• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This whole deal gets weirder by the day and the ridiculousness of it all is becoming standard, which is the  scariest part.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/07/politics/kfile-gorka-on-fake-news/index.html

So the chief reason that it is fake news because the incorrectly predicted Brexit and a Trump win?  And this than negates everything else they have said or will say?  

Jesus.  

The Trump Administration is more like a cult every day.   

So the chief reason that it is fake news because the incorrectly predicted Brexit and a Trump win?  And this than negates everything else they have said or will say?  

Jesus.  

This is hyperbole, but we should be skeptical of a very insular media that has done a very shitty job understanding, reporting, and taking seriously the power of the large number of people who saw Trump as a feasible president. The should be held accountable and a healthy dose of skepticism is always a good thing.

In my unprofessional opinion the blind spot on the polls was voter turnout. Sure the wide majority of voters thought that Trump was unqualified, but not enough of them participated. It wasn't fake news, the data was pretty good. It was the spirit of the thing that they misread.

This is hyperbole...

What is? My statement? The statement by the administration? Your statement?

If anything the incorrect polls helped Trump. It kept many away from voting or voting for a third party instead of Clinton.

The media has to look at what went wrong and how to fix their polling data. But to use the polling as the reason the news is now fake is stupid and does nothing more to increase the US against them mentality of this administration.

Gotta say I'm surprised no Democrats flipped and voted for Devos.  They usually cave.  At least that's a win of some sort.

She wasn't so much confirmed as she was given a receipt for her purchase.

What I can't understand is, why Republicans hate public education so much. Is it the fact that it is taxes? Is it unions? Is it the fact they teach science and facts?

Think about things that the very wealthy don't personally use and you'll have a list of some of their targets. For the most part the wealthy tend to send their kids to private schools, but they pay for both public schools through their taxes and for private school via tuition. If they can get the government to give them back their hard earned cash to use for private school tuition then that's great. It's been part of their rhetoric for years.

What I can't understand is, why Republicans hate public education so much.  Is it the fact that it is taxes?  Is it unions? Is it the fact they teach science and facts? 

Because they believe that the private sector can come up with a better outcomes and that government influence, if any, should occur at the local level and not originating from DC.  That's Republicanism 101, and to be fair is not necessarily a bad belief system to have.  The problem is that philosophy only works w/rt education in affluent communities and doesn't scale for the nation as a whole.

Because they believe that the private sector can come up with a better outcomes and that government influence, if any, should occur at the local level and not originating from DC.  That's Republicanism 101, and to be fair is not necessarily a bad belief system to have.  The problem is that philosophy only works w/rt education in affluent communities and doesn't scale for the nation as a whole.

And states that are already below the national standards will slip further down the hole. So, again, it works well when/where there is adequate finances to support education, and fails where there isn't.

And states that are already below the national standards will slip further down the hole. So, again, it works well when/where there is adequate finances to support education, and fails where there isn't.

I guess with no immigrants to pick our vegetables, clean our houses and watch our children, some one has got to pick up the slack.  Highly educated aren't gonna do that.  

Because they believe that the private sector can come up with a better outcomes and that government influence, if any, should occur at the local level and not originating from DC. That's Republicanism 101, and to be fair is not necessarily a bad belief system to have. The problem is that philosophy only works w/rt education in affluent communities and doesn't scale for the nation as a whole.

Local control is often for the better, although sometimes it's a Trojan horse for cutting federal funding for programs.

I have a more negative response to the rampant idea that public things should be run like businesses. When a business goes down the owners and investors stand to lose, but they chose it. When a public institution goes down people who rely on it get screwed.

This doesn't begin to examine the differences in what the measures of success are for each.

I have a more negative response to the rampant idea that public things should be run like businesses. When a business goes down the owners and investors stand to lose, but they chose it. When a public institution goes down people who rely on it get screwed.

Good point. I never hear it put that way.