Wilco (The Forgotten Album)

I'll take the front half of W(TA) over the back half of SBS any day. While I loved the production on SBS and still do, it's a little wooly and claustrophobic, it makes W(TA) sound really open and clear. I'd say, of course, that the sound of TWL splits the difference between warm/intimate and open/smooth- that and I think the song quality control is higher through the entire new album.

I'm just curious -- can you explain to me what "wooly and claustrophobic" means when describing music?

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will sound condescending to most, but anyone who says that even the worst Wilco albums are still great needs to listen to a lot more music.

Well what it sounds like is somebody who doesnt know me (or others) thinks they know my musical cred ....

This will sound condescending to most, but anyone who says that even the worst Wilco albums are still great needs to listen to a lot more music.

So what you are saying is ... "if your tastes dont align with mine its obvious you are lacking in musical experience and judgment" So the more I think about your statement I will have to agree with with you that "most will find this sounds condencending"

I'm just curious -- can you explain to me what "wooly and claustrophobic" means when describing music?

Sorry, I'm a recording engineer, which makes me hear things in funny ways. So.... it's not something about song writing, or lyrics. It's literally the way microphones, eq's etc. were used in their space. It sounds like it was recorded with a mic one inch away from everything in a room with really thick carpet everywhere. There is not a lot of breath, it doesn't sound 'open'. If you listen to it and W(TA) right in a row you can hear how different the approach was.

WTA definitely gets the red-headed stepchild treatment in the Wilco catalog. The show I saw last fall featured both BBN and One Wing, but I have to say neither gets me excited. I would have loved to hear Wilco (the song) at my hometown St. Augustine show, but they dropped that one off the setlist because of the venue's early curfew. I've been waiting and hoping to hear Country Disappeared live, which they occasionally break out. Agree with previous posters about the second half of SBS... it's just flat compared to the first half, and to other Wilco records. Overall, I'm very excited about recent setlists, but it does make one wonder whether the band isn't playing WTA because they don't want to, or because of fan feedback. Hmmmm.....

I've never understood why some people need to see "I think..." or "It is my belief that..." before every opinion made on an internet message board.

Because with even as few as three key strokes - IMO- you can indicate to others that you are not invalidating the opinion of everyone who disagrees with you. And that in turn creates a respectful environment as opposed to one where people are less interested in discussion and more interested in being correct and "winning". In my view, its just being polite and it makes message boards far more pleasant places to hang out. I get that others may not care about that.

I've mentioned all of this before, but here it goes again...don't think they've ever released anything less than great albums (one of the rare, & longest such streaks in modern music)...also...while I love them all, if forced to choose (& fave is usually whatever I'm listening to at the time & lately lots of "Summerteeth" actually), I'd go with "The Whole Love" as my fave, "Sky Blue Sky" as rounding out my top three &, get this, "Wilco (The Album)" as my second favorite album of theirs.

Of the stats for the 2012 tour, they've just played slightly less of "A.M.", but "Wilco (The Album)" is 2nd to last & I personally think that has a lot to do with it being the second most recent album....

Anyhow here's the breakdown of what they've done off of it this year, & how often...

http://www.setlist.fm/stats/albums/wilco-23d6982b.html?year=2012

Because with even as few as three key strokes - IMO- you can indicate to others that you are not invalidating the opinion of everyone who disagrees with you. And that in turn creates a respectful environment as opposed to one where people are less interested in discussion and more interested in being correct and "winning". In my view, its just being polite and it makes message boards far more pleasant places to hang out. I get that others may not care about that.

Yup agreed

Yes. And yes. And hell yes.

Yes. And yes. And hell yes.

You could be polite by not being repetitious. Instead, you're clogging up the traffic that is communication. Why overstate your thoughts? It just makes it harder to read for the next person. If that's being polite, damn, I'm a miserable asshole.

Sorry, I'm a recording engineer, which makes me hear things in funny ways. So.... it's not something about song writing, or lyrics. It's literally the way microphones, eq's etc. were used in their space. It sounds like it was recorded with a mic one inch away from everything in a room with really thick carpet everywhere. There is not a lot of breath, it doesn't sound 'open'. If you listen to it and W(TA) right in a row you can hear how different the approach was.

I figured as much, but thank you for indulging me. I actually prefer the sound of SBS to WTA; I like the 1970s vibe to it, reminds me of a lot of music my dad used to play when I was growing up.

I also think SBS would have been enhanced greatly with the inclusion of The Thanks I Get and Let's Not Get Carried Away, maybe even Glad It's Over, as official album tracks. But that's like, my opinion, man...

