Solid Sound Friday Night

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two things.

First off, from being there I was equal parts amazed and disappointed. Once it became apparent that the show was going to be mostly, if not all, covers I feel like a lot of energy on the crowd's part evaporated noticeably. People went from "sweet, they're doing some Dead" to "Guess I wont be hearing Walt Whitman's Neice tonight, this sucks". Also, Jon Hodgeman and the stump the band stuff killed any momentum that show couldve gained. Both of those were like SNL skits that didnt hit and went on way too long. I am super glad i was there, but at the same time if you weren't don't beat yourself up about it it was a weird night and you've got a great tape to listen to via NYCtaper. 

Second, there were a lot of professional cameras there (I counted at least four). Its not my imagination that this is not standard Wilco practice, even for Solid Sound. Correct?

Second, there were a lot of professional cameras there (I counted at least four). Its not my imagination that this is not standard Wilco practice, even for Solid Sound. Correct?

I believe they had professional cameras at the benefit show last summer. I don't recall cameras like that at SSF1 or 2. 

Back home with the post-Solid Sound blues.  I've read through this topic, and I'll just repeat what I said a number of pages ago:  Friday was one of the all time highlight shows for me.  I'm still smiling about it.  One for the ages.  I actually feel bad for those who were there and came away with any amount of disappointment.  

Back home with the post-Solid Sound blues.  I've read through this topic, and I'll just repeat what I said a number of pages ago:  Friday was one of the all time highlight shows for me.  I'm still smiling about it.  One for the ages.  I actually feel bad for those who were there and came away with any amount of disappointment.  

I agree 100%... It was really cool and unique. I loved it! They were having fun and that was great to see. Coupled with the Wilco set Saturday it was a memorable two nights to say the least. More crowded, sure, but the best of all three SSFs for me!

I agree 100%... It was really cool and unique. I loved it! They were having fun and that was great to see. Coupled with the Wilco set Saturday it was a memorable two nights to say the least. More crowded, sure, but the best of all three SSFs for me!

+1 Wilco has delivered a memorable performance each year of Solid Sound, each unique in its own right.

I wouldn't mind another cover night at the next SS, but I'd skip the emcee if I were in charge.

I'd also love to see a few songs (Wilco tunes would be fine) where the band switched places. Perhaps Pat on vocals, Glenn on bass, Mikael on lead guitar, Nels on drums, Jeff on keys and John on acoustic guitar?

Wow this is a pretty nutso thread to read through....Thank you Wilco for one of the best shows I've ever witnessed! I don't know how anyone could have been bored Friday night. What other band does this for their fans?! I love Wilco so much. Such a happy happy night!

AMEN!!!!!!!!!

Wow this is a pretty nutso thread to read through....Thank you Wilco for one of the best shows I've ever witnessed! I don't know how anyone could have been bored Friday night. What other band does this for their fans?! I love Wilco so much. Such a happy happy night!

AMEN!!!!!!!!!

1528490[/url]" time="1372046888"]I guess I'm pretty amazed that there were some songs people didn't know very well...

Not that I was there, and not that its a good thing or a bad thing (though no doubt you'll feel bad thing), but these people do exist - I am one! Theres a whole ton of stuff that i never got to hear at the time and have never felt the need to explore - either through them appearing at a time when i was not listening to too much music, or sticking to other genres, or that felt too American suburban in its zeitgeist for me to relate too - much as The Jam seemed to resonate perfectly with me here when not so much in the US. In that list i would include The Replacements, Pavement, The Pixies, Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters. I honestly could not name one song of any of theirs that I have heard of other than in posts on VC. To contradict myself though, i've never had a problem relating to good country music, but perhaps thats because it has some celtic strands in its roots :-)

All that said, any setlist with a Beatles cover and some of the other gems is fine by me.

Jeez, such a heated thread!  To anyone who was disappointed by the set, know that you probably have mostly Wilco fans like myself to blame for this calamity, but there was a good chance you could have seen it coming if you're on VC and peeked at the thread.  On the bright side, they didn't go for some of the more far-out requests.  While I too dream of a time where Wilco will play their greatest hits (ie, all songs from UT, AM and BT) again, this will likely never happen, because there's a limited audience that would appreciate it, even amongst Wilco fans.  Remember that they weren't selling out huge venues back in 1997.

Still, loved the set the first night.  Reminded me of a time when they played more covers and were looser, so I guess in some ways it was like being transported back to 1997.  I wasn't there, but Color Me Impressed took me to the Fillmore in my mind.  Anyone else wish that they played I Wanna Be Sedated to lead up to it?  Either way, we should probably lay off each other a little bit and remember who the real enemy is: Wall Street!

