More on the "controversy"

I believe those of us who haven't posted in this thread at all should receive an"Admirable Restraint" award consisting of pecan pie with DreamWhip and tickets to the Wilco concert of our choice.

:yes :w00t

And I finally saw the commercial for VW (the "Thanks" one) as well as the one for AMC using "What Light" and found them both pretty pleasant. I liked hearing Jeff's voice emanating from my TV unexpectedly.

Damn, there goes my Restraint award, huh? :unsure

Edit: I believe anyone who's managed not to post in this thread until the 50th page still deserves an "Admirable Restraint" award. Show of hands, please?

As I thought.....you all agree wholeheartedly. :cheers

Yes, I made it! Page 52! :w00t

notagain9sb.jpg

:lol

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is calling for corporate responsibility equivalent to riding a high horse? Or, is it maybe that our standards have become so low, we are so accustomed to tolerating the lowest common denominator, that any suggestion to the contrary makes one look like a fucking giant, or maybe like they are perched atop a horse?

You drive a car, you're perpetuating the problem.

High horse or head in the clouds?

True, I do drive a car
Personal attacks? I said you were on a high horse, and I pointed out an inconsistency wrt moral relativism, neither of which qualify as an ad hominem. Neither does sarcasm. Grow up.

We can now add slippery slope to the practices on which I'm going to call you. Volkswagen is rendering the planet unlivable? I have consistently maintained that VW is, and has been, among the better auto companies in terms of gas mileage, something you have yet to refute (ignoring a point?), aside from pointing out that the V-10 diesel model of their SUV is extremely environmentally unfriendly (which should be alleviated to some degree by the growing availability of ultra-low-sulphur diesel fuel, as one of your articles pointed out). As far as personal behavior goes, I ride my bike to work daily and drive a Ford Focus when the weather requires me to. I'm quite satisfied with my own behavior regarding environmental preservation.

Please, go back and read my last post (s) and you will see that I am holding all car manufacturers responsible.

http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/overall-high.htm

From the EPA: Fuel Economy Leaders 2007

Rank Manufacturer/Model MPGcity/highway

1 Toyota Prius (hybrid-electric) 60/51

2 Honda Civic Hybrid 49/51

3 Toyota Camry Hybrid 40/38

4 Ford Escape Hybrid FWD 36/31

5 Toyota Yaris (manual) 34/40

6 Toyota Yaris (automatic) 34/39

7 Honda Fit (manual) 33/38

8 Toyota Corolla (manual) 32/41

9 Hyundai Accent (manual) Kia Rio (manual) 32/3532/35

10 Ford Escape Hybrid 4WDMercury Mariner Hybrid 4WD 32/2932/29

Mr ... -

Ninjas is not saying VW makes the most fuel efficient cars on the market. He's saying that in general their cars seem to be more fuel efficient than average in general. So you can trot out the top 10, top 20, or whatever, and you're not really arguing against what he's saying.

Also,

61837389_25d6df9d94.jpg

Please, go back and read my last post (s) and you will see that I am holding all car manufacturers responsible.

Right. I agree, all auto manufacturers should do a better job of producing more environmentally-friendly products. That does not mean that there are not degrees of oh forget it.

Can the two of you just get a room already?

:cheekkiss

Mr ... -

Ninjas is not saying VW makes the most fuel efficient cars on the market. He's saying that in general their cars seem to be more fuel efficient than average in general. So you can trot out the top 10, top 20, or whatever, and you're not really arguing against what he's saying.

Also,

61837389_25d6df9d94.jpg

Well then, perhaps he should provide a little evidence of his own, to like, back up his assertion?

Though, I

"Above average" does not equate to "Ranking near the top"

And i didn't make any claim about gas mileage, I just explained what Senor Ninja said.

I don't own cars, so I don't know about any of this.

My pink Beach Cruiser bicycle gets good mileage.

http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/overall-high.htm

From the EPA: Fuel Economy Leaders 2007

Rank Manufacturer/Model MPGcity/highway

1 Toyota Prius (hybrid-electric) 60/51

2 Honda Civic Hybrid 49/51

3 Toyota Camry Hybrid 40/38

4 Ford Escape Hybrid FWD 36/31

5 Toyota Yaris (manual) 34/40

6 Toyota Yaris (automatic) 34/39

7 Honda Fit (manual) 33/38

8 Toyota Corolla (manual) 32/41

9 Hyundai Accent (manual) Kia Rio (manual) 32/3532/35

10 Ford Escape Hybrid 4WDMercury Mariner Hybrid 4WD 32/2932/29

Will you please refute even one point he's made? Nobody is saying VW is among the best. They are saying they are above average, and that is true. I posted the figures at one point that showed that and I'm not going to be bothered to go find them since you ignored them the first time.

Also, dude I don't see your Toyota Echo on that list. Why do you hate the environment?

"Above average" does not equate to "Ranking near the top"

And i didn't make any claim about gas mileage, I just explained what Senor Ninja said.

I don't own cars, so I don't know about any of this.

My pink Beach Cruiser bicycle gets good mileage.

Oh come now, above average is closer to the top

on the sliding scale of 'selling out'...what is paul mccartny ranking at right now? starbucks record label, iTunes TV ad, superbowl halftime performer...shouldn't he have been burnt at the stake by now? by someone who actually cares about these things? someone who is not me?

What about Portia DiRossi? And Fiona Apple? And a biopic of Fiona Apple's life, wherein she's played by Portia DiRossi? And a scene where she hallucinates making love to herself? And in that scene Fiona Apple plays the hallucination? What about that?

What about Portia DiRossi? And Fiona Apple? And a biopic of Fiona Apple's life, wherein she's played by Portia DiRossi? And a scene where she hallucinates making love to herself? And in that scene Fiona Apple plays the hallucination? What about that?

and when she wakes up, she rolls over and sees Zach Galifianakis in bed next to her.