweedy's version of a simple folk song and I think its great. I love it that Tweedy is adept at a writing (and Wilco is adept at playing) in a bunch of different styles. It makes a cool contrast to my ear to hear a noisy freakout and then right after hear something melodic and pretty.

Am I alone in preferring new Wilco to old Wilco?

But what is probably unpopular is my strong belief in AGIB and SBS being their best work. Is there anyone out there who can back me on that?

To answer your first question, there are a couple of regulars on this board whose faves are SBS and WTA (linclink, that's you, right?) Lots (dare I say the majority) of folks on here, though, seem to prefer old/middle Wilco to new, with some exceptions for TWL.

Second question, you'll find lots of people backing you on AGIB being the best work. I'm definitely one of them. (For me, the first half of SBS is gorgeous, but the second half disappoints.) But that's the beauty of Wilco's contribution to rock and roll. A span of fifteen or so years and eight studio albums, and there's something amazing for everyone.

At the Tempe show last year, a radio station was tallying "What's Your Favorite Wilco Album?" on a dry erase board in the theater lobby. YHF was the big winner, followed closely by SBS. I was surprised. (Ghost Is Born and AM were losing when I checked.) Not exactly scientific, but still interesting. I think a lot of people got on board the Wilco Express with SBS -- but more casual fans, perhaps, not the kind of die-hards that populate a message board.

To answer your first question, there are a couple of regulars on this board whose faves are SBS and WTA (linclink, that's you, right?) Lots (dare I say the majority) of folks on here, though, seem to prefer old/middle Wilco to new, with some exceptions for TWL.

Second question, you'll find lots of people backing you on AGIB being the best work. I'm definitely one of them. (For me, the first half of SBS is gorgeous, but the second half disappoints.) But that's the beauty of Wilco's contribution to rock and roll. A span of fifteen or so years and eight studio albums, and there's something amazing for everyone.

Close...technically my fave would probably be "The Whole Love", but "Wilco (The Album)" is most likely my second fave, & I've said, more than a few times here, "Sky Blue Sky" would take the bronze...clearly I have a penchant for the recent Wilco works...but...and this is HUGE...honestly it's splitting hairs for me...like, as I've also said many times before here...trying to choose a favorite album for The Beatles starting with "Rubber Soul"...I might say that I'd take "Being There" by a little over "A.M." (with the "Mermaid Avenue" sessions albums sitting around the "Being There"/"A.M." levels for me), ...and then any of the mid-period trio, "Summerteeth", "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" & "A Ghost Is Born" just slightly over "Being There", but even these choices could change in a minute, and I have no problem saying that that mid-period trio (& maybe even "Being There" at times) is every bit as great, & every bit as loved by me, as the late period trio I often tout here. I guess I champion this recent era because I think it's, at least, every bit as great as anything they've ever done.

I just don't get the notion, shared & espoused by plenty here, that from "Being There" through maybe "A Ghost Is Born" is Wilco's peak, & that there was some kind of drop off in quality after that. It just boggles my mind, what can I say...but you know I've met Beatles freaks who heavily favor certain era & albums & really feel that the others aren't up to that standard. While I can say I prefer the albums from "Rubber Soul" onwards, I can also say the earlier work is brilliant. There aren't many bands with such impeccable records of consistent excellence...Wilco is a rare bird ineed...

My fave post on stuff like this was from "porkdog324" from 8/28/11, page 4, post #66 in the "Rank The Studio Albums" thread...this was before "The Whole Love", but just add that into the mix & you get the idea...

"Okay here are my new rankings... They are all number one for a lot of different reasons..

1. Summerteeth

1. Sky Blue Sky

1. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

1. A Ghost Is Born

1. Wilco (The Album)

1 Being There

1. A.M. "

My other favorite clever post in the same Spirit, would be from "lamrod", another page 4 fave from the same thread, post #69...

"The White Album

Revolver

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Abbey Road

Rubber Soul

Magical Mystery Tour

Let It Be"

Exactly...but best said, in long form later, in post #181 by "choo-choo-charlie", who said...

"It's like ranking albums by The Beatles, for me. I love them all, some a little more than others. You could say I celebrate the whole catalog. But my preferences change with the seasons, moods, what else I'm listening to in a particular phase..."

My own lengthy Beatle comparison analogy-drenched tome appears as post #225 in that same thread...and speaks of what I speak of here...

http://viachicago.or...s/page__st__220

And the last word on the subject, and best, does end up coming just a little bit after mine...by "The High Heat", who spoke these oft to be quoted words of wisdom in regards to trying to quantify/qualify levels of love for the catalog...

"Why rank 'em when you can crank 'em"

PERFECT...and "Spiders (Kidsmoke)" rolls along in the background as I type living his advice...

I just don't get the notion, shared & espoused by plenty here, that from "Being There" through maybe "A Ghost Is Born" is Wilco's peak, & that there was some kind of drop off in quality after that.

