Solid Sound Friday Night

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So happy they played my request (Marquee Moon)! Lost my shit when Tommy Stinson got on stage. Never thought i'd see Wilco cover ABBA, Pavement, and Daft Punk, let alone in the same show. Needless to say, i had the time of my life!

Also, Kingpin was the perfect choice for the lone Wilco song of the set, kept the energy high, fit right in.

In my 16 years of seeing wilco this is the only time I've been bored! Don't mean to be a kill joy! Traveled too far for all covers :(

Really?  I mean, you can see a common Wilco show of them doing the same old versions of the same old originals anytime, anywhere.  You are likely never gonna see Wilco play most of these songs ever again. I guess folks are different, but hearing them do a bunch of songs I've never heard before sounds awesome to me, but I love the covers.  Wish I could trade places with ya.  

It was great and they clearly had fun... Jeff said a few times how much fun they had and how it was the best night ever. Dead Flowers was originally written by Townes Van Zant btw

Nope. That's Mick & Keef from Sticky Fingers. Van Zandt covered it

Gorgeous day at Solid Sound! White Denim was red hot, the Relatives were a major psychedelic soul surprise, and Wilco's jukebox show was a lot of fun if lacking in cohesiveness (but a serious treat I know)

My one complaint is that the emcee, John Hodgman, was a drag. All his randomized tunes were the weakest of the night (love the Dead but Ripple was barely acceptable), and the stump the audience segment kinda blew (except seeing Wilco pull off Daft Punk's Get Lucky was a completely whacko highlight, loved it)

Otherwise I was floored at the range of covers played; the so called rehearsed ones mostly sounded great. I'm not a diehard Wilco fan but overall I was super impressed with Solid Sound and Wilco's all request show. Drop the emcee shtick and I wouldn't mind another all request show at the next Solid Sound (fingers crossed for another, I'm hooked)

I was wondering if any prigs would complain about all the covers at a show heavily billed as an all-request evening, again stated by Jeff at the top of the gig. They had me at Thin Lizzy, sealed the deal with Pavement, then encased it all in a candy shell with Daft Punk - and that's not including every highlight in between. This was one for the books.

Just found a clip of And Your Bird Can Sing:

Thanks very much for sharing!

Wow,Tommy Stinson was there as well!

With the recent news can Paul Westerberg be too far away?

Marquee Moon was my musical highlight of the night. Several others were impressively played, but this one just had some extra creative juice, esp the latter instrumental segment

Can't believe they played Psychotic Reaction by the Count Five. And back to back Waterloo tunes. And Blue Oyster Cult. And....!

Thank you Wilco ;0>

I believe the original version by The Count Five included a harmonica. Wonder if Jeff played it on their cover.

Yeah, Jeff did play harmonica on this! That's all he played, actually, so he was able to hold it in his hands, which doesn't often happen. I thought the band really did a great job on this old rave-up even if it got a bit lost among all the other gems in the course of the show.

And count me among the fans of the covers set! I mean, it was certainly one that appealed most to the real music nerds but just the energy inherent in the band pushing themselves beyond their comfort zone was a treat. What an opening trifecta, too, and I think Surrender must have one of the most fun choruses I can think of to sing at the top of your lungs...

That was just about the most fun show of all time! From the Boys Are Back opener to the last note played I thought it was awesome! Fuckin Wilco. Speechless.

And that it was the most beautiful of Berkshires days/nights did not hurt.

Agreed. A very special show. What a great start to the weekend. Band, venue, weather & people all perfect (although I was appalled at how many people left garbage all over the field - I expected better from Wilco fans!).

Looking forward to today.

Really? I mean, you can see a common Wilco show of them doing the same old versions of the same old originals anytime, anywhere. You are likely never gonna see Wilco play most of these songs ever again. I guess folks are different, but hearing them do a bunch of songs I've never heard before sounds awesome to me, but I love the covers. Wish I could trade places with ya.

I understand that it's an all request show. How did people not request wilco songs that aren't played often? I think it was a blown opportunity to hear some wilco rarities in my opinion. They could have done a healthy amount of covers and a few Wilco rarities at the same time, no? $70 for a day ticket to hear almost all covers doesn't sit well with me. If I didn't attend the show I would be curious to hear the show and I would have maybe appreciated it then but between driving 500 miles, hotel and a ticket it just wasn't what I was hoping for!

On the plus side.. The venue is beautiful, town is too... Festival is well run and people were friendly!

I was wondering if any prigs would complain about all the covers at a show heavily billed as an all-request evening, again stated by Jeff at the top of the gig. They had me at Thin Lizzy, sealed the deal with Pavement, then encased it all in a candy shell with Daft Punk - and that's not including every highlight in between. This was one for the books.

I guess it's frowned upon having an opinion..ill keep that in mind. I assume in your mind wilco could never disappoint you?

This is a discussion board, right? If everyone on here has to praise everything the band does then I need to move on to a place where I can discuss.

So jealous!  What a terrific set of covers.  Based on the clips that have surfaced on Youtube so far the boys absolutely nailed these songs.  How about 'Boys are Back in Town' as an opener with Nels and Pat channelling Brian Downey and Scott Gorham's original twin lead guitar!  Can't wait for a full recording of this to surface.

Wilco promised an all request show & delivered on it. While I'm sure plenty of rare wilco tunes were requested, the band never promised to focus solely on their own catalog

I knew last night some would not be pleased with the show. Even I at times was squirmy about the wacky format as it was uneven at times. Then I shook off the feeling and waited for the next peak moment.

More to come today!

I understand that it's an all request show. How did people not request wilco songs that aren't played often? I think it was a blown opportunity to hear some wilco rarities in my opinion. They could have done a healthy amount of covers and a few Wilco rarities at the same time, no? $70 for a day ticket to hear almost all covers doesn't sit well with me. If I didn't attend the show I would be curious to hear the show and I would have maybe appreciated it then but between driving 500 miles, hotel and a ticket it just wasn't what I was hoping for/quote]

I don't know anyone who requested a Wilco song, rare or otherwise. I thought that was the whole point.