• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just gave it my first full listen. Lots of fuzziness going on. It sounds great. Pickled Ginger is my frontrunner so far...which sounds a bit like Spoon. I was caught off guard when the 12th track started until I realized it was the first track of Eazy-Duz-It which, strangely, was the next album in queue in iTunes.

Lot's of Beatles/Lennon vibes going on for me.  

I thought the same thing! Half of these songs could be on The White Album, which coming from me is a huge compliment.

Favorites so far:

Taste The Ceiling

Pickled Ginger

Cold Slope

Magnetized

Touche!  Good call.

I thought the same thing! Half of these songs could be on The White Album, which coming from me is a huge compliment.

Favorites so far:

Taste The Ceiling

Pickled Ginger

Cold Slope

Magnetized

The White Album is specifically what came to mind for me - maybe a little Magical Mystery too - specificaly Magnetized (feels like some of the psychedelic vibe of Magical Mystery mixed with the psychedelic rootsiness of something like "I've Got A Feeling"  or "Dig A Pony" from Let It Be - which I guess technically came from the same-ish sessions as The White Album...)

Yep, so very Beatles-y, yet so distinctly Wilco.  This thing is brilliant, and at the risk of early burnout, I still can't stop listening. This must be at least Listen #10 and it just sounds better and better.

i've listened to the record 6 times now...think it;s time to call it a night. I'll have sweet Wilco dreams tonight.

Album is fantastic, and everything I wanted from a new album. Unique and adventurous. I knew these guys still had it in them.

Yep, so very Beatles-y, yet so distinctly Wilco.  This thing is brilliant, and at the risk of early burnout, I still can't stop listening. This must be at least Listen #10 and it just sounds better and better.

Number 3 here and I just got home at 7!

I think I'm gonna put track #1 on for when my husband walks in the door from work in about 3 minutes

Also, y'all are gonna think I'm full of shit, but this morning I said to my husband, "I bet the new record is really soon" because the email about the poster book said to keep our eyes and ears peeled.

Also, y'all are gonna think I'm full of shit, but this morning I said to my husband, "I bet the new record is really soon" because the email about the poster book said to keep our eyes and ears peeled.

I also took note of that line in the email, but never ever in my wildest dreams did I surmise a new album would drop today!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just one listen in for me, and that will probably be it because I'm fading quickly. My immediate impression is that this is a very solid album. Not a single-heavy record, but that's totally OK. It works better in its entirety. I really like it, I will probably like it more with additional listens, and I'm glad they chose to go in a different direction with their sound. And a huge "thank you" to the band for releasing this free and by surprise. What an unexpected treat!

The sequencing is killer on this record. All the odd numbered tracks seems to be the noisy, damaged songs and the even tracks are a little bit more pleasant and positive kind of tunes. I think that's part of why it plays through so seamlessly for me  :dj

EDIT: or maybe I just dig all the odd number tracks the most  :twitchsmile

It's weird they didn't try to time the release of this up with Solid Sound.

Might be tinfoil, but I think this was a purposeful decision to launch it right before Pitchfork Festival and build some non-hardcore buzz. Nothing wrong with that at all! Seems pretty clear to me, though.

Might be tinfoil, but I think this was a purposeful decision to launch it right before Pitchfork Festival and build some non-hardcore buzz. Nothing wrong with that at all! Seems pretty clear to me, though.

Good call! I didn't realize that was so soon.

I think from a marketing point of view this was very tactful. The timing and execution was absoutely perfect (purr-fect). From a hypothetical point of view the perception of this album (cat on cover, titled Star Wars) would have been completely different and potentially detrimental to its reception  when it eventually landed (i.e. a couple of months out). Potential singles or pre-release tracks wouldn't have helped matters either, as experiencing the album in its entirety is critical given its structure and tone.

Radiohead did the same thing in 2011 with The King Of Limbs - no fanfare, no pre-release, short duration.