• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to buy the webcast for tomorrow night.  I'm too curious.  BTW, aren't they jumping the gun with the Blue-Ray release?  Seriously, what if the shows really blow or if there's lots of technical problems.  Just some thoughts.

Haha. People don't give a crap what they sound like. They are there to experience something they never had a chance to OR re-live something that was special. People who buy a blue- ray of that...hmmm IDK. And the "core-4?" They have no concern of what comes of any blue ray.  They have the best in the business for sound engineers and technology. 

I have thoroughly enjoyed what I've caught of these performances. Anyone who is pissing all over these shows seems to have lost what the dead were about in the first place, and it's kinda sad. If their fans get as whiny and self-centered as Wilco fans it will be a sad day.

I have thoroughly enjoyed what I've caught of these performances. Anyone who is pissing all over these shows seems to have lost what the dead were about in the first place, and it's kinda sad. If their fans get as whiny and self-centered as Wilco fans it will be a sad day.

You gotta be kidding me? Deadheads invented self centered. I don't want to act like a deadhead and try to "out dead "anybody who reads this post. I hate that shit more than whiny fans. Believe me, deadheads are the most self centered, self obsessed fans in the universe. Wilco fans come in second but I can't even really speak to that. I've only seen Wilco about 18 times and my first show 2003, so I'm no Wilco cult expert. 

I'm surprised there hasn't been any Good Lovin' or Not Fade Away yet. I could do without Good Lovin', but would love to hear Not Fade Away. Final encore? I imagine they'd want to close with an original, but I don't know.

Only heard Birdsong last night.  I'm heading to a local Dead bar to watch tonight.  Should be fun.  They definitely saved some heavy hitters for tonight.

Other One

China>Rider

Estimated

Samson

Throwin

NFA

Ramble On Rose

Uncle

Definitely!

totally!  the dude can sing and actually rip on guitar.  saw them on at the first further fest and then just killed on a version of Bertha.  

as far as the final run goes…it was fun and celebratory.  nice to actually put closure to the whole thing…even though they'll be playing in various incarnations from here on out.  

as an aside, i'm surprised they didn't do black muddy or so many roads.

I listened on and off on Sirius to Friday and Saturday, last night was the first night I was home and got myself situated for the PPV.  I was psyched and had high expectations based on everything I had been hearing from all those "picky" deadheads, but truth be told I was underwhelmed last night.  I'm sure I would have had fun if I had been there, but the music didn't make the leap from the stadium to my tv room (and I usually love doing couch tour).  Most of my issues were with Weir: his guitar playing was fine, but he just visually looked so out of it, and his singing was terrible, both voice and timing. More than an acceptable number of train wreck/awkward moments in the song transitions. Great to hear/see Trey play, Phil was enormous as usual, as were Billy and Mickey.  Hornsby underutilized in the mix from what I remember how prominent he was in the '90-'91 years.  Wasn't bad, but just never really melted my mind.  Also, I was very tired and the show is very late on the east coast.

Just my $0.02.

One more thing: I wish Donna made an appearance.  No idea why that didn't happen, but I would have liked to have heard her sing (and they could have used her voice).

Saw only night 3 at a Patio Party, late night but worth the sleep deprivation. it was a bit uneven but overall they pulled off a decent trifecta.

Loved Weir's " Let Trey Sing" t shirt

Moreover as this fine band says Fare Thee Well .. I have nothing but Gratitude, and, I wish them a Great Rest of their Journey of course thanks for my favorite music to listen to when I'm fishing.

I was less emotional about last night's "Fare Thee Well" than I expected to be.  Mostly because GD music lives on for me in current incarnations.  I guess I didn't have an emotional attachment to the "core 4" being on stage together or for them calling themselves the Grateful Dead one last time.  I thought that would get to me, but it just didn't.  GD music is still very important to me, and I'll continue to go hear it live when I can.  Next up will be Phil and Friends for 2 nights at Lockn'.  And to my ears, the best current way to experience live GD music is to go see or listen to JRAD.

