Solid Sound - 2015 - June 26-28

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And she and the band were in the 15th row or so for "An Evening with Wilco" show in Concord, NH a few years back. Looking like they just stepped off the set of "Almost Famous".

Was that the show right after the Mass MoCA benefit show? 

And she and the band were in the 15th row or so for "An Evening with Wilco" show in Concord, NH a few years back. Looking like they just stepped off the set of "Almost Famous".

Yep I was there seated a few rows ahead of them same side She wore a dress and boots.

But I did not even notice her ...

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone here have even the faintest idea when tickets will go on sale for SS 2015? Can past sale times be a good predictor for this next year's? My wife and I are planning to attend for the first time...would like to map it all out, maybe meet up with some VC'ers at the shows, etc. I am on the email list, but have received exactly squat as far as info goes....

Yep I was there seated a few rows ahead of them same side She wore a dress and boots.

But I did not even notice her ...

I sat (more like stood) directly behind her. I'm pretty sure she had some hipster glasses on, but I do know that she wore a gold lame dress with fancy boots. 

I seem to recall late November for on sale and early in the year for a lineup. I'd love to see the format from this small fall run at Solid Sound. 

If memory serves it has generally been December or January. In the past they've offered a limited window for early bird purchases, then at least one other band of pricing. But the differences were not huge and in any event pale in comparison to the other expenses, like accommodations and travel. The problem will not be getting tickets to the festival but getting reservations where you want to stay.

The Holiday Inn conveniently located across the street is already off limits because spoiler text.

But there are plenty places to hide at Mass MoCa. Be discreet and you'll be fine. 

In all honesty, I stayed at the Pittsfield Crowne Plaza. A bit of a drive (30 minutes), but worth checking into if there's nothing left in North Adams. 

Anyone here have even the faintest idea when tickets will go on sale for SS 2015? Can past sale times be a good predictor for this next year's? My wife and I are planning to attend for the first time...would like to map it all out, maybe meet up with some VC'ers at the shows, etc. I am on the email list, but have received exactly squat as far as info goes....

Like Wilco Me says, make your plans.  Getting festival tickets is the least of the problems.

And be prepared--most of the closer hotels will be requiring a 3 or 4 night minimum stay and they WILL be jacking up their prices for the weekend. I honestly don't blame them--it's probably the biggest weekend of the year for them and they are in possessiion of a scarce commodity. I'm sure there will be lots of whining on here about how hard it is to get reservations and how expensive it is, but we just have to suck it up--it's a small town with limited hotel space. Some other options to explore are airbnb.com and vrbo.com.

• 3 weeks later...

Big expansion plans for MassMoCA, set to open in May  2017.  Wonder what that means for any chance of a SS in '16?  Which would be an "off" year anyway if they keep to an every other year rotation.  Surprised no mention of SS in this article.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/2014/11/16/mass-moca-unveils-expansive-vision-for-future-including-artists-laurie-anderson-jenny-holzer-rauschenberg-bourgeois-james-turrell/oPu459PK72ZJUIYd15HmbL/story.html#comments 

Here's a similar article from the Washington Post with brief mention of Wilco and a couple of photos by Zoran Orlic.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/mass-moca-to-become-countrys-largest-contemporary-art-museum/2014/11/15/fba7c816-6c0d-11e4-a31c-77759fc1eacc_story.html

Here's a similar article from the Washington Post with brief mention of Wilco and a couple of photos by Zoran Orlic.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/mass-moca-to-become-countrys-largest-contemporary-art-museum/2014/11/15/fba7c816-6c0d-11e4-a31c-77759fc1eacc_story.html

Does this mean that Laurie Anderson will be playing the next Solid Sound?

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw this on FB and then checked my email and had a couple messages about it as well.

So, looks like SS is about 1/2 the price of Lock'n. SS it is! Will have to meet up with some of you Wilco fanatics...haven't done that since I met suites here in F-L-A about a million years ago...

The early bird tickets have gone up in price by $25. I'm hoping this means they're reducing the number of tickets this year. I'd gladly pay a bit more to have a smaller crowd.

Either way though, it's still a great price for a 3 day festival. Can't wait!

I said something similar in a conversation with friends yesterday. I think Wilco fans would pay more for the festival and it might yield as much or more revenue with less crowding. This festival is the best bargain going. Not only the music but also the amazing museum.

The early bird tickets have gone up in price by $25. I'm hoping this means they're reducing the number of tickets this year. I'd gladly pay a bit more to have a smaller crowd.

I very much doubt they are looking to sell fewer tickets. I heard the promoter took a loss with the first SS.  The 2013 had more people, but I still didn't find it too crowded.  I had no issues at all with the size of the crowd.  Perhaps we were spoiled with the first SS

I very much doubt they are looking to sell fewer tickets. I heard the promoter took a loss with the first SS.  The 2013 had more people, but I still didn't find it too crowded.  I had no issues at all with the size of the crowd.  Perhaps we were spoiled with the first SS

spoiled w/ the 1st two SSFs.

it was definitely way more crowded for #3 (esp around the courtyard stage that the balcony overlooks...the one where The Blisters played) and i was pretty bummed that even my press pass wouldn't get me into the Hunter to catch even a minute of the Cline/Lage show. but was the event truly sold out?

I think they sold out the one day tickets for Saturday at SS3.

Or maybe I just came to believe that because it was the only day that I found to be crowded out of SS2 and SS3.

Raising the price to $124 makes great sense - still a bargain, with probably 2 Wilco shows, the side projects, several other bands that people will be interested in, reasonably-priced food, and entry into the museum for 3 days. The museum is the secret bonus, especially for kids. I remember walking out of one installation at SS2 that featured what appeared to be large poops, and one of my daughters said, "Dad, anything can be contemporary art." Right on! We talk as much about the art that we remember as the live shows.