Rodion

Just got nyctaper's version, and am comparing it to Brennan's on bt.etree.  At first A>B comparison, Brennan's is much brighter, nyc's more muffled.  At least that's what it's sounding like on my not too good office speakers.  Anyone else compare the two:

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=564880

Jeez, such a heated thread! 

Rodion

Wilco Passion!

Just got nyctaper's version, and am comparing it to Brennan's on bt.etree.  At first A>B comparison, Brennan's is much brighter, nyc's more muffled.  At least that's what it's sounding like on my not too good office speakers.  Anyone else compare the two:

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=564880

thanks for the link...i downloaded the NYC Taper set last night but haven't listened to it yet...will give this one a try first.

too bad I didn't end up meeting you, but i made acquaintances very randomly w/ Paulcalypse and Ghost of Westerberg yesterday. 

On being disappointed by a concert (or an album, for that matter): I find that the more expectations I have, the more likely I am to find myself disappointed. Like if I expected Wilco to be joined onstage by Bob Dylan this week (or vice versa), I am probably in for a letdown. Best to keep expectations low and be pleasantly surprised if they are surpassed. 

From Twitter, so far it looks like:

The Boys Are Back in Town

Cut Your Hair

In the Street

New Madrid

Dead Flowers

Simple Twist of Fate

Ripple

Who Loves the Sun

And Your Bird Can Sing (twice)

Psychotic Reaction

Tom Courtenay (w/Yo La Tengo)

James Alley Blues

Waterloo Sunset

Waterloo

(What's So Funny 'bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding?

Marquee Moon

Don't Fear the Reaper

Cinnamon Girl

Get Lucky (Daft Punk)

Surrender (Cheap Trick)

Color Me Impressed (w/Tommy Stinson)

Kingpin

amazing set!

I don't see what's wrong with a cover set. it's something different and kind of cool. I would have loved it had I been there.

thanks for the link...i downloaded the NYC Taper set last night but haven't listened to it yet...will give this one a try first.

too bad I didn't end up meeting you, but i made acquaintances very randomly w/ Paulcalypse and Ghost of Westerberg yesterday. 

Yes, I also would have liked to have met up.  I did meet up with kidsmoke and wilcome at the VC table when I entered on Friday afternoon, but didn't get much time to chat and never made it back.  Looking forward to seeing your photos, I was blown away by Wilco's stage set and lighting.  We always get a spot about 10 feet in front of the board, the sound and visuals were spectacular. 

i just noticed the Waterloo Sunset > Waterloo sequencing. ha!

i told Jeff at the dinner that i totally dug their version of Don't Fear The Reaper, and he seemed to appreciate it. i think their roadie was on cowbell duties for that one.

Oh, and let me know what you think of the two different recordings.  I totally expected nyctaper's to be the superior version, but I don't think so.

Truly awesome. As a fellow music nerd I've been dying to hear any of my favorite bands do an all-covers night. So awesome. There were about 8 or 9 songs I never heard before, and most of them I really enjoyed. My evening highlight was James Alley Blues which appeared on one of the first Wilco mix CDs anyone ever made for me, back in the late 1990s. I was up front where that song got the quietest reception of the night, but I loved it.

Unfortunately I didn't get to see Tommy on Color Me Impressed even though I was up front - one of the pro-camera men was right in front of me and blocked my view. Actually he blocked my view of Jeff for most of the night too. Boo. So it was funny to me when Jeff called said cameraman out for not eating his pizza, haha (I think that was night 2). The guy actually took his pizza off the speaker stack and placed it out of Jeff's view, LOL.

I liked Night #1's cover-fest, though I get that some folks might have wanted a few Wilco rarities sprinkled in (like a One True Vine or something along that line). That would have been great to have a two or three of those as well. And yes, many of the covers were songs they have done in the past (Ripple, Don't Fear the Reaper, In the Street, etc.). Overall, I was happy as a clam. It looked like they had fun onstage, and the fans around us toward the front looked happy as well.

If Jon Hodgman had come out for only the three stump-the-band songs, that would have been ok with me. The rest of his bit was a time-waster.

My kids were not fond of the classic rock covers, but I consider it a nice tutorial in the genre for them. And they got a Daft Punk song in there, so they got something they knew well.

And Tommy Stinson joining them onstage....that was worth the Early Bird price of admission for me. We have a picture of Jeff with a huge grin on his face as he watches Tommy play. Priceless.

And Tommy Stinson joining them onstage....that was worth the Early Bird price of admission for me. We have a picture of Jeff with a huge grin on his face as he watches Tommy play. Priceless.

This was a highlight for me. I'd love to see your picture of that moment.