The Tweedy Show Friday April 10 Episode 21

# I Want You Back (The Jackson 5 song on the Tweedy’s jukebox)

— “I met Kermit the frog one time.”

— Jeff talks about the Wilco question that was on today’s Jeopardy episode

— “are those guys roasting marshmallows on your shirt?” Susie asks Jeff about his shirt which is campfire themed

One & A Half Stars

— “what’s the meaning of that song?” Jeff says that some songs are best left open to interpretation.

— “what’s the 1st Wilco song?” Jeff says that it’s I Must Be High and that it was done the very 1st take.

— “I talked to Jack McBrayer today” Jeff very briefly mentions The Second City stream that he will be on.

Donald And Lydia (John Prine cover)

— “everyone in the Wilco camp is doing ok, but there is some sad news.” Jeff is hesitant to mention details, but he does mention it in the episode.

— “is the Sleater Kinney tour still on?” Susie asks Jeff to which he replies “as of right now...yes.”

— “why did Mikael go live during the end of last’s night show?” Jeff mentions that they’re electronically sending music to work on for some new Wilco. He said that this news should excite the fans except for the college students on Jeopardy.

Theologians

— Susie deals with a few haters in the comments

— Susie talks about saving Spencer’s life

— Spencer explains “the Karen” haircut to Susie

— “is I Might about setting Spencer on fire?”

I Might (w Spencer on knee slaps)

— Sammy talks about what was on his pizza that was delivered

Military Madness (Graham Nash cover sung by Sammy w Spencer on guitar)

What Light (played for someone that just lost their mother)

Be Not So Fearful (Bill Fay cover)

Reincarnation (Roger Miller cover w Spencer on drums. Song gets cut off early as live stream ends)

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Friends - I have finally updated the Tweedy Show mp3 archive (over 2,000 song files). All files have been meticulously logged and tagged so they can be easily filtered, searched, and sorted - in iT

I appreciate the accolades, but seriously, all the real credit goes to @u2roolz. The two or three times I filled in for him really showed me how truly dedicated he’s been to this project. It’s fairly

The Tweedy Show Monday December 26 Episode 217 —Sammy welcomes the clients to The Tweedy Show.  —Susie is upset that she sees her reflection in the tv.  —“Hi, everyone! We forgot how to

Posted Images

# I Want You Back (The Jackson 5 song on the Tweedy’s jukebox)

— “I met Kermit the frog one time.”

— Jeff talks about the Wilco question that was on today’s Jeopardy episode

Military Madness (Graham Nash cover sung by Sammy w Spencer on guitar)

What Light (played for someone that just lost their mother)

Be Not So Fearful (Bill Fay cover)

Reincarnation (Roger Miller cover w Spencer on drums. Song gets cut off early as live stream ends)

I’ve only dropped in on a couple of these during the actual broadcasts—still catching up on the old ones via YouTube—so I was tickled to get a response to my Basil/Jeopardy comment. Very moving show, with a nice quantity of Tweedy musical goodness during the final minutes!

The Tweedy Show Saturday April 11 Episode 22

# I Heard It Through The Grapevine (Marvin Gaye song on the Tweedy’s jukebox)

Helpless (Neil Young cover sung by Sammy w Jeff on backing vocals)

— “Neil sang that earlier this evening? Was there a Farm Aid tonight?” {I guess there was a live stream for Farm Aid earlier in the evening}

— Susie figures out how to get Liam Kazar to join in

— Liam Kazar joins in (Liam’s image is frozen, but you can hear him.)

— Jeff gets Liam on FaceTime & Jeff points his phone in a way where you can see Susie for a lil bit. He quickly changes his position

Sweet Revenge (John Prine cover sung by Liam Kazar via Jeff’s phone)

— “who is Liam?” Susie explains who Liam is

Country Disappeared

— Jeff talks about the guitar that he’s playing on. It’s named Molly

— “are you gonna reschedule Live From Here?” Susie asks Jeff to which he quickly replies “I haven’t heard.”

Box Full Of Letters

— Jeff talks about the 1st time going to play on XRT w Susie where he sang “box full of lecords”

— Jeff & Susie argue about the opening to the Carol Burnett Show

— Jeff talks about seeing Al Green w Susie

I Am Trying To Break Your Heart

— Jeff jokes about stripping down naked because Susie mentioned that you’ll never get these extremely close & intimate camera shots at a live show

— “is Jeff circumcised?”

— “every time Jeff coughs I think he’s starting Red-Eyed And Blue.”

— Jeff strums a bit of Message To Mid Bar

— “are Jeff & Susie swingers?”

