Solid Sound Friday Night

I guess it's frowned upon having an opinion..ill keep that in mind. I assume in your mind wilco could never disappoint you?

This is a discussion board, right? If everyone on here has to praise everything the band does then I need to move on to a place where I can discuss.

Having an opinion (even contrary to yours) is fine and you've been around long enough to know that people feel quite empowered to criticize the band here.  I think most people are somewhat surprised that you would hold this opinion.  I think this setlist came off pretty much as people thought it would.  I can't imagine having been in that audience and being bored.  I was on pins & needles wondering what was coming next just following the setlist on Twitter.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand that it's an all request show. How did people not request wilco songs that aren't played often? I think it was a blown opportunity to hear some wilco rarities in my opinion. They could have done a healthy amount of covers and a few Wilco rarities at the same time, no? $70 for a day ticket to hear almost all covers doesn't sit well with me. If I didn't attend the show I would be curious to hear the show and I would have maybe appreciated it then but between driving 500 miles, hotel and a ticket it just wasn't what I was hoping for!

On the plus side.. The venue is beautiful, town is too... Festival is well run and people were friendly!

I guess it's frowned upon having an opinion..ill keep that in mind. I assume in your mind wilco could never disappoint you?

This is a discussion board, right? If everyone on here has to praise everything the band does then I need to move on to a place where I can discuss.

In my 16 years of seeing wilco this is the only time I've been bored! Don't mean to be a kill joy! Traveled too far for all covers :(

Same.  The high point for me was the first song and it was pretty much downhill from there with a few others that I knew sprinkled throughout.  Every time the show felt like it was gaining some momentum or flow it was stopped dead in its tracks, which is ok sometimes but I didn't enjoy it last night

Maybe the band should've distinguished between "all-request" and "all-covers."  I think it's entirely reasonable to think they were going to play rare Wilco songs along with the covers.

Having said that, I would've given anything to switch places with the folks who were disappointed!

Maybe the band should've distinguished between "all-request" and "all-covers."  I think it's entirely reasonable to think they were going to play rare Wilco songs along with the covers.

I think that's an important distinction. I had a good time, but was expecting 50% covers, and 50% b-sides/deep cuts. Hopefully tonight we get more than a "best of" setlist. 

Maybe the band should've distinguished between "all-request" and "all-covers." I think it's entirely reasonable to think they were going to play rare Wilco songs along with the covers.

Having said that, I would've given anything to switch places with the folks who were disappointed!

Well said! They might as well not bothered with new Madrid and kingpin last night. I just thought it was a tease to play new Madrid so early.

While everyone is entitled to their own opinion, personally I think you're completely clueless if you're complaining about "too many covers." This is Wilco's own festival, and they played a great bunch of songs. Get a clue and learn to appreciate a once-in-a-lifetime experience instead of whining because they didn't play "Jesus etc" or "Impossible Germany." Both of those songs were played for the whole world to see on the Bonnaroo webcast.

I guess Tweedy and the gang could walk on water and some people would still not be satisfied.

Also agree it would have helped a bit had the all request structure indicated it would be all covers. That said, we had a great time last night and it was potentially a once in a wilco fan lifetime opportunity to see them play all those songs that, having been picked by them, they obviously really wanted to play. The only reason they played And Your Bird Can Sing twice was after changing guitars for the next tune Jeff said they did all that hard work for just a two minute song and wanted to play it again. Since i have not been able to see them since early last August and can't make it tonight, yeah seeing a few Wilco tunes would have been really nice, but we have the upcoming set they will do at the Dylan shows to also look forward to and i was just happy that my 35th Wilco show was such a unique one last night. I suspect tonight willl be a great mix of old and newer Wilco tunes and everyone able to be there for both nights will have loved it.  

While everyone is entitled to their own opinion, personally I think you're completely clueless if you're complaining about "too many covers." This is Wilco's own festival, and they played a great bunch of songs. Get a clue and learn to appreciate a once-in-a-lifetime experience instead of whining because they didn't play "Jesus etc" or "Impossible Germany." Both of those songs were played for the whole world to see on the Bonnaroo webcast.

I guess Tweedy and the gang could walk on water and some people would still not be satisfied.

Where did anyone whine about not hearing Jesus or impossible I think you need to get a clue?

I think they would have played more wilco songs if more were requested, i hadn't heard of a single person requesting wilco songs though. The people spoke, and apparently, they all wanted covers.

You really think they played the most-requested songs?  "Kingpin" was the only Wilco song that made the cut?  :)  

From this thread, it seems like a lot of people expected a mix of covers and Wilco songs.  (And unfortunately you can see some people setting themselves up for disappointment, expecting a Wilco-heavy set.)

On another note, it's great to see all the VC requests that were granted -- "And Your Bird Can Sing", "Waterloo Bridge", etc.  I can't think of another major band that would do something like this.  Really wish I could've made it -- it seemed like such a fun, relaxed atmosphere.  And I expect they'll play some deep cuts tonight.

Where did anyone whine about not hearing Jesus or impossible I think you need to get a clue?

When I wake up to view such an incredible set list and then go to via Chicago and find a few people complaining about too many covers and not enough originals, yeah, I think that's whining and people need to get a clue. Would you feel better if I'd said "Magazine Called Sunset" instead of "Jesus etc?"

I stand corrected Wilco can do no wrong! It was the best time I have ever seen them!

I'm done!

If you walk away from a show like that with anything other than amazement that you've had a chance to experience something that every other Wilco fan would kill to experience, it may be a sign that you need to adjust your expectations--that's all I'm saying. Now I'm done too.

When I wake up to view such an incredible set list and then go to via Chicago and find a few people complaining about too many covers and not enough originals, yeah, I think that's whining and people need to get a clue. Would you feel better if I'd said "Magazine Called Sunset" instead of "Jesus etc?"

The guy didn't have a good time. Nothing "clueless" about that. I've seen many shows that didn't meet my expectations and were, therefore, pretty much disappointing. I completely understand Remphish's perspective. I really don't get yours.

His perspective is that the show was disappointing and that they should have played more originals. My perspective is that it looks like a truly once-in-a-lifetime set list and that he is failing to appreciate what he witnessed. If someone else has the right to complain, then I have the right to call them out if I think that dissatisfaction is unwarranted.

So many questions...

e.g.

Roadrunner [The Modern Lovers] - did it get the classic count in?

Any members of the band having obvious joyous moments on particular songs that might have been favorites of theirs? I can imagine Pat would have got into the spirit of a few songs ...

Any points where anyone obviously found part of a particular song challenging? Probably they're too good to have that problem.

Banter corner?

Thanks for all the feedback from those attending.