• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No matter what happens, I would welcome hearing some new songs at Solid Sound in June. Hearing Born Alone, I Might, Dawned on Me, Whole Love, etc. at the last Solid Sound, a few months before the release of the record, was a treat.

I'm just going by memory here so I could be wrong, but I thought the only song from The Whole Love they sang at Solid Sound was I Might.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't "Unlikely Japan" recorded around the time of AGIB? Sounds like a circa 2002-03 Jeff Teeedy vocal to my ears. I really dig that track.

You are right, of course. I just meant that there is prolly a lot of stuff in the vaults that we don't know about. Just like UJ being a surprise to us hardcore fans.

I really like the song too. My favorite from W(TA) time period.

I'm just going by memory here so I could be wrong, but I thought the only song from The Whole Love they sang at Solid Sound was I Might.

I think they also played Dawn on me

An acoustic live (or not) set would be great while we're waiting for the new album

[quote name=Wilco Me" post="1517430" time="1357185332]I'm just going by memory here so I could be wrong, but I thought the only song from The Whole Love they sang at Solid Sound was I Might. I was definitely wrong. They played Whole Love, Standing O, Dawned On Me, I Might and Born Alone. How did I forget all that? So wow, we might hear lots from the new album this summer!  :badger

My bet would be everything has been taped for a very long time, and in the band's possession. If it wasn't cost-effective then no bands would do it, and many do. Could be a very nice revenue stream for the band, and a wonderful thing for the fans as well.

That would be my hope also, though I do know when Greg Kot was researching for his Wilco bio, there were fans he leaned on for access to bootleg recordings for certain live shows, particularly the rougher England shows of the Being There era. Given the access he had, I would guess that they might not actually have deep live archives. But then again maybe tasked with the option of spending more time with Greg Kot, they kept their stash to themselves.

Very excited for the new album, no idea where they'll go next, but I will follow.

--Mike

I thought the same thing when I first thought about it, too. But we got I Might, Born Alone, Whole Love, and Dawned on Me the first night and Dawned on Me, Standing O, I Might, and Born Alone on the second (plus I Love My Label). I remember thinking I Might was a rocking tune (if I remember right, that was available as a single at the festival), and then I remembered his falsetto at the beginning of Whole Love got a few laughs the first night.

Another 4-5 new songs at SS III would be a nice bonus.

I have been outta the loop recently and lack a time frame.  Have they had a break from touring fal 2012?  Any speculations as to whether the new stuff exists already and is now being tweaked/recorded or is that the plan for early 2013?  When can we realistically expect this new record?

Also I seem to remember something from an interview around the time of TWL release where Jeff (or maybe) someone else said they'd recorded fifty songs and narrowed it down to the 10(?) that ended up on the record.  Possibly another release from this material?

That said, I think Jeff and Tony have enough business savvy to put out new material every two or three years until the well runs dry, and if and when that happens, go back to the plethora of "secret" material. 

last Solid Sound fest I thought it would have been awesome for Wilco to play an album in full one night. And then the next night a mixture of the 'hits'.

I feel like Wilco fans would be really receptive to the band playing their new record in it's entirety without us having heard a note.

last Solid Sound fest I thought it would have been awesome for Wilco to play an album in full one night. And then the next night a mixture of the 'hits'.

I feel like Wilco fans would be really receptive to the band playing their new record in it's entirety without us having heard a note.

That's a very neat idea!  Would you do it in that order, too?  New album, Night 1.  Rest of catalog, Night 2.

Yeah, depending on the arrangements, maybe they could just do a live record of all new material (like what the Beatles initially were trying to attempt with the Let it Be album). I think that would be pretty cool.

Tweedy solo shows in 2013? At least one in Minneapolis/St. Paul or Iowa City (since I won't make it to the benefit shows in Chicago this spring or SS in June)? On a night I don't have to work and better yet, don't have work the following day? Please? Is that asking too much?

I've never seen him solo...so I'm hoping for just one show, in 2013 or 2014 on the east coast somewhere within 6-7 hours, or preferably less, of the Rochester, NY area.

• 3 weeks later...

Below is a quote from an archived 2209 Tweedy interview in Uncut magazine that was just re-posted, but it references next month's issue which features Tweedy talking about the new album they are currently recording. That's why they aren't doing as many live dates in 2013- though I'm hoping for a later 2013 album release & some late in the year tour dates to follow!! Elsewhere I read that Tweedy noted that he had between 3 dozen & 100 song ideas/fragments laying about that they were working on. This is from another thread here, but I thought I'd move the info into this thread.
"Wilco frontman Jeff Tweedy discusses his band’s upcoming new album in the current issue of Uncut (dated February 2013, Take 189), out now – but here, in this piece from Uncut’s August 2009 issue, Tweedy answers questions from fans and famous admirers, and discusses Bob Dylan’s beard, hanging with Neil Young and the recipe for the perfect burger (clue: use cranberries)…"
http://www.uncut.co.uk/wilco/an-audience-with-wilco-s-jeff-tweedy-feature

do you think he could draw enough people for the Wilbur?

or maybe The Sinclair would be cool (just judging from what friends have told me...i haven't been there yet).

He sold out the State Theater up the road in Portland, Maine, a couple of years ago (capacity - 1450). Fairly quickly, too. I think the Wilbur is a similar size, so that would be perfect.

He sold out the State Theater up the road in Portland, Maine, a couple of years ago (capacity - 1450). Fairly quickly, too. I think the Wilbur is a similar size, so that would be perfect.

I was listening to that State Theater show this week. It is what inspired my post about a Tweedy show. I definitely think he could sell the Wilbur. Berklee Performance Center would also be sweet.

do you think he could draw enough people for the Wilbur?

or maybe The Sinclair would be cool (just judging from what friends have told me...i haven't been there yet).

Man, The Sinclair is such a great little venue. I'd love to see Jeff there-- though I think it's probably a little too small.