Message From Mid Bar (aborted halfway. He did mention that he needs to look at the lyrics for that one.)

Muzzle Of Bees

— “someone’s son got circumcised to that song.”

Reincarnation (Roger Miller cover)

— Jeff jokes that Susie holding out the phone on a selfie stick facing him is like looking at a “selfie rifle”

— “everyone in the Wilco camp is doing ok, but there is some sad news.” Jeff is hesitant to mention details, but he does mention it in the episode.

I don't think this is speaking out of turn but John posted on Instagram that his father passed away.  He wrote:

"Thoughts about our Dad, Avery Stirratt III, who passed peacefully Friday the 10th from cancer. A dedicated family man, and source of stability and unwavering optimism for his family and friends. Lifelong New Orleanian, he and my mother busting their humps with 5 kids, and after losing her in 92, jumping back into music and the instrument, and for the next 29 years playing weekly with his NO banjos +2, up until his last show March 8th. Their weekly shows at usually restaurant venues, were a colorful mix of friends and NO cutups vying for the coveted vocal spot, a kind of Dixieland Karaoke. My sister Laurie and I could never ask for a bigger supporter for our musical careers, never heavy on advice, just providing that quiet affirmation of presence and enjoyment. Solid Sound(s), Hollywood Bowl, of course New Orleans and Chicago gigs over the years, and just last fall, pulling an 8 hour NO-Nashville drive the evening before our Opryland gig only to check in to the hotel, and walk straight to the venue to check out the Opry review, all at 88. Could not ask for a better supporter, father and confidante. Rest easy."

The Tweedy Show Sunday April 12 Episode 23

# To Sir With Love (Lulu song on the Tweedy's jukebox)

-- Jeff picks up Basil and has him in his arms

-- Easter eggs are shown

-- Susie mentions that she wasn't supposed to show her face at the end of last night's show. She's not sure how that happened.

-- Jeff strums Deeper Down while Susie reads comments

Deeper Down

-- "what album is that on?" Jeff asks Susie in a multiple choice format w Radiohead's Kid A thrown in.

Spanish Pipe Dream (John Prine cover w Spencer on drums)

-- Sammy joins the show

Close My Eyes (Arthur Russell cover sung by Sammy)

-- Jeff tells story about being kicked out of French class

The Ruling Class (Loose Fur cover w Spencer on knee slaps)

-- Susie asks Jeff if he hates that song based off one of the comments. He says "no. That's Wishful Thinking." {not sure if he was kidding with that response}

-- Jeff mentions that he submitted The Ruling Class with different lyrics to be the theme song for King Of The Hill

-- Jeff strums a bit of Just Say Goodbye & says that he's going to have to learn the lyrics

Simple Twist Of Fate (Bob Dylan cover w Spencer on drums)

Motion Pictures (Neil Young cover sung by Sammy)

-- Jeff strums a bit of Led Zeppelin's Immigrant Song w Spencer joining in on drums & Sammy singing. Aborted after a couple of verses

-- Jeff strums Neil Young's Cinnamon Girl w Spencer on drums & Sammy singing. Aborted about halfway through

Laminted Cat (Loose Fur cover. Performed like they did it in 2019)

Reincarnation (Roger Miller cover. Aborted after a few verses)

The Tweedy Show Monday April 13 Episode 24 (TAKE 1)

-- accidental Susie cameo w "selfie rifle"/"turn it off, Spencer!"

# Revolution (The Beatles song on the Tweedy's jukebox)

-- Susie & Jeff talk about the "accidental cameo"

_____Take 1 ends at 6 minutes in______

(TAKE TWO)

# Revolution (The Beatles song on the Tweedy's jukebox)

-- Susie explains why they restarted the episode

-- "Jackfruit Brisket" - Jeff

-- Spencer tells a story about editing a video for school

Some Birds (w Spencer on drums)

-- "people thought that you were struggling to get off the couch." Susie to Jeff

-- "i look like a golf ball on a tee." Jeff referring to him wearing sweatpants

-- Jeff breaks a string

In A Future Age (w Spencer on knee slaps)

One Wing

-- Jeff tells a story about Malcolm Gladwell saying that he would rush into his burning house to save his Wilco records. Jeff said that's a bad idea because Wilco records are in print.

