• Replies 902
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

05/31/2009 Fenway Park - Boston, MA

Soundcheck: Funky Bitch, Kill Devil Falls, Undermind^

1: Star Spangled Banner*, Sample in a Jar, Moma Dance, Chalk Dust Torture, Ocelot**, Stash^, Bouncing Around the Room, Poor Heart, Limb by Limb, Wading in the Velvet Sea, Down with Disease, Destiny Unbound, Character Zero

2: Tweezer -> Light**, Bathtub Gin, David Bowie, Time Turns Elastic**, Free, (The Ballad of) Curtis Loew, You Enjoy Myself

E: Cavern, Good Times Bad Times, Tweezer Reprise

Notes:^ with "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" tease. * Star-Spangled Banner was a capella behind the pitcher's mound (which was covered with a tarp), in Red Sox jerseys. (Mike wore #8, Carl Yastrzemski's. Page wore 15, Pedroia's number. Trey had # 18, Becket, and may have said "Anastasio" on the back. Fishman had a ted Williams throwback away shirt, #9, in the same style that Mike wore. Page and Trey wore home jerseys.) ** debut performance.

Thanks to Phish.com, Jambase.com, and Andy Gadiel; and, on follow-up, to Jeremy Welsh, Scott Marks, Dan Mielcarz, Phillip Zerbo, Julia Mordaunt, Taylor Sipple, Scott Marks, and David Steinberg.

• 2 weeks later...

So anyone else been listening to the shows?

I'm currently up to the first night at bonaroo.

Is anyone here coming down to The Creek on Friday? It would sure be great to see some of you. Shoot me a PM if you are coming.

I have no real expectations, except for the usual one - I NEED to hear a Bowie! That damn song has eluded me post-(1st..lol) hiatus..it's been 10 years since I got me a Bowie :hmm

My daughter caught the first night at Bonnaroo and she was thrilled to death. The sequence of Hood > Hwy to Hell > 2001 > YEM > Wilson > YEM was the highlight for her. She said she heard Trey hit those opening notes and yelled out "WILLLLSONNNN!", and then they DID it. God, I love it when things like that happen for people.

I don't really like Phish that much, but I think Farmhouse is a fantastic album. Do most die hard Phish fans like that album? just curious...

Yeah, not a bad album. Although when it comes to phish fans much like the Dead fans, its about the live shows. The studio album never quite captures the feeling of their shows. You have to like jammin' cause they do that alot.

Guest Francis X. Hummel

I second Mountain Bed's need for a Bowie. I have a lot I'm hoping to hear, as I've never seen them live, but Bowie is probably tops for me, along with Harry Hood.

Last nights setlist was ridiculous - if Sunday is half as good, I'll be happy.

Also, Farmhouse is awesome.

Deer Creek 6/19/09

I: Backwards Down The Number Line, AC/DC Bag, Limb By Limb, Moma Dance, Water In The Sky, Split Open & Melt, Lawn Boy, The Wedge, Stealing Time From The Faulty Plan, The Connection*, Ocelot, Fluffhead

--------------storm break----------------

II: As Song I Heard The Ocean Sing, Drowned > Twist, Let Me Lie, Tweezer > 2001 > Suzy Greenberg > Possum

E: Sleeping Monkey

* - 1st time played

We rolled into Deer Creek with the easiest access to the venue I've ever had for a Phish show. Remarkable. It was hot as balls (93F, with the humidity near the 90s). The MB clan did the Shakedown (bizarre) and I was able to score a nice tee with Trey's silhouette rising from an Obama logo with the caption "Yes We JAM" on it. :lol . Also got DFH 60 minute for 2 bucks, and a DFH 90 for 3! Not bad.

We went in as soon as the gates opened and were DFC on the lawn, just 20 feet from the walkway. PERFECT! The guys didn't hit the stage until 8:10 (40 minutes late - grrrr) and started with a new tune I haven't heard. I'll refrain from commenting on the 4 new songs from the first set, other than to say they were generally upbeat - not the somber 'introspective' Trey we've heard from the last 2 records. Just OK. With Bag, LxL, Moma, & H2O/Sky in succession I felt like I was in '98 for awhile there. "Water/Sky" was a very appropriate tune at the moment, as it was so damn humid you could almost literally wring the moisture out of the air with your hands.

Then came SOAM - one of my top 5 tunes for sure...this one was kinda reminiscent of the monster '03 version - but not quite THAT good! Trey was using this effect (which he continued to use sporadically from then on) that was really odd - he'd hold a single note and warp it to sound like the guitar was dying, or something. Kind of like a baying hound. Lawn Boy is what it is - fun, a little break from the SOAM madness. Wedge followed, and who can complain about that! Just a really catchy tune that never got overplayed. Two more new ones, and THEN - a 'i can't believe this shit, it's nearly flawless!' version of Fluffhead.

After Fluff, they bowed...very ominous. The shit was really starting to happen with crazy lightning, and some gusty wind (which REALLY was appreciated at the time - it was very sticky). No "We'll be back in 15 minutes" or anything. About 15 minutes into the break Page came out and told all of us on the lawn to clear out, there was serious shit heading our way. Go to your cars, etc...and "if we can, we'll be back out at 11".

