Solid Sound Friday Night

Well, I guess it's official: people would rather hear Wilco perform their own catalogue than hear covers. :lol

Personally, if they break out a cover like Don't Fear the Reaper or The Weight at the Americanarama show next week, it will most likely be my highlight. I could live without ever seeing another Impossible Germany.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my 16 years of seeing wilco this is the only time I've been bored! Don't mean to be a kill joy! Traveled too far for all covers :(

Yet they have said for months that the first night was going to be an all covers show. Maybe you should have planned to skip Friday night?

This sounds like a really amazing show. Seen them many times and can't imagine anything like this. I really hope this is made available via Roadcase or someone else. I have to hear this. Specifically Roadrunner.

This. 

Also, the people who wanted more of a greatest hits set...maybe you should have seen them at every other show over the last I dunno decade?  Christ.  This band is so versatile.  Unreal.  Every time I think i'm finally bored with them they do something fresh, fun and awesome.  I regret backing out so much right now but I had no choice, school and other travel got in the way.  I must hear this set!

I wasn't there, but, in my opinion, this was a once-in-a-lifetime performance by a once-in-a-lifetime band.

Reality tells me that my physical health and finances would have never allowed me to make it to and make it thru this festival, but I wish I was there as opposed to having my clients and their advisors needle and criticize me all Friday & today (sorry - a job related venting).

Thanks all of you who have supplied the less fortunate of us with updates and videos of this show.

It has made my day a lot brighter.

And especially, thanks to Wilco. I feel sorry for my friends & family (and anyone else for that matter) who don't realize what a great bunch of guys that you are.

Sorry if anyone feels this is gushing too much.

Some footage emerging. Pretty good quality.

ROADRUNNER!

And to answer my question from above, yes it did get the classic intro, though that was restarted :-)

Do I remember someone saying that Miss Y would be there? JoJo lovers rejoice ...

Bird Can Sing take 2

Waterloo Sunset

Peace Love and Understanding

Fear The Reaper

Others from same YouTube user can be found there but those are my favs

Yet they have said for months that the first night was going to be an all covers show. Maybe you should have planned to skip Friday night?

To be fair, the Solid Sound website says:

"Wilco’s Friday night set at Solid Sound will be comprised exclusively of fan-requested songs, including covers."

Which, to me, reads as if it would be a mix of covers and requested originals.  Having been there last night, I can definitely say that it was an awesome and unique experience, but to be honest, my attention lagged a bit during songs I didn't know so well, and the stump the band portion of the show was not very entertaining and ate up the amount of time that was probably equivalent to two more songs in the set.  I thought Hodgeman's comedy bits were getting tired by the end as well.  I could definitely see this format having worked better as maybe a tight, ten to twelve song set of covers, followed by some Wilco originals.  Not complaining, definitely wouldn't have traded the experience for a more "normal" Wilco show, having already seen many fantastic ones, but definitely can see how the show could have been a bit of a letdown for some.  IMHO, people experience subjective things like art and feel the way they feel about them - nobody else's opinion on the matter invalidates those feelings.

I feel lucky to have had the opportunity to witness something unique from one of my favorite musical acts. 

OH WOW! I just spotted what looks like a professional camera operator from the side of the stage!

They're filming some sort of Solid Sound documentary, I believe.

To those hoping a recording of last night's show surfaces, I'm sure it will, but I seriously doubt it will be from the band - too many publishing concerns, probably. I have high hopes of a Roadcase recording of tonight's show, though.

There are signs at the entrance that say that a documentary is being filmed. I've seen multiple cameras at every performance.

This is excellent to hear, and if the finished documentary materializes, I'll be giddy as a schoolboy.  Still, I'm trying not to get too enthused; as we've seen before, these things don't always work out.  We still haven't seen much of the footage recorded by Sam Jones at the Vic in Chicago in May 2005.  Since the band wasn't happy with the results, the planned documentary was scrapped (the shows were eventually released as the Kicking Television live album).

Does anyone know whether the band commissioned a Solid Sound documentary, or was approached by an external filmmaker?

I recorded the show and it will posted at nyctaper either tonight or tomorrow morning.  I'm waiting for photos from my friend who took 100s of amazing shots.

Thank you sir, VERY much appreciated !

I recorded the show and it will posted at nyctaper either tonight or tomorrow morning.  I'm waiting for photos from my friend who took 100s of amazing shots.

:cheers  As always, huge thanks!!!

Awesome!

Watching some videos, "Who Loves The Sun" is just meant to be covered by Wilco. It'd fit perfectly well on Summerteeth.

Really enjoying the recordings -- thanks so much to the tapers.

This is such a fun show, I'm so glad we all get to hear it.  I sort of laughed to myself as I listened, though -- and I don't mean this as a serious criticism...well, maybe half-serious.  But I always think of Wilco as a nearly perfect all-around band who can play anything.  But if they lack anything it's that they rock out in a very tasteful fashion; it's never out of control or excessive.  The closest they get is "Monday" and "Outtasite", but those songs are almost 20 years old.

And that's too bad!  I just listened to a live version of "Surrender" from a Cheap Trick show two days ago and it's so much heavier and more rockin' than Wilco's version.  Ditto for all the heavier numbers like "The Boys Are Back in Town", "Cinnamon Girl", etc.  I'm glad they didn't attempt a Live-at-Leeds-era Who song!  I know it's not fair to compare Wilco to Crazy Horse, but I wish there was a little more wild abandon like we saw with Uncle Tupelo or the early days of Wilco.  But I know those days are over.  And hey, maybe that's what happens when you transition from alt-country to indie rock.

Don't mean to be negative, just an observation.  Brilliant show overall, and I enjoyed last night's broadcast too.

Jeff even addresses this before And Your Bird Can Sing... "Anyone disappointed we're playing all covers?", to which the crowd overwhelmingly cheers no.

i get being disappointed if you truly wanted to hear more Wilco songs, or rare Wilco songs, but I don't get walking away from a once in a lifetime show like this being disappointed in general. there's opinions and there's whining, you're more than entitled to your opinion, and we're more than entitled to feel your opinion comes of as whining :).

and that's all I have to say about that.

amazing show, thank you NYCTaper!!!

edit: he addresses it during Kingpin too... "we'll play a lot of them tomorrow night"

Wow this is a pretty nutso thread to read through....Thank you Wilco for one of the best shows I've ever witnessed! I don't know how anyone could have been bored Friday night. What other band does this for their fans?! I love Wilco so much. Such a happy happy night!