• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All my technology was tuRnt ofT on the night this album surprised the Wilco world. I got my keys to unlock my door as I returned home at midnight from work. I heard Jeff's voice and unfamiliar rhythm and music. I opened the door to star wars and a VERY happy wife. they did it again with a different approach but the same Wilco we like ( or LOVE). Tonight was my first night to work with the album in my ear. All I can say is More... I was pissed off at nature making me human, and then this song came on and I demolished my work...with a smile 

This made me happy. I love that Wilco is one of those bands that can lift you right out of yourself.

Crossing my fingers and toes that they open the show at the Greek in LA by playing the new album front to back. The more I listen the better it gets. If I could see them do this whole album in its entirety I honestly wouldn't miss getting the 20th Anniversaru-type set list that's been going around. Seeing some of those old tunes would be great but seeing this new record live would be a revelation.

This is such a great album! When the hell did they find the time to do this? And how could they possibly have kept it such a secret from everyone? Not even any little teaser hints about what was to come. Jesus, I love these guys.

So true.  I was out of internet coverage for a week, came back online yesterday and saw this in my email.  First, I thought it was a joke, then thought how could they do this? I have seen them 3 times in the last year and they have been endlessly touring. No way.  This is a fan's band in every way, shape and form!

I hear a bit of Lou Reed in a few tracks.

Totally agree.  Its awesome!

It had to happen, & I'm glad that it's such well done fun... the feel good hit of the Summer...the latest chapter of the continuing adventures of Chicago's favorite Sonic Jedi's!
May The Force Be With You! Indeed...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5huDrE_AOs

And for the record, while wildly passionate about those & that which I love... I'm no knee-jerk fanboy. Plenty of artists I adore have put out lesser, even lousy, works & when that happens I just sigh & call it for what it is. So I can say that I prefer Wilco to Uncle Tupelo, & that the Uncle Tupelo albums, for me, get better & better, but that that catalog has earlier works, which, while I like them & love some songs on them, are more of historical interest & not something I really ever play anymore, after having heard them years ago.

All that said... concerning Wilco's new album "Star Wars"? I think they might just be Jedi. Just incredible!!!!!!!!!!!

It normally takes me at least three listens to any album for me to get warmed up to it.  But after only two, I LOVE this new album..  It's almost like Nels threatened to quit the band if they didn't make an album like this.  And were Mikael and Pat locked out of the studio?

Wilco influenced themselves? Didn't quite see that coming

Minus Jeff and John, it's a completely different set of musicians who play the early Wilco songs nightly.  I'd like to think that a little of Jay's influence found its way into the next generation.

I've streamed it twice now. I like every song. Only The Joke Explained seems to not really go anywhere, but it's not bad or too long. If that's the closest to a 'filler' track, that's not bad at all.

I've got 2 or 3 listens under my belt, plus the Pitchfork set, and I am digging the sonic sounds of this release. I can't quite put my finger on it: on the one hand its so raw and not overproduced, almost a casual release of a band kicking around in the Loft. While at the same time the songs are so Wilco through and through. I can't off the top of my head think of another non-rock opera album where the sequencing is so important. I hope they keep playing this in its entirety to open shows for a while. These songs will kill even more as they get taken out for rides.

In fact, that youtube user seems to uploaded the whole album and they're all kinda different from my download??

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ2_RCxBNeAZ-RSAw_rOWDQ

Star Wars demos leaked already? Kind of fascinating to hear these at a slower pace...RNG is interesting! But i much prefer the album pace.

Easier to pick out the lyrics on these slower versions.

Edit: Looks like the YouTuber has just slowed the songs down "to avoid copyright infringement"...odd that it doesn't seem to affect Jeff's voice. 

Looks as if the uploader deliberately uploaded at wrong speeds. This comment is attached to RNG:

"Slowed down to avoid copyright, just put it at 1.25x and it'll be alright. Great fucking song"

I'm loving following Glenn's drumbeat in the slowed-down RHG. If I were a musician I imagine this would be really helpful in learning to play the song.

Star Wars demos leaked already? Kind of fascinating to hear these at a slower pace...RNG is interesting! But i much prefer the album pace.

Easier to pick out the lyrics on these slower versions.

Edit: Looks like the YouTuber has just slowed the songs down "to avoid copyright infringement"...odd that it doesn't seem to affect Jeff's voice. 

WOW!!! Has anyone made any files yet?

Looks as if the uploader deliberately uploaded at wrong speeds. This comment is attached to RNG:

"Slowed down to avoid copyright, just put it at 1.25x and it'll be alright. Great fucking song"

OK. That makes sense...I've seen that done before. I've read a few things about stories about records that sounded great at the wrong speeds. Greil Marcus once had some record/song appear twice in his "Real Life Top Ten" column with the wrong at the wrong speed charting higher & better.

I remember it myself playing a Waterboys 12-inch single B-side "Medicine Jack" (B-side for "The Whole Of The Moon") at 33 instead of 45 & adoring how the groove & horns sounded more at the wrong speed...

I'm loving following Glenn's drumbeat in the slowed-down RHG. If I were a musician I imagine this would be really helpful in learning to play the song.

Yeah totally weird that Jeff's voice doesn't sound sludgey if that's the case. So strange! Plus YouTube username is "CatStar" -- created just to upload this album. Hmmm

That's totally bizarre, but I do recall this being done before to sidestep copyright infringement. I'm presuming they imported the files into Audacity and used 'Paulstretch' to make the tracks longer but not affect the overall pitch. 

Someone should totally make an '8000 times slower' version of Star Wars.