I was gonna go no spoilers but I can't resist the twitter. Is there anything else better out there going on online right now? Where's the party, man?

• Replies 902
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After looking at last night's setlist, all I will say is this: a certain selection of tunes (which I won't name for fear of jinxing) from a certain little story :shifty were not played.

That's all I'm gonna say. :stunned

Just started 2nd set. New song is a step in the right direction after the last couple albums but not mind-blowing. Beginning a 12:50 Tweezer....

From Billboard.com:

Reunited Phish Returns To Virginia Stage

Phish

March 07, 2009 11:01 AM ET

Michael D. Ayers, Hampton, Va.

After a nearly five-year absence, veteran jam band Phish returned to the stage last night (March 6) at Virginia's Hampton Coliseum to a deafening roar, treating fans to a career-spanning set that didn't skimp on epic jams. As the group greeted the crowd, guitarist Trey Anastasio and pianist Page McConnell grinned in disbelief at the reaction.

The first set alone was long even by Phish's standards, clocking in at just under two hours and boasting 16 songs. The entire crowd sang along for opener "Fluffhead," a 16-minute fan favorite from early in the band's career which hadn't been played since 2000. "Suzy Greenberg" and "David Bowie" also inspired spirited singalongs.

Phish slowed things down towards the end of the "Stash," with McConnell's piano in the fore as his bandmates provided eerie, atmospheric sounds. Other first set gems included a fast, bouncy "NICU," a countrified version of "Water in the Sky," the piano solo at the end of "The Squirming Coil" and the a capella leanings of "I Didn't Know," which featured drummer Jon Fishman playing a vacuum cleaner.

To open the second set, Phish debuted "Backwards Down the Number Line" as promised. The uptempo rock number, which features Anastasio singing "the only rule is it begins, happy happy, oh my friend," was the only time he didn't seem completely comfortable on stage; he was clearly concentrating hard.

The road anthem "Possum" featured the only lead vocals from bassist Mike Gordon. Of the night's two instrumentals, the grinding guitar funk of "First Tube" was welcomed by the dancing fans in the hallways. The end of the second set also featured classics like "You Enjoy Myself," which closed with one of the group's "vocal"-style jams.

After a lengthy encore pause, the group re-emerged barbershop quartet style to play "Grind," from 2004's "Undermind." Phish closed this first Hampton reunion show with crowd favorite "Bouncing Around the Room" and the Rolling Stones' "Loving Cup." The band will return to continue its three-night run tonight and tomorrow; all three shows are available for free download from LivePhish.com.

I somehow found the will to stay away from all info and did the no spoilers download this morning. I am so happy I did. Listening to the show without knowing what would come next made for a real treat. The only other times I did that was when I was at shows, or I stumbled on someone's maxell tape that wasn't labelled in the old days.

I went for a short run this morning and figured that I'd listen to the show on my run to make it more interesting. It was easy to tell when the lights went down, and when I heard the first notes of Fluffhead I think I laughed out loud with joy. When the lyrics started, and it sounded like everyone in the arena was singing at the top of their lungs, I had both of my hands on top of my head and was shaking it back and forth as I was running. People must have thought I was an idiot. And then, when they got the ohhhhhhh yeah! part, I had to stop. I pulled over. Haha I really must have looked like a loon out there.

On the whole, the show was a blast. I have always gotten a disproportionate # of Horns at the shows I went to, so it was a laugh to get one of those again. Listening to that OhKeePa, and wondering if we'd get the Suzie after it? Just like old times. The first dance at my wedding was Waste.

I agree with Moe that Page was the star of the night. And, mountainbed, I wont say anything either, but I really doubt it. :)

It's really nice to know that the boys are back. My world is a better place with them in it. I am going to download nospoilers again tomorrow morning.

I somehow found the will to stay away from all info and did the no spoilers download this morning. I am so happy I did. Listening to the show without knowing what would come next made for a real treat. The only other times I did that was when I was at shows, or I stumbled on someone's maxell tape that wasn't labelled in the old days.

I went for a short run this morning and figured that I'd listen to the show on my run to make it more interesting. It was easy to tell when the lights went down, and when I heard the first notes of Fluffhead I think I laughed out loud with joy. When the lyrics started, and it sounded like everyone in the arena was singing at the top of their lungs, I had both of my hands on top of my head and was shaking it back and forth as I was running. People must have thought I was an idiot. And then, when they got the ohhhhhhh yeah! part, I had to stop. I pulled over. Haha I really must have looked like a loon out there.

On the whole, the show was a blast. I have always gotten a disproportionate # of Horns at the shows I went to, so it was a laugh to get one of those again. Listening to that OhKeePa, and wondering if we'd get the Suzie after it? Just like old times. The first dance at my wedding was Waste.

I agree with Moe that Page was the star of the night. And, mountainbed, I wont say anything either, but I really doubt it. :)

It's really nice to know that the boys are back. My world is a better place with them in it. I am going to download nospoilers again tomorrow morning.

with Horn, i think trey wanted to prove that he could actually play the solo. that was one botched tune near the end. okeepa was so fun...i called ACDC bag, but suzie was it.

i was driving around with the kids listening today and just looked around in disbelief that EVERYONE on the road and walking with ipods wasn't jamming to the reunited phish show that wasn't more than 15 hours old!!

with Horn, i think trey wanted to prove that he could actually play the solo. that was one botched tune near the end. okeepa was so fun...i called ACDC bag, but suzie was it.

i was driving around with the kids listening today and just looked around in disbelief that EVERYONE on the road and walking with ipods wasn't jamming to the reunited phish show that wasn't more than 15 hours old!!

It's really nice to know that the boys are back. My world is a better place with them in it.

:cheers I concur, Matt. I have been on a real high (natural, guys :yes ) for the last day and a half. We needed this.

Fluffhead or PYITE, please.

Tube to start 2nd set.

OR

Tweezer, then end last night with Tweezer Reprise.

ha.

pretty close, i eat my words.

ha.

pretty close, i eat my words.

:lol

The Tweezer idea was kind of close, too. They played it first night, second set, third song, and closed the last night with the reprise.

:lol

Btw, I'll go on record as saying the song "Meat" is one of my least favorite tunes in the reppa-twah. Just a lazy, throwaway song that always had me heading for a piss break.

Damn, you're good.

Wtf is "Toyota Park? If that's the World Amphitheatre that place is a king-hell shit hole.