This is really the first Wilco record since Nels joined the band where they didn't feel the need to pigeonhole him into the record.  And for that reason, it's really the best Wilco record since AGIB. 

I really get the feeling that a lot of these songs were written a while back.

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it looked familiar...that Deep Dream Kitty print on the pre-order store is one of these:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/googles-image-recognising-robots-turned-on-themselves-making-weird-dreams-that-could-show-why-humans-are-creative-10330996.html

Everything surrounding this record is super internet-y

The UPSEE shirt, I know it is a bar-coded cat's face, but if you look at the unmagnified image from afar, the bar code seems to read "DE AD."

Only weak link on this album is king of you, mostly because it doesn't seem to stand out due to it being somewhat of a continuation of the song before it. That's probably my only complaint at the moment

that's what i like about it: best segue they've done since Red Eyed and Blue> I Got You.  I think they've been listening to Parquet Courts, who use that trick several times on Light Up Gold.

LOVE this album.  I think it's their best since YHF.  To me WTA and TWL are great albums, they are not classics, and I tend not to go to them too often anymore.  this is one that I'll be going to for a long time.  I really like that it is all new- usually by the time the album comes out I'm familar with 3/4's of the material because they've been playing it live- so cool to have it all fresh.  Magnatize and Satelite are up there with the band's best material. 

The rockingest stuff on this reminds me of Let's Not Get Carried Away and Dark Neon, which I have filed on iTunes under Sky Blue Sky and Wilco The Album, respectively. Those also happen to be my favorite tunes from those eras. I mean, remember when SBS came out? By that point, when was the last time we heard Jeff scream in a song?

Nobody in their right mind is going to be calling Star Wars "dad rock," are they? I mean, most of it rocks pretty hard.

It must be taxing to have one's brain working so thoroughly and diligently on making connections to other artists' work and generating so many comparisons to previous Wilco output when listening to a new album.  I feel lucky that I'm so dense.  I'm the Forrest Gump of new Wilco albums.  

What? No coloured version?! The streak of non-coloured Wilco LPs continues. Too bad, my yellow/orange Sukierae looks amazing. At least we have the Speak Into Roses 10".

I will pre-order via Amazon.ca since Kung Fu is literally the worst to non-Americans.

Rhino, I've never noticed a sound difference in colour vs no colour. And if you want black there's always the black version available. Options for different folks is never a bad thing. :) 

Wow. LONG-time Wilco fan. I listened a few times without reading anybody else’s opinion. My first thoughts:

- FRESH! 

- LOOSE. Love the feel of it. Like they just let it fly.

- Sounds like a true band effort. Hard to say or know who had what input. Not one member stands out above the other from listening…I can’t tell who’s making what sounds most of the time. That said, Kotche’s drumming sounds rejuvenated somehow. As does Tweedy’s voice, both lyrically and sonically.

- It’s like the band decided “screw laboring over a record for forever, let’s go have fun and bang it out”. This isn’t the greatest analogy, but all I can think of right now….it’s like, in an alternate universe, if a band recorded an album that sounded like R.E.M.’s “Around The Sun”. Then a couple years later put out the an album that sounded like The Replacments “Hootenanny”.

- Selfishly, I’m a tad pissed I didn’t get to hear one of these songs in K.C. the other night. Beggars can’t be choosers. I love the new free download. But darn!

- Love the album title. There's a good chance Star Wars will be favorite movie AND album of 2015.

it’s like, in an alternate universe, if a band recorded an album that sounded like R.E.M.’s “Around The Sun”. Then a couple years later put out the an album that sounded like The Replacments “Hootenanny”.

Or if a band recorded an album that sounded like R.E.M.'s "Around The Sun" and then a couple years later put out an album that sounded like R.E.M.'s "Accelerate"...

Oh.  Wait a minute...