Wilco (The Forgotten Album)

I think this is true of most sets of fans, as far as the out-of-whack love of obscure, unreleased material. I remember when I was on a huge Radiohead kick and I had to have every B-side, every unreleased song, every rare live song or cover, etc. I was convinced that they were all excellent. Listening to them later, there may have only been a couple that were truly worth it.

I picture us as a bunch of Kristen Schaals.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in·fe·ri·or

adj \in-ˈfir-ē-ər\

1 : situated lower down : lower

2 a : of low or lower degree or rank

b : of poor quality : mediocre

3 : of little or less importance, value, or merit

There used to be a guy around here that would do nothing but this and spelling corrections.

:lol No. The previous poster said "I would like a definition of inferior," so I thought I would provide one.

:P I guess you missed my point. I was being sarcastic. I thought your opinion was inferior. Or as you put it, "of lower degree or rank". :dance

Sometimes one sould let a rhetorical question be. Opinion is opinion until one becomes a jackass. :D

(See I did it again. I took a soft stand on opinion, and you kicked it up a notch. :devil . But since your going to be a smartass, I'll play along. :ninja ).

All those pretty faces are for you.

There used to be a guy around here that would do nothing but this and spelling corrections.

But if no one is around to correct other people, how will we ever tell what someone is trying to say and if they mean so?

Can't trust people, man: they have problem distinguishing their and they're.

:P I guess you missed my point. I was being sarcastic. I thought your opinion was inferior. Or as you put it, "of lower degree or rank". :dance

Sometimes one sould let a rhetorical question be. Opinion is opinion until one becomes a jackass. :D

(See I did it again. I took a soft stand on opinion, and you kicked it up a notch. :devil . But since your going to be a smartass, I'll play along. :ninja ).

All those pretty faces are for you.

should....you're

should....you're

Well played sir. I bust a gut laughing at myself when I read your responce. I take it all back, and I tip my hat. bleedorange, you rock! :guitar

I still like Cars Can't Escape...but I have a new found resepect for your wit.

pres·ent

adj \ˈpre-zənt\

1: now existing or in progress

2: a : being in view or at hand

b : existing in something mentioned or under consideration

3: constituting the one actually involved, at hand, or being considered

4: of, relating to, or constituting a verb tense that is expressive of present time or the time of speaking

5: obsolete : attentive

6: archaic : instant, immediate

pres·ent

adj \ˈpre-zənt\

4: of, relating to, or constituting a verb tense that is expressive of present time or the time of speaking

This guy!!!!!!!!

pres·ent

adj \ˈpre-zənt\

:lol Where ya been lately?

"Wilco (the Song)" is so much fun live. Wish they always played it. And I assumed (wrongly I suppose) that "One Wing" would become a live staple, because it was a great showcase for Nels.

I always wished they'd let Nels go off for a while towards the end of this song. He just rips on that song.

i don't post much here, but need to stop by and give some love to (The Album). I wasn't overly excited at first by the record, but over the last couple of years i've come to realize (for me), that "One Wing", "Deeper Down," "Bull Black Nova," and "Solitaire" are 4 of the best/prettiest songs on any record. Not sure why it took me a bit to realize it (well, i did love "Nova" from the get go, as it punches you hard right out of the gate).

But yeah, there is definitely love from me for (The Album).

I am probably way off, but i kinda thought that "One Wing" had become sort of a set list staple?

Now that we're a bit removed from the newness of The Whole Love...I'll probably do a Wilco catalog listen to refresh my thinking of each album. I don't anticipate SBS or WTA to hold up very well, but there's always room for surprises.

Wilco the album was the first real misstep from Wilco. It's an album I have almost tried to forget.

Sky Blue Sky still works well as an album, even if it isn't the most exciting record in their catalog. Wilco (The Album) sounded like a band unsure of what direction to go next, it also felt extremely rushed and underthought. If you go back to interviews with the band about making Whole Love, they stress that they spent a lot more time on making the record then the last, almost admitting that maybe they didn't try that hard on the last album. And I completely agree, Wilco (TA) felt like a collection of weak B-sides compared to what we were used to. Thank goodness the band realized it too. I think playing those songs live and seeing the rather tepid response was part of that realization.

I think they played Country Disappeared at the show in Miami, but I could be mistaken.

• 2 weeks later...

The "boycot" of W(TA) continues. At this point I find this really surprising. So many shows have gone by. Whatever one may think of the merits of this particular collection of songs as an organic whole, there are individual songs that I enjoy hearing live and believe hold up well in the setlists. I just cannot believe they've abandoned the entire album. A while back someone posted they thought it must be a contractual dispute and I scoffed to myself. But at this point, I think that person may be on to something.

I veer away from a contractual dispute theory, and think that the band is not playing any W(TA) because they don't want to - they are not inspired by the songs at this time, or they are not having as much fun playing them, or they don't fit with the flow of the set lists on this leg of the tour. I have no evidence for this, just a fan's hunch.

In Davenport a month ago, they played One Wing and Country Disappeared. The former got an ok response from the crowd, the latter less so (except from me, as I requested it online 4-5 times prior to the show). I did not miss W(TA) in the other two shows I saw on this tour that were W(TA)-less. That said, I don't think they have abandoned the album forever. I think they will sprinkle in a song or two per night from it again in the future, just not now.

I gotta say it's pretty odd (& not to sound paranoid, but at least a little suspect...) that they really just aren't playing anything off this one particular album...and for a protracted amount of shows...being it's my second fave of theirs, this is a minor point in an amazing east coast run of show & an embarrassment of riches in varying set lists, but a point it is, for me at least...really too bad...still amazing catalog, & amazing shows, but I do miss not hearing anything from this one...

been repeatedly requesting- "Open Mind", "What Light" & from this one "Everlasting Everything" for every show I've been too...to no avail...yet...Columbus, OH & my last show, is tomorrow & hope springs eternal...& if not that, then at least something/anything from the album!!!

been repeatedly requesting- "Open Mind", "What Light" & from this one "Everlasting Everything" for every show I've been too...to no avail...yet...Columbus, OH & my last show, is tomorrow & hope springs eternal...& if not that, then at least something/anything from the album!!!

I'd like to hear What Light too. I love that song.

• 2 weeks later...