• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rhino, I've never noticed a sound difference in colour vs no colour. And if you want black there's always the black version available. Options for different folks is never a bad thing. :)

"Any customer can have a vinyl record produced in any color that s/he wants so long as it is black."

-Henry Fordilco

As a childhood Star Wars nerd, this would drive me crazy (in a good way)

Would give new meaning to seeing "Jeff Solo shows"

Pat Sansoneia
Mike Keyswalker
Salacious Cline

Obi-Wan Glennkotche
John Snootles (Lead vocalist of the Max Rebo Band in Return of the Jedi.)

(or Grand Moff Stirattin?)

Sorry. Really bad.

If EKG had popped up on the internet labeled "rare instrumental Pixies studio outtake", I would have believed it.  Joey jamming on the electric guitar, classic Kim baseline, and Black Francis strumming away on the acoustic.  

Or if a band recorded an album that sounded like R.E.M.'s "Around The Sun" and then a couple years later put out an album that sounded like R.E.M.'s "Accelerate"...

Oh.  Wait a minute...

I almost went that route, but I felt Accelerate was a very forced try by R.E.M. to make a relaxed, loose record. Star Wars, to me, has an off-the-cuff, relaxed, extremely confident vibe that Hootenanny definitely has.

A lot of this stuff sounds to me like they let the songs write themselves by recording jams at the loft, listened to the tapes, picked out parts they liked, and formed them into songs.  As opposed to Jeff sitting down with an acoustic guitar and writing songs from scratch.  Although some of it sounds like they/he used that approach, as well.

Don't think anyone else posted this yet unless I missed it, but saw this interview Jeff did with Marty Lennartz of WXRT this morning.  Revelations: He says they are doing the whole album tonight at Pitchfork!  Also, the album name "Star Wars" is either after the 80s missile defense system or the name of the cat; "that much should be obvious" :)

http://wxrt.cbslocal.com/2015/07/17/we-want-people-to-hear-the-whole-record-first-jeff-tweedy-on-wilcos-surprise-new-album-plus-plans-for-tonights-pitchfork-set/

I don't get it, like for the encore?

Yes! I saw Pearl Jam do something similar when they promised to play every song that they rehearsed over 3 nights in 2003. The last night they came back to play One Note and most people didn't get the joke. I think that it was an actual error from an earlier show in the tour. 

Don't think anyone else posted this yet unless I missed it, but saw this interview Jeff did with Marty Lennartz of WXRT this morning.  Revelations: He says they are doing the whole album tonight at Pitchfork!  Also, the album name "Star Wars" is either after the 80s missile defense system or the name of the cat; "that much should be obvious" :)

http://wxrt.cbslocal.com/2015/07/17/we-want-people-to-hear-the-whole-record-first-jeff-tweedy-on-wilcos-surprise-new-album-plus-plans-for-tonights-pitchfork-set/

Oh man thats awesome