Solid Sound May 27-29 2022

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I haven’t posted in over a year and a half, but I have a Wilco Holiday Spirit anecdote to foist, I mean share. We have always wanted to go to Solid Sound, but, being teachers, June is when we go on ou

The beef jerky is done. I've sampled it enough to confidently say, this is an excellent batch. In fact I sampled it enough that I made myself pack it up and put it in the freezer so I wouldn't sample

Lighting out shortly for Brooklyn, and in the morning North Adams. Can’t Wait. It’s been a minute since I last pointed the car towards WesternMass.    Safe travels to all my fellow fans.  See

Posted Images

I haven’t posted in over a year and a half, but I have a Wilco Holiday Spirit anecdote to foist, I mean share. We have always wanted to go to Solid Sound, but, being teachers, June is when we go on our yearly travels. As much as we love Wilco, we can’t afford 2 major trips. Our oldest daughter has some serious health issues and our son-in-law has been working/living several hours away all year, only coming home about one weekend a month. We have been getting her to appointments, staying with her in hospital, staying with the grandkids, etc. Things family does. During Christmas Eve festivities, our son-in-law handed us a gift bag, and said ‘’Thank you for taking care of my family while I haven’t been able’’. What is inside? 3 day Solid Sound passes, airline tickets to Albany, and an Airbnb in Whitingham. We were overwhelmed. 

A special end to a special, but challenging (see above) year. My wife and I are retiring (36 years for me, 30 for her), we are moving to WA in June, our oldest granddaughter and her husband made us great grandparents on October 6th, and it ends with Solid Sound! Plus, our last day of work was May 27th, but now, thanks to the thoughtful gift, it’s the 25! Whoot! 

Announce the lineup already!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Just saw that Japanese Breakfast is playing Boston Calling on Sunday, May 19th, which keeps my posted hope alive that they will be playing Solid Sound earlier that weekend (they have another New England date before SS).  Solid Sound's social media account has been teasing the lineup announcement with their alumni posts, so we must be getting close. Also possible that I missed an announcement of the announcement, or an announcement of the announcement of the announcement.

Not that there's a contractual or logistical reason for this, but I wonder if they're waiting for SBS to wrap before they reveal the lineup for SS22.

• Like 1

Woohoo, hopeful hunch confirmed! Thanks for the scoop, @dagwave! Excited to see Michelle Z and company bring their magic to Joe's Field. And Bonnie "Prince" Billy, too! I've seen him 3 times and each time has been captivating. And Sun Ra Arkestra! The whole lineup looks stellar. Counting down!

• Like 2

I honestly don't know most of the acts, but that's far from a bad thing. The big one I was hoping for is Japanese Breakfast. So excited to finally see her. And I'm planning to arrive a few days early or stay a few days after the festival to explore the area. And perhaps I'm most excited to see familiar faces again! 

• Like 1

I was lucky to catch JB's tour opener last summer in Silver Spring and have been so eager to see them again. They give an electrifying, generous, inspiring performance. And based on the Wilco-JB mutual admiration, and Michelle's appearance with Wilco at their ACL celebration, it seems likely that they'll share the stage for a song or two at some point over the weekend, if schedules allow.

I love Solid Sound's reliable mixture of bands I know and love and ones that I'm encountering for the first time. I wonder what fresh spin they'll put on the Friday night show? Though just to have the festival back will be fresh spin enough. . . 

• Like 1

Looking forward to the festival, this will be our fifth one.  Spent the afternoon texting with family and friends, who are also attending, how we are all pretty disappointed with the lineup.  At least Wilco is playing and we can take our time inside the museum.  Any thoughts on what they might do on Friday night?  

• Like 1

I'm really happy with this lineup. A terrific mixed bag of new and unfamiliar acts with tried & true & trusted ones that I'll love to see again. Styles ranging all over the map, with something to please everyone. Lucky #7 is going to be charmed. :banana

Looking forward to Cut Worms, JB, Hand Habits, so many others!

• Like 2
On 1/25/2022 at 11:25 PM, kidsmoke said:

I'm really happy with this lineup. A terrific mixed bag of new and unfamiliar acts with tried & true & trusted ones that I'll love to see again. Styles ranging all over the map, with something to please everyone. Lucky #7 is going to be charmed. :banana

Looking forward to Cut Worms, JB, Hand Habits, so many others!

D - listen to the Le Ren album from last year. Turns out I've met her and she played my house with Tim Baker/Daniel Romano a little while ago: 

She played a great set. Tweedy put her on one of his Covid playlists , and I then I realized the album 'Leftovers' was on Secretly Canadian - so dived right in. It is uniformly excellent

IMG_0676 (1).JPG

IMG_0687 (1).JPG

• Thanks 1
On 1/26/2022 at 11:22 AM, chisoxjtrain said:

I'm just excited to go and do something, even if part of it is watching my wife swoon over Nick Offerman.

Nick is SUCH a nice guy... and incredibly silly.

On 1/27/2022 at 7:45 PM, Broken Foot said:

To those who are excited about this line up.  Please make some recommendations that we can listen to.  We have been listening through many of the bands, but nothing is really standing out.  