Wow, what a weekend! I only saw the Friday show, listened to 3/4 of Saturdays and know nothing of last nights show except the song list. Observations and etc from Friday- First off, my experience surrounding the Friday show was fantastic. We met my buddy in the Waldron lot who got in real early so we had a primo spot. If we were selling food and/or beer, we would've made a mint. Anyways, me and my wife are talking with folks and who do we end up chatting with? Why, its Calvino, who is buddy's with my pal. Unbelieveable how these things happen some times. Calvino's a great guy and it was great meeting you. The scene was unreal in the lot. It seemed every freak in the land turned out for this. Everyone from 15 year old gutter punks to some ancient flower power grannies were representin'. ENORMOUS clouds of weed. Lots of great artwork. My bud got his pic taken by the Tribune-they wanted him to demonstrate his brat cooking skills. Ok, time to head to the show. Me and Pete had behind the stage tix so trying to get in the south end of the stadium was not the plan. We skirted around the stadium and found a much shorter line on the north end. Then we got lucky with someone popping a side door right next to us which got us into the building. Celebration all around! Approaching "security", I was shocked to find what looked like a 10 year old kid waving a hand held metal detector around, "searching" for weapons and contraband. Ok, past him, I see that the ticket takers were not ready and rather than wait thru that mess, we simply took a short cut around a gate and we were in the show proper. (Side note-my impression of the ticket takers, ushers and beer sales folks was poor. It was obvious there folks hadn't experience in doing this before). We had balcony seats that offered not a shred of stage but it had a nice view of 2 video screens. Settled in with a few beers. For some reason, our row only had like 5 people in it so we had lots of room to spread out and dance. The show itself offered great energy and pleasant crowd and IMO, a great set list. Pretty much every tune they played I was pleased with. The second set was when they hit their stride and the dancing went into overdrive. I thought Trey was great. Obviously he's no Jerry but I thought he did a fine job. After it was over, me and Pete sat around talking and next thing I knew, absolutely everybody in our section was gone except for one passed out guy directly behind us. I gave him a nudge and told him the show was over. He stood up and just ran away. Went back to the lot, drank more beers with the guys until there were only a handful of cars left and the cops started getting testy so it was time to split. I had so much damn fun during that show, before and afterwards that I started to consider using my unripped/unscanned Friday ticket to try to get into the Sunday show but because we stayed up on Saturday night until 3am listening to the delayed simulcast on XRT, my energy/motivation was low. Overall, it was a fantastic time and am grateful I went. Thanks to Pete for giving me a ticket, much much appreciated. It was fantastic to be immersed in the hippy family scene one more time.

The only show I attended was the final performance. The songs had numerous flubs and the transitions were weak and strained --- but... that being said, the jams were really really well done I thought. To be honest, given the limited amount of time Trey had to practice with the band and to learn the plethora of songs, I was impressed. The band gave one hell of a final show - all things considered...

the song choice was a bit odd...Chider, Estimated into a fantastic jam led by Trey that went into.....eyes (no), but rather Built to Last....huh?

Also, another amazing Trey led jam out of mountains of the moon that went into .... Cassidy? ok - great song but, huh?

Also, out of the space, the band went into...Days Between?...

I was impressed with Weir's rhythm while Trey was soloing...looks like nice chemistry there...

Also, I was impressed wtih 75000 people all dancing at once...for the whole show...crazy crazy scene....

But, most of all, after seeing this show, it makes me want to hear more Trey...

On a sad note, there was a head who was sitting on a railing of the smoking balcony who fell about 20 feet to a very bad / critical injury...Happened during set break at 300 level of Club section...

http://abc7chicago.com/news/grateful-dead-fan-critically-hurt-in-fall-at-soldier-field/831002/

I only missed China Cat and some of I Know You Rider last night. Sorry I missed China Cat. I may have to go back and hear that. Anyhow, I enjoyed most of this show last night. During Drums, I had the TV on the NASCAR race. Was expecting to find local news, but was too lazy to turn it off. Watching NASCAR and listening to Drums was kind of a trip. Unbroken Chain and Days Between nearly did me in, though. The only time I was really bored listening to any of these shows. But what a finish! Not Fade Away was fantastic!

Great weekend - all around.

Great meeting you, too - NoJ - it's crazy how these things happen - it was fun hanging out  -- and you got in with out someone loosing a ticket - woo-hoo!

All three nights the sound was great - think I enjoyed the 1st night the best. I sat in the same section for all three nights and everyone around me were the same, also - all three nights the energy around us was sustained -- very fun, festive crowd. Lot's of singing and dancing. Great overall stage/video/lights and sound production by the promoter.

The 'before the show festivities', as NoJ stated - were fun --- brings back the old memories of the 80s and early 90s. Three days were enough, though -- man I need to catch on sleep. (5:30am came around quick this morning.)

Bummers:

No Donna

No nod to Brent-WTF?

The tempo to many of the songs I heard were slow, too slow.

No dice on the psychs. None were available that I was made aware of. Just some tasty domestic beers were all I needed.