I feel a little bit of I Might in Random Name Generator, but it's way better than I Might.  They took some real chances here, and hit a home run. I'm floored. And excited. It's better than I could have hoped for, and the surprise free drop makes it even better. This thing kicks ass. It's weird as shit, which pleases me no end.  :stunned

Yes!

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Part of me wonders if they'll release another record this fall too, because they made it sound like they had a ton of material recorded.

Eventually I'll go to bed. One more spin.

Also, those background vocals on "magnetized" are making me swoony.

I've listened to this eight times on the trot now - maybe it's time to reign it in. That's the beauty of being over here in Australia, as the album landed just as I was logging on my work computer.

Part of me wonders if they'll release another record this fall too, because they made it sound like they had a ton of material recorded.

Certainly seems possible. Either that, or a knock-out EP later in the year.

The universe spoke to me tonight. First off, this summer has been amazing for me in terms of music. Solid Sound and U2 within 3 weeks. I was solemn all day because I saw the last U2 show in Boston on Wednesday night and I looked ahead to how dismal my summer would be. I made plans to do summery things. The first thing that I wanted to do was to go see a movie for the first time in a long time by my standards. I decided to go see Ant-Man tonight and as I'm walking in the Star Wars trailer is on and I'm psyched for Christmas now. There was a scene in the film where a character says the word disintegration and The Cure's album of the same name begins playing. Immediately I think of the email that I received from XRT about how they're playing with Wilco this weekend. The film ends and I head onto Facebook to see if any of my friends are discussing the post credits scene and I see that Wilco is trending which made me nervous. It all felt very surreal at that moment when I realized what was happening. I hopped onto here and saw 6 pages of people going nuts. The best that I could do in the meantime was listen to a YouTube stream on the ride home which shit the bed during the 4th song. I finally got home and downloaded the record and fell in love it with immediately. I even took it for a road spin late at night. Surprisingly, I'm not upset at all that this was even hinted at at Solid Sound. It made this perfect. Of course, I can reach here and also mention how weird it was to see U2 this week while Wilco played at Red Rocks on Tuesday night. Not to mention all of this feels really familiar to last September with the whole surprise/controversy of the free U2 album. It feels very bizarre to have 2 of my favorite bands release music this way. I kind of expected something like this with dBpm records. Please tell me that there's a Pitchfork stream? If not, I'll look for them on Periscope. 

Enjoy!

Hmm…there's a listing already on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_(album) 

It lists Jeff Tweedy & Tom Schick as producers. No idea who uploaded that info, as I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere. Same producers as The Whole Love sans Sansone. 

Thank you, Wilco! 

Wilco's Pitchfork set streams live at 8:30p.m. CST Friday at Pitchfork.com.

After Sky Blue Sky and Born Again I thought Wilco now settled and with every tool would do a Sonic Youth and release SYR type records like goodbye 20th century. Release an acoustic record a Jeff Tweedy solo record etc.

Wilco (the album) was a beautiful pastoral pop country rock record a solid B+ for me. The Whole Love was where I saw them finally veer into festival rock and baring One Sunday Morning was not interested (tho I was impressed as was Wire magazine interestingly enough) Still another B record but a record is an open wound you need something new to let it find its place it won't sustain and grow on its own if it's very understandable in one sitting.

Yet it had three years to live breathe and be performed on stages around the world.

This is a major difference between music and other mediums like film and painting where one can jump from one thing to another and have it be that thing. In music particularly "rock" a latest record or album begins to define a band/performer as a singular thing until the next thing arrives which may come years later. While someone like Jim Orourke can make squiggly sounds for 5 years then release a singer songwriter record out of the blue as he doesn't use his music for his own personal income Wilco has to oil the machine and tour each record.

With this record I believe they have realized a new power and freedom, it's a record worth making and something that's worth seeing live

I also think this is s big FU to the shadow of the great Wilco record that their audience casts over them anticipating each release with shrugged shoulders. What can you say to this? Don't think it's as good as Via Chicago? Well it's a completely different thing. Very bold as clearly they could have done this anytime instead of the last three "song" records. I won't be surprised to see more releases soon to finally blow the cap off their perfect didcorgraphy which was ruined for some people by two less interrsting records.

In other words this is The Departed.

It's a solid A record, something worth revisiting.

Anyone think the title is only for promotion?

Frankly, I've loved every Wilco album. And thank goodness that they are all unique. Star Wars is the next fantastic chapter. And it gets better with every listen.

I agree that Jeff's love for John Lennon's music shines through on Star Wars. And really there's not much better than that!

Wilco sounds perfect on this album!

Can anybody enlighten me about the newly acquired mixing board recently installed at the Loft? This is their first studio album since the Loft's upgrade, correct?

My favorite Star Wars songs initially...

You Satellite    (Satellite, interestingly enough is another Mopar model like the Nova ... :)  )

Pickled Ginger

King of You

Magnetized

So when I found out about this I was putting one of my kids to bed. She has me lay next to her for about 10 minutes as she falls asleep...As I'm laying there I find out about this. How do you keep your cool, trying to get a 6 year old to bed, and just wanting to run downstairs and crack open a beer and listen to a surprise Wilco release? I giggled when I saw the kitty on the front with the Star Wars title...but she didn't wake up. It was an awesome evening. After the kid(s) were asleep.

Pleasantly surprised it was on Spotify here. I'll buy the (I'm assuming) deluxe version when it comes out for sure but I'm glad I can listen to it now on Spotify now.

Same here. The only desktop I use is at my mother's house and I rarely make it over there. I have to use it to download Roadcase shows and it's a pain. So glad it's up on Spotify!

On listen number five, and I think it's safe to say Star Wars is the band's most challenging record since YHF/AGIB - and I mean challenging in the best possible way. It's gruff, rough around the edges, pretty inaccessible at times, and wholly masterful. 

I fear the critical shorthand for this record is going to be along the lines of "Wilco is back' - they never really left, folks - but Star Wars is a refreshing, complex turn for the band, especially at this stage in their career. I can't get over the urgency of it, how unfussy it feels, almost like these are demos - again, in the best way. 

Also, can we talk about sequencing for a moment? Just when you feel you can't really take another fuzzed, guitar freakout, they throw in something a bit more easy going, like Taste the Ceiling, A Joke Explained, or Magnetized. Brilliant progression. 

For me, the standouts thus far are: Random Name Generator, You Satellite, Taste the Ceiling, Where Do I Begin, and Magnetized. 

Tracks that are still giving me struggles: Pickled Ginger and King of You. 

Deep dream kitty print...

Oh, that is something else. First off, the cat looks more like a fox, and there appear to be various faces embedded in the fur. And those flowers don't exactly look like flowers.

I have not heard the album yet - I never received it last night. Since I saw this mentioned somewhere else - and it was my first thought - that title/album cover makes me think of Ryan Adams.

Oh, that is something else. First off, the cat looks more like a fox, and there appear to be various faces embedded in the fur. And those flowers don't exactly look like flowers.

It's really cool looking, but I wish it was bigger than 12" x 12".