-- Jeff calls Sammy to come downstairs

Swingin Party (The Replacements cover sung by Sammy)

Close My Eyes - (Arthur Russell cover sung by Sammy)

I Am The Cosmos - (Chris Bell cover sung by Sammy)

Spencer sings & plays guitar on his song w Jeff on guitar too {i assume that this was a Spencer original. Not sure of the name of this one.}

I Threw It All Away (Bob Dylan cover w Spencer on drums)

-- Jeff sings a few lines of Passenger Side w "Bob Dylan voice" w Spencer on drums

Passenger Side ("Bob Dylan voice" w Spencer on drums. Aborted halfway)

-- Jeff sings a few lines of Passenger Side in "Edith Bunker voice"

-- Jeff sings a few lines of I Am Trying To Break Your Heart in "Nico voice"

Reincarnation (Roger Miller cover w Spencer on drums)

-- Susie asks if they should take Tuesday or Wednesday off. Jeff wants to take Tuesday off, but Susie thinks that there isn't enough warning.

Thanks for recapping these! I tend to catch a little each night but not all. We are fortunate that they are doing these each night.

I'm sort of curious if they'll ever cover a song from the last 20 years.

Jeff said that Jackfruit Brisket is his new stage name. LOL. I guess Scot Summit has long since retired.

Thanks for recapping these! I tend to catch a little each night but not all. We are fortunate that they are doing these each night.

I'm sort of curious if they'll ever cover a song from the last 20 years.

Didn't they do a Billie Eilish song last week?

I am listening to a 1995 show on Owl and Bear and there is a nice version of Reincarnation that has become the Tweedy Show ending credits song. I know it had been done with Golden Smog but hadn't heard a Wilco version yet.

Edit - dang looks like that link just goes to the full show archive and not directly to the song. Anyhow it is Track 21.

The Tweedy Show Tuesday April 14 Episode 25

# The Boxer (Simon & Garfunkel song on the Tweedy's jukebox)

-- Jeff strums a bit of Gun

Gun (Uncle Tupelo cover)

-- Susie says that she loves Uncle Tupelo & Jeff says that's probably because UT played her bar more times than Wilco did

-- Susie mentions that it's someone's birthday and Jeff runs off to grab a "Krankie" to play Happy Birthday on

-- Susie talks about Trilogy Of Terror & The Exorcist

-- Susie asks if they're rescheduling Wilco shows and Jeff says "yes."

-- Jeff & Susie riff about their "first date"

The Man In Me (Bob Dylan cover sung by Spencer)

-- Jeff critiques a few of Dylan's lyrics w Spencer

-- Jeff does a Bob Dylan impression

-- Jeff does a Jonathan Richman impression

You Don't Miss Your Water (Otis Redding cover sung by Sammy w Spencer & Jeff on backing vocals)

-- "i think you're wearing my pants from when i wrote Gun." Jeff to Sammy

Happiness

-- Susie announces that they are taking Wednesdays off

Please Be Patient With Me

And Then You Cut It In Half (w Spencer on drums)

Bright Phoebus (Lal & Mike Waterson cover sung by Jeff w Spencer & Sammy on backing vocals)

-- Jeff makes a Foster Brooks reference

-- Jeff talks about bubble bath episode. Susie mentions that she was watching the 1st episode earlier today which is intriguing because it was never recorded. It’s possible she found a brief clip on the Wilco FB group.

-- Jeff strums Hot Butter's Popcorn

Reincarnation (Roger Miller cover. Aborted early)

There will not be an episode on Wednesday and it sounds like this will be the norm going forward.

The Tweedy Show Thursday April 16 Episode 26

# Wonderful World (Sam Cooke song on the Tweedy's jukebox)

-- Susie says that this will be the last night that they open w a jukebox song due to copyright issues

-- Susie shows a video that she wants to open the show with. {it looks like the clip from I Am Trying To Break Your Heart where Jeff flexes his stomach. The cigarette in the belly button isn't shown. And it features 'old timey' music}

Bright Leaves

-- Jeff mentions that they started most of the shows with that song since Ode To Joy came out

-- "i don't wanna take fashion advice from a midget!" - Jeff to Ellen in the comments. {i believe she is related to Susie. A lot of the show goes back to this comment and Jeff feeling bad for saying it.}

-- "let's look at the dog dicks on my socks." - Jeff

-- "my 8 year old 'm' word is offended." - Susie reads a comment to Jeff

-- Jeff thought that the front section at an outdoor Wilco concert was being lame, so he told them to "stand up". He then realized that it was the wheelchair section.

I Wish I Was Your Mother (Mott The Hoople cover)

Family Ghost (w Spencer on drums)

There Goes My Love (Buck Owens cover sung by Spencer)

-- Does Jeff ever sweat? Jeff says that he doesn't really drink water on stage

-- What's Jeff's workout routine?

Pot Kettle Black (w Spencer on knee slaps)

I Can't Keep From Talking (Golden Smog cover w Spencer on drums. Dedicated to Arlene!)

-- Susie tells & shows Jeff that "the clients" can see Lemmy in the curtains.