Thats not what I meant at all sorry I was trying to keep it reasonably short...I just had a feeling that Jeff was reaching for some kind of different sound that culminated with AGIB thats all..and thats just a guess. And i don't mean the songwriting...I mean what the songs eventually become. It's hard to even explain but I mean Summerteeth had great songs on it, with little hints of something different, special, unique. And YHF kind of went all out and they ended up with a brilliant record but just a tad overkill on the ambient sounds and whatnot. AGIB just seems like the perfect blend of this sound they were striving towards and Jeff's songs. But as for a drop in quality after that, noooo way. It just seemed like the end of an era, certainly not a peak. SBS is probably my favorite album, I have a hard time deciding between it and AGIB. It's completely different and wonderful in the sense that you would think they would continue this route they were taking but they just did a straight up rock record and completely blew me away. And I have no complaints about the second half, I'm suprised so many people do.

oh and before someone rips me about loving AGIB and complaining about the ambient sound thing on YHF, I know that Less Than You Think is nothing but noise....It is what it is. I just think that some of those YHF songs were a little overdone after hearing the live versions of them now. Like Poor Places for example, when I hear that live I'm thinking "thats the way that song was meant to be" just opinion...don't hate

Thats not what I meant at all sorry I was trying to keep it reasonably short...I just had a feeling that Jeff was reaching for some kind of different sound that culminated with AGIB thats all..and thats just a guess. And i don't mean the songwriting...I mean what the songs eventually become. It's hard to even explain but I mean Summerteeth had great songs on it, with little hints of something different, special, unique. And YHF kind of went all out and they ended up with a brilliant record but just a tad overkill on the ambient sounds and whatnot. AGIB just seems like the perfect blend of this sound they were striving towards and Jeff's songs. But as for a drop in quality after that, noooo way. It just seemed like the end of an era, certainly not a peak. SBS is probably my favorite album, I have a hard time deciding between it and AGIB. It's completely different and wonderful in the sense that you would think they would continue this route they were taking but they just did a straight up rock record and completely blew me away. And I have no complaints about the second half, I'm suprised so many people do.

The line you quoted wasn't aimed at you, at all...it was just a simple generalization...that most folks prefer, & often strongly prefer, a few certain Wilco albums, & I think, like Beatles albums, that they are all of pretty great quality. I agree with you that "A Ghost Is Born" is amazing, & can see why it would be anyone's fave.

I'm not having any fun anymore.

Although this isn't an album...how about a little of the "Why rank 'em, when you can crank 'em?" medicine for what ails 'ya?

Here's some fun for you...

The whole enchilada is now up on youtube & weighing in at just under 90 minutes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlxMbsauFtU

‎11 Aug 2012 / Rees-Haldern, Germany Haldern Festival

01 - Dawned On Me

02 - War On War

03 - I Might

04 - At Least That's What You Said

05 - I Am Trying to Break Your Heart

06 - One Wing

07 - Handshake Drugs

08 - Poor Places

09 - Art of Almost

10 - Standing O

11 - Hummingbird

12 - Impossible Germany

13 - Born Alone

14 - Whole Love

15 - I'm Always In Love

16 - Heavy Metal Drummer

17 - I'm the Man Who Loves You

18 - Shot in the Arm

(and related to this thread, once they hit Europe, as others here have noted, songs from "Wilco (The Album)" began reappearing, & here, in a shortened "festival" set, we get the beautiful "One Wing", sixth song here...)

I just think that some of those YHF songs were a little overdone after hearing the live versions of them now.

I'm totally with you on that. I've had this debate endlessly with friends who, like many here, point to YHF as the holy grail peak of Wilco. I love every single song on YHF, but in the live context. When I go back and listen to YHF, I find it overproduced and doesn't stand up over time; the production, not the songs. And i was pleased to watch an interview with Tweedy that was posted somewhere here a few months ago (it takes place outside a restroom if that jingles anyone's memory) where he pretty much said the same thing directly. That the songs on YHF have thrived in the live setting. I jumped all over that quote at the time.

I also agree, I'd rather crank 'em than rank 'em.

Cars Can't Escape is one of my favorite tunes. I would like a definition of inferior.....I'll take the YHF outtakes over WTA as a hole.

I agree. I don't like Cars Can't Escape as much as I do because it is unreleased, I like it because of how it resonates emotionally. The music and the lyrics convey the feelings of losing someone that one has long taken for granted to a devastatingly beautiful effect. I just think it really hits the mark.

• 10 months later...

I'm definitely a member of the "AGIB is Wilco's best work" party but I also think that SBS is their third best outfit.

Call it boring or whatever you like, but IMHO the second half of that record (and the first for that matter) get right inside of specific emotions and human moments that the other records missed out on. That's what makes Wilco amazing, they continue to explore different things as they move on like Jeff discussing parenting on TWL's "I Might". I don't know where you place yourself on "the second half" of SBS but "Shake It Off" really angles on moving through  depression and the state of your mind their even when it seems to be written about shaking off an addiction. "On and On and On" deals with death in a way that I think few other songs in anyone's catalog has and has some of Wilco's best bridges in recent memory. "Leave Me (Like You Found Me)" and "Please Be Patient With Me" also really capture an introvert perspective and set of emotions I can seriously identify with.

I guess after reading all of the comments about how everybody spun the other records more, that seems weird to me. Wilco has always had records that vary enough that as you progress through the set, you start carrying an expectation that will always have to be broken. AGIB is not YHF and listening with either of those ears to BT or SBS will make you hate them. It just seems like every record takes the same type of dedicated listen to get back that very full reward. If you spent that time with YHF and not SBS just because it didn't catch you the same way at first, it's hard for me not to say "too bad, you really missed out."

On that note, W(TA) has some really solid tracks like "Country Disappeared", "Solitaire", and "Everlasting Everything" but I am surprised that they took "One Wing"out of the touring list as it was such a cool transition from "IATTBYH" into that song. "One Wing" is one of their best songs period IMHO.

Cheers

On that note, W(TA) has some really solid tracks like "Country Disappeared", "Solitaire", and "Everlasting Everything" but I am surprised that they took "One Wing"out of the touring list as it was such a cool transition from "IATTBYH" into that song. "One Wing" is one of their best songs period IMHO.

Cheers

:blink

Weakest track on a Wilco LP by far, IMO.