• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching on with horror from Australia. Hard times, yet really inspired by the demonstrated resistance. My thoughts and support are with my American friends and colleagues. Stay strong. x

Watching on with horror from Australia. Hard times, yet really inspired by the demonstrated resistance. My thoughts and support are with my American friends and colleagues. Stay strong. x

Thanks. We Americans are watching with horror too. 

I just essentially broke up with many of my extended family members in a group email. I don't have time and space in my life for Trump supporters anymore.

I am not speaking to any family members at all anymore.  My Mom became a fundamentalist evangelical Christian and my only sibling an ultra-orthodox Catholic about 30 years ago, so our relationship has been hanging by a thread for decades.

They all voted Trump and its the last straw for me.  There is nothing there worth salvaging or working for.

My family is now my wife, my stepboys and my friends whom I have always liked to call my chosen family.

I've never seen anything like this, obviously, and I can't fucking believe this is happening.

This article by Chris Hedges is mostly terrifying but there is a glimmer of a strategy for maintaining sanity.  We must form communities with people who want to fight fascism and protect democracy and human rights and not isolate ourselves.  I think i need to go surfing more!

"To recover our mental balance we must respond to Trump the way victims of trauma respond to abuse. We must build communities where we can find understanding and solidarity. We must allow ourselves to mourn. We must name the psychosis that afflicts us. We must carry out acts of civil disobedience and steadfast defiance to re-empower others and ourselves. We must fend off the madness and engage in dialogues based on truth, literacy, empathy and reality. We must invest more time in activities such as finding solace in nature, or focusing on music, theater, literature, art and even worship—activities that hold the capacity for renewal and transcendence. This is the only way we will remain psychologically whole. Building an outer shell or attempting to hide will exacerbate our psychological distress and depression. We may not win, but we will have, if we create small, like-minded cells of defiance, the capacity not to go insane."

http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/american_psychosis_20170129

“What happened if we didn’t act and someone was killed?” Spicer asked the hosts of MSNBC’s “Morning Joe.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/sean-spicer-san-bernardino_us_588f3d65e4b08a14f7e6f416?

I have heard the same argument from gun control advocates.  

More people die from armed toddlers than terror attacks.

More people die from armed toddlers than terror attacks.

It seems like many things that conservatives are passionately for (Muslim Ban, voter suppression) have constantly been proven to be statistically unlikely.  Whereas things they are passionately against (climate change) have been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt.  

It is clear the Republican party does not see reason or fact and are willing to push their agenda, regardless of any evidence to the contrary.  .  

And I like to say this just as a reminder every once and awhile.  Let us never forget, the leader of the Republican Party, our President, is a Racist, Misogynist, Xenophobe, who has regularly pushed policies that are in direct contradiction to our constitution.   

Columbia yearbook:

16388286_10158166299390313_9085715009766

I feel like all my language skills have lately been reduced to an outraged, sputtering, WHAT. THE. FUCK.

A third grader could have written a more meaningful speech. He turns every single thing into an opportunity to praise himself. My hatred knows no bounds.

It seems like many things that conservatives are passionately for (Muslim Ban, voter suppression) have constantly been proven to be statistically unlikely.  Whereas things they are passionately against (climate change) have been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt.  

It is clear the Republican party does not see reason or fact and are willing to push their agenda, regardless of any evidence to the contrary.  .  

And I like to say this just as a reminder every once and awhile.  Let us never forget, the leader of the Republican Party, our President, is a Racist, Misogynist, Xenophobe, who has regularly pushed policies that are in direct contradiction to our constitution.   

Not a day goes by that I don't wonder if I'm part of the deluded group. It's nuts out there. Comments like this really bring me back to reality. Thanks!

Very good point about the Right being against anything that is an actual threat. It's classic projection. Bring up racism and BAM, it's the Left and the Blacks who are racist. 

It's official hitting home on our turf as revelations emerge about the conversation Trump had with our PM, Malcolm Turnbull earlier this week:

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/feb/02/trump-told-turnbull-refugee-agreement-was-the-worst-deal-ever-report

Predictably (and contradicting Spicer assurance that it's still on) Trump's now tweeted about this "dumb deal."

Turnbull's currently in parliament trying to convince everyone the deal's still happening. FYI: this is likely the worst prime minister we've ever had (worse than the predecessor, Tony Abbot) - beholden to the conservative/right-wing factions of his party, spineless, lacking any judgement and painfully out of touch with the community. He's had a shocking start to the year and by all accounts this is a guy desperately trying to hang on to his position. FYI #2: Australia hasn't had a Prime Minister hold a full term in office since 2007.  

This is amazing on two fronts. This wasn't a law until the Obama administration made it one?

And, this should be proof enough that Congress doesn't have our best interests at heart. Industry and Commerce are priorities. Clearly. 

This is amazing on two fronts. This wasn't a law until the Obama administration made it one?

And, this should be proof enough that Congress doesn't have our best interests at heart. Industry and Commerce are priorities. Clearly. 

But there is this:

"Make no mistake about it, this Obama administration rule is not designed to protect streams. Instead, it was an effort to regulate the coal mining industry right out of business," said Rep. Bill Johnson, R-Ohio, who sponsored the disapproval measure on the stream protection rule.

We need to continue to burn our pressurized dinosaur bones!