Eleventh Dream Day - if the jagged tone of Neil's Old Black excites you, i think you would like this band. track to check out:

i don't know Cut Worms all that well but if you like breezy 70s country rock you will likely find it appealing

Iceage started out pretty punkrock (first gig i saw, the singer intentionally hit me in the head w/ his guitar neck) but they have morphed into a pretty good facsimile of The Saints (Aussie band)... 

i can only embed 4 vids so here's the last... Mike Watt is one an american hero, one of the nicest and most genuine people i've had the pleasure to meet. I haven't kept up w/ his solo work to the extent i know his work w/ Minutemen and fIREHOSE but live he's always a treat.

for jazz stuff, Marshall Allen is the last survivor of the legendary Sun Ra Arkestra and it's essential stuff. Check out Space Is The Place, a great film from Sun Ra. And Angel Bat Dawid takes the jazz mantle from the 60s and plays a free, joyous, communal performance. i saw her at Woodsist and her energy and positive outlook was contagious.

hope that helps!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 1/25/2022 at 6:31 PM, Broken Foot said:

Any thoughts on what they might do on Friday night?  

One thing they haven't done yet is play a set of all new music. Yes, there've been a couple years where they played a couple new songs, but it would be phenomenal to hear an album's worth of new songs for the first time. Star Wars would have been the perfect opportunity and the perfect album for that. Ode To Joy would not have been a good one to play in full at SS; hopefully they've got something more like Whole Love/SW planned for the next release and maybe debut at SS.

A fun thing they could do, is select a fan to curate a setlist. Maybe a contest where you submit your setlist and a random one is chosen for the winner. Stealing this idea from Pearl Jam who, in 2012, went into their fan club archive and found the longest active member and let him pick the setlist for one show. That may not be as exciting as the covers show, or hearing BT/YHF back to back, but I'm not sure what else they could do. I would not want Wilco to do a full cover album, like Phish does/did at Halloween, as I'm certain they'd pick something that would not be up my alley.

I don't know any of the bands on this lineup. With the announcement that Jeff was going to join Golden Smog for a couple shows this spring, I got my hopes up that we'd see a "Solid Smog" set. So, I was disappointed to see that they are not on the roster. That they've not yet been there once is a big head-scratcher to me.

Still it is great to return to a favorite place and see a favorite band and reconnect with friends. The other bands are a bonus. Each year I've left SS being a new fan of at least one of the support bands. 2019 was pretty good, with Ohmme and Mdou Moctar being the standout bands for me.

On 1/27/2022 at 7:45 PM, Broken Foot said:

To those who are excited about this line up.  Please make some recommendations that we can listen to.  We have been listening through many of the bands, but nothing is really standing out.  

I'm a regular booster for Japanese Breakfast on this board, and Jubilee is one of my favorite albums of the past couple years. Michelle Zauner has talked about the influence of SummerTeeth in particular on the sound of that record and on her life -- she walked down the aisle to She's a Jar of all songs. Jeff covered the song Kokomo, IN on a Tweedy Show ep. Here's the original:

While it's hard to isolate a highlight or two from an album I love from start to finish, Be Sweet offers a rollicking bass line and a funky counterpoint to the more contemplative sound of Kokomo, IN:

I've seen Will Oldham (Bonnie 'Prince' Billy) three times and each show has been a powerful, strange, enlightening experience. I love this version of Horses, which is one of WO's guises "covering" a song by another, as featured on the album Greatest Palace Music. Johnny Cash covered "I See a Darkness" for American III. WO told a funny story about being invited to play piano (IIRC it was piano) on the recording and eagerly agreeing, then having to admit that he didn't know how to play piano. But he still got to join in the performance. On a personal note, WO once signed a book of lyrics for a friend of mine who was undergoing a very serious health crisis. He wrote a simple and lovely inscription the centerpiece of which was "wish you were here" and it meant a great deal to my friend and to me. The song "New Partner" is another favorite of mine. But there are so many treasures: "Minor Place," "West Palm Beach," I could go on and on.

I didn't know Le Ren before the lineup was announced but I love the soulful lilt of this song and its evocation of boundless mother-daughter love:

Here's a bit more about that song:

https://www.stereogum.com/2157067/le-ren-dyan/music/

Also very excited to see Sun Ra Arkestra directed by Marhall Allen, who at 97-years-old keeps the cosmic flame of experimental jazz burning brightly!

https://www.npr.org/2020/10/30/929182429/on-swirling-marshall-allen-keeps-the-the-sun-ra-arkestra-soaring-through-space

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

So I'm beginning to think toward ssf7, and decided to do a bit of organizing of my travel gear. It's obvious I've been to all 6 previous ssf's because I have literally 8 rain ponchos, a couple of scotchguarded hats, and a plastic zippered bag to contain my backpack in a deluge. 

I'm prepped! :rockIf anybody needs a poncho at #7, just give a holler. I'll pack a spare.

Let's go, rain! :P

• Haha 1