Good news for U2 fans..

I actually read an interview (I forget where or when) where Larry called the album that also.

A lot of his best drumming is on that album, imo. The group said they were rushed and didn't get it mixed the way they wanted. Then they re-recorded/remixed several of the songs for the greatest hits 1990-2000. And the newer versions are just so bad. So much worse.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Since no one else has yet, I figured I’d share my experience seeing U2 at the Sphere in Las Vegas last week. (I’m a little behind as I was traveling after the weekend and busy with catching up on work

Yep, they botched Staring At The Sun on the opening night of the PopMart Tour in 1997 and since then they have only played it acoustically. Stay (Faraway, So Close!) & Stuck In A Moment You Can’t

I enjoy the Monster record - but I was not a huge fan of the live show on the cd deluxe edition -- enjoyed the music on the live set, but I thought Stipe's vocals were off -- to much straining, from w

Posted Images

I like Please (maybe because of the drums),

yeah, the last couple months i have had trouble, too.

it used to be very reliable to check their website beforehand to see if your local store had the items in stock, but there's been a couple times recently where they couldn't be found.

the week Animal Collective and Andrew Bird came out, both showed to be there at 2 different local stores, but they didn't show up in person.

also, the Rivers Cuomo II album was the same way.

i hope the lack of their biggest competitor hasn't made them slack up.

last time i filled out one of their surveys i said as much and haven't had problems since.

The most recent example is the last Who dvd that came out. They did not have it. The boy working there tried to sell me some Who greatest hits cd or something. I hate being bothered by clerks in stores to begin with.

POOP is horrible unlistenable crap to my ears. The rest since AB is just music, nothing great, nothing terrible. It just kind of exists.

I used to badmouth Pop all the time, too. Then I thought I would put in the time to actually listen to it, and quickly changed my mind. Mofo is one of my absolute favorites and I love Miami, Playboy Mansion, Wake Up Dead Man, etc. Plus, it's not as experimental as some think with Staring at the Sun, Last Night on Earth, Gone, Please, which would feel right at home on most of their other albums.

Oh good Lord the WBCN contest - the song clip was Electric Co and I got through....the phone rang and rang....then click/disconnect.

GAH!

That probably makes you want to throw a brick through a window.

I used to badmouth Pop all the time, too. Then I thought I would put in the time to actually listen to it, and quickly changed my mind. Mofo is one of my absolute favorites and I love Miami, Playboy Mansion, Wake Up Dead Man, etc. Plus, it's not as experimental as some think with Staring at the Sun, Last Night on Earth, Gone, Please, which would feel right at home on most of their other albums.

We all have different tastes. For me the style of music, not sure what you call it, euro electronic pop? Atmospheric electronic pop? Experimental noise? Whatever, it just does not appeal to my meat and potatoes tastes. Now, when they strip away the crap if the songs work in a live setting, that

We all have different tastes. For me the style of music, not sure what you call it, euro electronic pop? Atmospheric electronic pop? Experimental noise? Whatever, it just does not appeal to my meat and potatoes tastes. Now, when they strip away the crap if the songs work in a live setting, that
Oh good Lord the WBCN contest - the song clip was Electric Co and I got through....the phone rang and rang....then click/disconnect.

GAH!

That happened to me earlier today. I was sure I was going to get through, and it had been long enough that I thought they were close to finding the 14th caller, then after maybe 15 or 20 rings, I got a "we cannot complete your call at this time" recording. I've been trying to win tickets from at least three different call-in contests, and I haven't gotten through even once, and I'm trying on two different phones.

Pop was definitely unfinished in a lot of ways, but it was the last U2 album I really loved. I like the new one, but I haven't heard it enough to decide how much it's going to mean to me or if it's their best album since Achtung Baby or any of that. But there was a sense of risk-taking on Pop that they band hasn't come anywhere close to since, which I've always found to be a little pathetic. They're playing it $afe, and they don't have to--they'd still sell out stadiums if they were experimenting more, I think. It's also a shame that they've completely abandoned the album live, too. I'm hoping songs like Please, Gone, and Last Night On Earth make a comeback on this tour. They're too good to just disappear for good, and I think they've got a similar "big guitar" sound like some of the new songs.

For what it's worth, they had a hard time with The Unforgettable Fire songs in a live setting also. Or, so I have read.

Unforgettable Fire: Past, Present, and Future--The Definitive Biography of U2 (Hardcover) by Eamon Dunphy

Yes, they did. I remember seeing a show early in that tour. I was a sophomore in high school and I was so psyched to see them but I was completely bummed by the songs off of the album (with the exception of Bad) that I was sure they'd go back to the more direct sound of the first three albums. I was able to see them later in that tour and the songs came off much better but it is still the least impressive of their tours that I ever saw.

As for Pop... My biggest issue with it was their failed attempt at irony in their presentation, marketing and tour. It just never really clicked. It fell flat for a lot of people and that "failure" was magnified because they did such a great job with the Zoo TV/Zooropa concept.

Yes, they did. I remember seeing a show early in that tour. I was a sophomore in high school and I was so psyched to see them but I was completely bummed by the songs off of the album (with the exception of Bad) that I was sure they'd go back to the more direct sound of the first three albums. I was able to see them later in that tour and the songs came off much better but it is still the least impressive of their tours that I ever saw.

As for Pop... My biggest issue with it was their failed attempt at irony in their presentation, marketing and tour. It just never really clicked. It fell flat for a lot of people and that "failure" was magnified because they did such a great job with the Zoo TV/Zooropa concept.

I would have liked to see that tour. They started to loose me with the whole TV/Zooropa deal.

I still have yet to see U2 live.

Today ends a personal tradition - I bought every U2 album the day of its release from The Joshua Tree to HTDAAB. Just can't pull the trigger (even at $3.99) financially. I'm okay with it though.

Well, it is certainly all about tastes. Especially since I would consider the '90s to be their strongest decade. Zooropa, Achtung Baby, and Pop are three of my favorites (in that order).

I think the 1990's were great for them financially in spite of the Popmart tour production costs. Creatively though they fell off a cliff after Achtung Baby.

I would have liked to see that tour. They started to loose me with the whole TV/Zooropa deal.

I think they went through a progression in the 1990's from the achtung babay tour getting bigger and bigger through bono's fly/macphisto evolution to popmart where they tried really hard to hit a newer level and realtively failed in my mind. It brought them back to earth and back on a fairly conventional safe path that is just as lucrative as anything they have previously done.

I loved every second of the Pop album and tour. That show was magical to me! Was also my first time seeing the band.

Me too. Welll ... I may not have loved every second of the album, but I have no complaints about the tour. I had a great time at Soldier Field.

I admit right now that I haven't read this thread in probably months, and just tuned in on this page. I'm hoping to pick up the album this weekend - I haven't heard more than a few clips of songs, yet. I hope I like it, but it won't break my heart if I don't. (It also won't make me love albums like Achtung Baby any less.)

I still have yet to see U2 live.

Today ends a personal tradition - I bought every U2 album the day of its release from The Joshua Tree to HTDAAB. Just can't pull the trigger (even at $3.99) financially. I'm okay with it though.

Shit. I will send you a cd.

I loved every second of the Pop album and tour. That show was magical to me! Was also my first time seeing the band.

I have never seen them either, but I'd say I would have probably preferred to see the Joshua Tree Tour.