So you and your friends and/or people you get into conversations with at a pub, always discuss subjective things such as music, politics, sports, movies, etc. in the following manner? "Well in my opinion Shug, 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' is far superior to the claptrap that makes up anything post-Revolver. I am not invalidating your opinion and have no desire to win, that is simply how I see it".

There is never any, "What? The Godfather 3 blew the original away? Are you fucking stupid? That was a piece of shit."?

If so, then I'll be damned. I thought that Jules conversational style was an anomaly. You two should plan a get together to respectfully discuss politics.

I figured as much, but thank you for indulging me. I actually prefer the sound of SBS to WTA; I like the 1970s vibe to it, reminds me of a lot of music my dad used to play when I was growing up.

I also think SBS would have been enhanced greatly with the inclusion of The Thanks I Get and Let's Not Get Carried Away, maybe even Glad It's Over, as official album tracks. But that's like, my opinion, man...

You are the first person I've seen who likes Glad It's Over. IMO, worst song in the catalog. Now, the thanks I get....great song.

So you and your friends and/or people you get into conversations with at a pub, always discuss subjective things such as music, politics, sports, movies, etc. in the following manner? "Well in my opinion Shug, 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' is far superior to the claptrap that makes up anything post-Revolver. I am not invalidating your opinion and have no desire to win, that is simply how I see it".

There is never any, "What? The Godfather 3 blew the original away? Are you fucking stupid? That was a piece of shit."?

If so, then I'll be damned. I thought that Jules conversational style was an anomaly. You two should plan a get together to respectfully discuss politics.

I agree with Shug, a little bit of civility goes a long way on a message board. It makes for better discussions instead of a competition.

I'll take it over Leave Me Like You Found Me!

I'll take anything over Leave Me Like You Found Me. In my opinion, of course. At least, it is my belief that Leave Me Like You Found Me is the worst song in Wilco's catalog. This, however, is just my opinion and I recognize that there may be others on this board who might enjoy listening to that song. I am in no way trying to invalidate the opinion of anyone who might think differently regarding the merits of Leave Me Like You Found Me. I am merely stating that my preference is to skip it every time it comes on. When skipping it, I do apologize to the song, the album, Wilco, Jeff Tweedy, and the many people who share a perfectly valid opinion of the song that happens to differ from mine.

I don't ever see any love for Deeper Down on this forum. So I express it now in hopes of reciprocation. Wait, I don't think songs can love. Just their writers. Ffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Deeper Down has been my favorite on that album since the beginning.

Well what it sounds like is somebody who doesnt know me (or others) thinks they know my musical cred ....

So what you are saying is ... "if your tastes dont align with mine its obvious you are lacking in musical experience and judgment" So the more I think about your statement I will have to agree with with you that "most will find this sounds condencending"

It has nothing to do with "musical cred" or whether your tastes are the same as mine. Compare it to movies. If you've seen 20 movies in your entire life, you might think The Departed is the greatest movie of all-time. But when you start seeing more and more movies and reach back to more of Scorsese's films, etc., you soon realize that while The Departed may be pretty decent, it's far from great. You pick up on its shortcomings more easily.

The same goes for music. If you listen to 5-10 albums a year, then perhaps you think every Wilco album is great. But if you listen to hundreds of new albums each year, the quality of Wilco's work diminishes a little as soon as you start realizing how much truly great music exists out there.

Of course, I could be wrong. Maybe some people listen to tons of music each year and still believe that Wilco's weakest efforts are "great." In that case, more power to them. I just find it highly unlikely.

I too love Deeper Down more than most songs. This leads me to believe that you are right, I am right and anyone who thinks otherwise is a buffoon. Should anyone question the quality of that song without the insertion IMHO I will challenge them to fisticuffs posthaste. Zounds!

I'll take anything over Leave Me Like You Found Me. In my opinion, of course. At least, it is my belief that Leave Me Like You Found Me is the worst song in Wilco's catalog. This, however, is just my opinion and I recognize that there may be others on this board who might enjoy listening to that song. I am in no way trying to invalidate the opinion of anyone who might think differently regarding the merits of Leave Me Like You Found Me. I am merely stating that my preference is to skip it every time it comes on. When skipping it, I do apologize to the song, the album, Wilco, Jeff Tweedy, and the many people who share a perfectly valid opinion of the song that happens to differ from mine.

That's some funny sh*t right there.

I think, no, it's my opinion that, wait...I believe the eloquent, respectful wording of your opinion is well-crafted and a model for all posts on an Internet forum. I applaud you for your exemplary work.