-- Jeff strums a bit Reincarnation w his bad hangnail saying "ow ow ow"

Reincarnation (Roger Miller cover w Spencer on drums)

The Tweedy Show Friday April 17 Episode 27

***New animated intro w photos of the Tweedy family

-- Susie asks Jeff which episode number this is. Jeff correctly answers that this is the 27th episode.

-- Susie talks about a bakery from San Francisco that sent them some sweet treats

-- Shake It Off is a Wilco song. Not a Taylor Swift song

-- Susie mentions that XRT is playing Wilco's 2017 Winterlude right now. Susie asks Alexa to play XRT & it doesn't work.

Nobody Dies Anymore (w Spencer on drums)

-- "he's trying to squeeze his buttcheek hair into his mustache." Jeff talking about Spencer doing stretches

-- Sammy comes downstairs with a big mark on his forehead where his VR headset was

Climbing (Meat Puppets cover sung by Sammy)

Lost (Meat Puppets cover sung by Sammy)

Poor Places (w Spencer & Sammy on knee slaps)

God (John Lennon cover sung by Sammy w Spencer on knee slaps)

-- Jeff & Sammy discuss the YouTube video of God.

-- Jeff sings a bit of his own version of God which includes lyrics "i don't believe in Wilco. I don't believe in Susie."

I'm A Wheel (w Spencer doing a windmill to honor Pat & backing vocals)

-- Jeff strums some of Kicking Television after Spencer mentions a few lyrics from it thinking that it came from I'm A Wheel

Ooh La La (Faces cover sung by Sammy w Spencer & Jeff on backing vocals)

-- "what's the first song of Jeff's that Spencer & Sammy liked?" Spencer: Monkey Mess which Jeff plays a bit of. The Outtasite skydiving video which prompts Jeff to strum the intro. Sammy: the A Ghost Is Born album specifically Spiders (Kidsmoke)

-- Jeff & Sammy discuss John Lennon

-- Susie says that Letterman's canned ham needs to get tossed out or left at The Loft. Jeff mentions also having a Jon Hamm ham

Reincarnation (Roger Miller cover)

The Tweedy Show Saturday April 18 Episode 28

# Just My Imagination (The Temptations song on the Tweedy's jukebox)

-- "why didn't we use the new opening?" Susie addresses this saying that she got 10 copyright claims for Jeff's songs last night, so they might rotate openings each night.

-- Susie & Jeff discuss Jeff's hair saying "the clients" are asking if he had it cut

-- Jeff tells a story about being onstage and saying that "shampoo is a scam" & "toilet paper is a scam".

(Was I) In Your Dreams

-- Jeff gets a text from Pat on his watch

Harvest Moon (Neil Young cover sung by Sammy)

-- a Neil Young story is told

-- Jeff strums a bit of a Neil Young’s The Old Country Waltz w a few lines.

— Sammy mentions covering the Meat Puppets’ Up On The Sun

Helpless (Neil Young cover sung by Sammy w Jeff on backing vocals)

I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine (Bob Dylan cover sung by Sammy)

-- Jeff tells a story about Jimi Hendrix almost choosing I Dreamed I Saw St. Augstine, but chose All Along The Watchtower instead

Please Tell My Brother (Golden Smog cover)

-- Jeff asks if "the clients" watched the Global Citizens concert

Quiet Amplifier

-- Jeff talks about rehearsing Quiet Amplifier for the Ode To Joy tour, but his ulnar nerve in his arm prevented him from playing it

-- Jeff talks about pumping iron as part of physical therapy

-- Jeff talks about picking out a guitar w specific tunings when writing songs

-- Susie talks about seeing Louis Armstrong with Jimmy Durante

-- Jeff tells a story about Louis Armstrong being an orderly during the 1918 Spanish Flu

-- brief discussion of Olivia Newton John's Physical

-- Susie ponders if she saw Liberace w Jeff

-- Jeff says that he saw Bobcat Goldthwait

-- Jeff says that Wilco played in the round while opening for Natalie Merchant

-- Jeff's 1st concert was Mitch Miller

-- Susie tells a story about seeing Elvis just before he died and being asked to go backstage w other young ladies. She didn't go backstage.

Ashes Of American Flags

Reincarnation (Roger Miller cover. Aborted early)

The Tweedy Show Saturday April 18 Episode 28

)

A couple of real surprises in that show for me. First, I’m amazed that Wilco was booked to OPEN for Natalie Merchant. Seems strange. And also, that was an amazing story about Susie getting handpicked to go backstage at an Elvis show. I’ve heard stories of things like that but I’ve never known anybody it really happened to.