Solid Sound - 2015 - June 26-28

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yep

i stayed at the HoJo last year. camped at Savoy 1st year

My friends and I always stay at the HoJo's, the owner is pretty cool and he lets us stay up all night partying by the pool in the back, I couldn't recommend the place any more highly.

For the 1st 2 years we stayed at Blackinton Manor, just outside of N. Adams.  The people are nice, the place is nice enough.  They have a pool.  But last year they made it a mandatory 3 or 4 night stay.  We live close enough that we really don't have to stay for more than 2, so we we rented a house last year and next in Williamstown.  Driving in and parking are no problem.

Was the definitive announcement for 2015 (complete with dates) an attempt to indicate that the next installment will be a "bigger deal" than in years past, or is it just a way to politely say "we're not doing it this year". 

And with no Solid Sound this summer does that likely mean no full band shows until the fall?

I think it's not that it'll be bigger...just think the logistics mean, to do it well/right & still have it be fun for Wilco, that having it morph into a consistently "every other year" event is what's going on.

Also...I'm guessing we'll get full band shows after the new album is done...maybe a one-off at a Fest or something could happen...but I'm betting more that Jeff Tweedy solo will happen at Fests & then, whenever the new album's done is when Wilco will be back out on the road. Hopefully this Autumn...but it could take longer, who knows?

Last year, I stayed at the Hampton Inn in Bennington, VT.  It made sense for me since I was driving down from Burlington, VT, where I have family, and my brother-in-law tagged along for the first day.  It's far out (maybe a 20-30 min drive) but honestly, there was no traffic and close, free parking was easy, since I got there pretty early each day.  Not pricey, perfectly nice and safe, middle-of-nowhere.  A few good casual restaurants/pubs in town as well.  Saw lots of other wristbands at the free daily breakfast.  Once the N. Adams places are booked, I don't think it's such a bad option to stay a bit outside.

Before i deal with SS2015 I have to figure out what I'm doing for Newport Folk Festival this summer.  That will probably be a bigger problem. This is what they call a high-class problem though.  

I am hoping to actually attend the 2015 one - we had other things going for the previous ones. 

The most important piece of advice I can offer to anyone even considering attending the festival is to book your accommodations ASAP. Some places are already taking reservations, at least for previous guests. I can't imagine any downside to doing this early even if you're not yet sure you're going to make it--surely no hotel is going to charge you in advance or consider your reservation nonrefundable this far out, and if you've got the accommodations reserved, there's nothing more you even have to worry about for about a year. Festival tickets will be a piece of cake compared to finding a place to stay.

Well Everyone I have tried has told me that they are not booking yet. I found an awesome House for rent and when I checked availability Solid Sound was already booked. I've sent emails and left messages, and have gotten no where, so I am giving up for now. Hopefully when we get closer to June more hotels will start to open up. Last year we found a pretty decent place only a few months before the event, so I think I should be OK if I start around June.

yeah it was definitely warm last year, and there is little to no shade in those tent "parking lots". After a long day outside in the sun it was really nice to be back in our A/C hotel room.

Got another email from Porches. The Staff of Mass Moca/SS stay at the Proches which is what causes the rooms to be booked in advance.

For the 1st 2 years we stayed at Blackinton Manor, just outside of N. Adams.  The people are nice, the place is nice enough.  They have a pool.  But last year they made it a mandatory 3 or 4 night stay.  We live close enough that we really don't have to stay for more than 2, so we we rented a house last year and next in Williamstown.  Driving in and parking are no problem.

Just called this place. Already booked! Althought I am on a waiting list....since they won't start taking deposits until June.

Madness...

rhino4evr, I stayed at this B&B last year which was in Williamstown on the north side just heading out of town.  The owners were really wonderful people - this house has been a labour of love for them for decades and they have had it designated as a historical site now.  The cost was excellent and included a homemade breakfast.  The only reason I am not staying there this year is that the bathrooms are shared (4 bedrooms I seem to recall with 2 bathrooms) - not really a problem last year, but I prefer my own space.  It didn't book up right away last year because it's not well known.  If you have a car at your disposal, I would recommend it (otherwise it's not that close to the shuttle route).

http://www.riverbendfarmbb.com/index.html