Solid Sound 2019

I've been to the last three Solid Sounds and this feels right in line with previous years, in terms of quality of lineup. Jeff and co. do such a good job of currently relevant, historical classics and new/lesser known acts. I'd love to go again, but I'm likely going to sit this one out and look to return in 2021. For those who may be going for the first time, it's an incredible experience across the board: music, people, comedy, art, community. I've been to a fair amount of festivals and Solid Sound is far-and-away the best.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't Scott play with Jeff during his solo set in 2010? Family Gardener maybe? Would love for a Jeff/Scott Dear Employer.

And there's the Minus 5 "Down with Wilco" album released in 2003 which was basically a collaboration between McCaughey and Wilco with contributions from Peter Buck and Ken Stringfellow (of the Posies), and others.

Very happy with the bill. No complaints whatsoever.

I am interested in seeing most of the acts; several have been artists that I have almost pulled the trigger on seeing (Courtney Barnett, Jonathan Richman, The Feelies), and a few are new to me and sound good on a first listen (Wand, Foxwarren, etc.).

The Minus 5 = gravy.

I'm strongly considering taking the plunge for my first Solid Sound. Are there still places to stay that don't cost a fortune (other than camping)?

Good luck...worst part about Solid Sound is the cost of accommodations in the area during the festival (if you can find a room).  It's ridiculous how much the flea bag motels charge per night. Especially for a Canadian at a time when the dollar is so weak vs the US dollar.   I guess camping is a good option if you want to save money and don't mind  not having a shower for a few days.  Having said that, the actual festival is fantastic.

Yeah I booked my AirBnb as soon as the dates were announced, which I believe was more than a year in advance. The AirBnb host came back and upped his rates once he realized that was Solid Sound weekend. 

Good luck...worst part about Solid Sound is the cost of accommodations in the area during the festival (if you can find a room).  It's ridiculous how much the flea bag motels charge per night. Especially for a Canadian at a time when the dollar is so weak vs the US dollar.   I guess camping is a good option if you want to save money and don't mind  not having a shower for a few days.  Having said that, the actual festival is fantastic.

Yikes. I was afraid of that. I might have to wait and plan ahead for 2021. Thanks for the advice.

And there's the Minus 5 "Down with Wilco" album released in 2003 which was basically a collaboration between McCaughey and Wilco with contributions from Peter Buck and Ken Stringfellow (of the Posies), and others.

"Down with Wilco" might be the most underrated record across everything that Jeff has touched. This record is VERY good.

Yikes. I was afraid of that. I might have to wait and plan ahead for 2021. Thanks for the advice.

If you don't mind driving a bit, there are still a few decent looking Airbnb's available near Bennington and lots of hotels down toward Lenox and Pittsfield.  Honestly, there is virtually no traffic and the scenery is lovely - 25 miles is easy.   

If you don't mind driving a bit, there are still a few decent looking Airbnb's available near Bennington and lots of hotels down toward Lenox and Pittsfield.  Honestly, there is virtually no traffic and the scenery is lovely - 25 miles is easy.   

Agreed. We used to stay at a motel on Route 7, just north of Williamstown, just before the Vermont line. The $ just did not justify it by 2015, so in 2017 we rented a house near Pittsfield, 22 miles away. No regrets - doing it again in June.

Agreed. We used to stay at a motel on Route 7, just north of Williamstown, just before the Vermont line. The $ just did not justify it by 2015, so in 2017 we rented a house near Pittsfield, 22 miles away. No regrets - doing it again in June.

Same except just over the state line in Vermont. And I'm doing the same this year.  I'm staying at the Ladd Brook.  It's not the best but the price is reasonable compared to others in the area. I booked through booking.com 

I'm staying at the Ladd Brook.  It's not the best but the price is reasonable compared to others in the area. I booked through booking.com The Villager Motel appears to be similar.  It's just north of Williamstown too...but on the Mass side of the state line.

Same except just over the state line in Vermont. And I'm doing the same this year.  I'm staying at the Ladd Brook.  It's not the best but the price is reasonable compared to others in the area. I booked through booking.com 

I'm staying at the Ladd Brook.  It's not the best but the price is reasonable compared to others in the area. I booked through booking.com The Villager Motel appears to be similar.  It's just north of Williamstown too...but on the Mass side of the state line.

Looks like the Ladd Brook is booked up now. 

I stayed in a motel about 25 miles away last time I went. It was fine, but somewhat irksome to have to drive late at night on pretty basic roads for 40-45 mins. So this time I am staying in town at college dorms. Overpriced, but a 15 min walk from the action apparently. I think they are sold out, but maybe they get cancellations.

• 1 month later...

I have 1 room, 2 beds at MCLA housing that I am looking to sell for face: $419.85 total. I'm not sure what the process is for transferring names on these rooms, I'm waiting to hear back from MCLA, fyi. Feel free to DM me any questions.

Hi all -

I haven't been to SS before, but now that the three day tix are sold out - does anyone know if they are transferable ?  I wasn't sure if the ticket takes the form of a bracelet or something other than a ticket.  Thanks !

Hi all -

I haven't been to SS before, but now that the three day tix are sold out - does anyone know if they are transferable ?  I wasn't sure if the ticket takes the form of a bracelet or something other than a ticket.  Thanks !

Tickets are transferrable. You get a paper ticket which, upon arriving at the festival, they swap for a bracelet. That's for a 3-day pass, I'm not sure if they handle single-day tickets differently. 

• 2 weeks later...