Solid Sound 2019

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to give up my SS Trip next year due to a recently announced wedding.  I have a 3-night reservation at Whitcomb Summit Retreat.

It's 9 miles from the venue and all in cost was $430.  Message me if interested and I'll confirm that we can transfer the reservation.

Thanks,

Dave

• 5 weeks later...

Is it safe to assume that we can just buy an Early Bird Pass without any sort of Promo Code etc?

The link looks like it's asking for one.

I don't remember how it went down last time, since it was 2 years ago.

Yeah, those tickets totally went up early. Friend of the Fest was already gone at 9:59 when I tried. Oh well, guess I'm just a regular schmo as always. The pop-up part of the VIP sounds interesting, but I'm sure a lot of folks were drawn by the promise of some sort of semi-private bathrooms, to be honest.

Funny, I always thought the ethos of Solid Sound was that there wasn't supposed to be a VIP tier. Guess it was inevitable, though.

Oh well, guess I'm just a regular schmo as always

Fear not! All you need do is wear a small hat adorned with an “I am Bbop” badge and you will be hoisted aloft by the masses and transported shoulder high wherever you desire. Indoors, where height restrictions might apply, rose petals would be scattered in front of your path. You would never need to buy a drink all weekend, and any bathroom would be made available for your personal use. During encores the assembled throng will chant your name to the rhythm of your swaying arm. Such is your high regard amongst the faithful.

All this you would then summarise in a daily decription of your awesomeness.

Fear not! All you need do is wear a small hat adorned with an “I am Bbop” badge and you will be hoisted aloft by the masses and transported shoulder high wherever you desire. Indoors, where height restrictions might apply, rose petals would be scattered in front of your path. You would never need to buy a drink all weekend, and any bathroom would be made available for your personal use. During encores the assembled throng will chant your name to the rhythm of your swaying arm. Such is your high regard amongst the faithful.

Ha! I appreciate the sentiment, Herr Tatlock. Truth is, I'd rather be a regular schmo (but an occasional cut in the line for the loo when the situation is dire would be nice)... B)

Yeah, those tickets totally went up early. Friend of the Fest was already gone at 9:59 when I tried. Oh well, guess I'm just a regular schmo as always. The pop-up part of the VIP sounds interesting, but I'm sure a lot of folks were drawn by the promise of some sort of semi-private bathrooms, to be honest.

Funny, I always thought the ethos of Solid Sound was that there wasn't supposed to be a VIP tier. Guess it was inevitable, though.

The VIP and housing specials raised money for charity -- the FotF tickets for the school, if I understand correctly.

Yeah, when I got a break from work to load things up at 9:58, I was pretty surprised that Friend of the Fest passes were already gone 2 minutes before “on sale” time. It feels a little wrong that someone who has been to every SSF didn’t get a chance to be a “friend” of the festival!

The VIP and housing specials raised money for charity -- the FotF tickets for the school, if I understand correctly.

If so, that's great. I know they've done various charitable things in the past as well, like special dinners or whatnot. But I don't recall those being sold along with the regular tickets before.

Anyway, I guess my point is that if Solid Sound is (or was) supposed to have an "anti-festival" ethos — that is, not having stuff like VIP tiers and such — then I hope this isn't a step in that direction. I mean I can't see them ever adding an exclusive VIP pit in front of the stage or anything like that, but you know, I'm just hoping it isn't trending that way. But I've seen it happen before with other festivals of this ilk, especially when your fanbase starts to get older and have more disposable income that they're willing to part with for more "perks." The charitable aspect absolves them from any feelings of ickiness, I guess, but it is something to thing about.

Yeah, when I got a break from work to load things up at 9:58, I was pretty surprised that Friend of the Fest passes were already gone 2 minutes before “on sale” time. It feels a little wrong that someone who has been to every SSF didn’t get a chance to be a “friend” of the festival! Gotta say there was a time in my life when it would have been feasible to block off half an hour to continuously refresh just in case this happened, though. So in that sense I guess I could have done better at trying!

I didn't go that route, but started checking every few minutes about 10 before the hour, while I was clearing work emails. It was actually a few minutes after the hour that I got through and bought what I wanted. As an older fan, I appreciate there being some options -- call it VIP if you will -- but simply opening the event to a broader range of audience, especially as the band begins to age as well. Not talking walkers, but, just as it has always been billed as a "family-friendly" event, hopefully that includes dad rockers, and, eventually granddad rockers.

To be fair, I've spent quite a bit of time with him and this is a pretty typical day...

Early bird tickets appear to be gone. That was pretty quick? When will the line-up likely be announced? Early next year?

Very quick compared to past Solid Sounds. I seem to remember February as the month that the line-ups are generally announced, with the three-day schedule out in April/early May.