OK, I know the damn curfew time is 11. WTF? Things were getting pretty ugly, so, having my wife and daughters with me, I make the gut decision to bail. I would have been happy to get drenched and be a human lightning rod, but alas...

Of COURSE, on the way home the weather lightens up a bit and they DO the 2nd set. DAMN. Can't comment on it cause I was not there.

Anyway...I was just so happy to be doing the show after 5 years of no Phish that I would not have cared WHAT they played. But it seemed to me that things are looking pretty good this time around.

That's a bummer, MB. Thanks for the review. Gotta love those Midwest outdoor early summer shed shows. The weather always a factor. I'm glad you enjoyed what you saw of the show and the scene. I always liked Moma Dance. Split too.

thanks for the review, MB. Sounds like you had a really nice time. Sorry to hear you bailed, but it sounds like I would have done the same. When you are with the family, it's a whole different ballgame. Hope we get to catch a show one of these days (years).

After Fluff, they bowed...very ominous. The shit was really starting to happen with crazy lightning, and some gusty wind (which REALLY was appreciated at the time - it was very sticky). No "We'll be back in 15 minutes" or anything. About 15 minutes into the break Page came out and told all of us on the lawn to clear out, there was serious shit heading our way. Go to your cars, etc...and "if we can, we'll be back out at 11".

OK, I know the damn curfew time is 11. WTF? Things were getting pretty ugly, so, having my wife and daughters with me, I make the gut decision to bail. I would have been happy to get drenched and be a human lightning rod, but alas...

Of COURSE, on the way home the weather lightens up a bit and they DO the 2nd set. DAMN. Can't comment on it cause I was not there.

Anyway...I was just so happy to be doing the show after 5 years of no Phish that I would not have cared WHAT they played. But it seemed to me that things are looking pretty good this time around.

That is sort of what happened to me when I saw Phil Lesh. It was not the weather, but due to a long wait between sets, and too many rowdy folks, we left.

A Bathtub for Phish Kids in Tour Finale

Phish closed its first tour in five years last night at East Troy, WI’s Alpine Valley Music Theatre. As a nod to Father’s Day, the children of all four band members emerged at the start of the night to sit onstage in a bathtub while their fathers played the song “Brother” for the first time since 2003’s IT festival. The group continued to revive material from its back catalogue, including a package of Trey Anastasio’s “The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday” and the traditional Jewish prayer “Avenu Malkenu,” the late Chicago blues guitarist Son Seals’ “Funky Bitch (by request) and a cover of Talking Heads’ “Crosseyed and Painless.” After thanking their crew and offering a barbershop quartet arrangement of “Grind,” the band closed its tour with a humorous version of “Frankenstein” that found Page McConnell playing keytar, Mike Gordon strapping on his “flame” bass guitar and Anastasio debuting a new over the top guitar with five necks.

The previous night’s show also continued numerous noteworthy moments. During the narrative portion of “Makisupa Policeman,” which traditionally references Phish’s drug scene, Anastasio discussed his own arrest by saying, “woke up in the morning pissed in a jar, woke up in the afternoon called my parole officer.” The band also cut “You Enjoy Myself” before its encore and segued into “NICU,” “Prince Caspian,” “Waste” and the first cover of Jimi Hendrix’s “Fire” since reuniting.

Friday night’s performance at Noblesville, IN’s famed Deer Creek was, unfortunately, marred by inclement weather and, after the group’s first set, McConnell instructed the audience to return to their cars until the weather cleared up a bit. The band returned after an hour-plus break for the thematic segment that included “A Song I Heard The Ocean Sing” and “Drowned.” Earlier in the night Phish also performed the Undermind single “The Connection” live for the first time. The group will hit the road again in July for a four-night run at Morrison, CO’s Red Rocks Amphitheatre. The band’s next album is expected to hit stores later this summer.

As a nod to Father’s Day, the children of all four band members emerged at the start of the night to sit onstage in a bathtub while their fathers played the song “Brother” for the first time since 2003’s IT festival.

Is that who that was? How cute!

Roo and Alpine shows were fantastic. I just got tickets for the Chicago date. It's like 1997 all over again :P

I thought both nights of Alpine were fantastic - the band (and especially Trey) were on point throughout both shows and the playing was really crisp. The song selection bogged down a couple of times, especially the closing stretch of the first night's second set but overall I had a great time and I definitely look forward to any upcoming shows I can hit.

15 years ago - THE BUSTOUT

6/26/94 - Municipal Auditorium, Charleston, WV

Set I: Kung, Llama, The Lizards, Tela, Wilson, AC/DC Bag, Colonel Forbin's Ascent > Famous Mockingbird, The Sloth, McGrupp & The Watchful Hosemasters, Divided Sky

Set II: Julius, Down With Disease, If I Could, Axilla (Part II), Lifeboy, Sample In A Jar, Wolfman's Brother, Scent Of A Mule, Dog-Faced Boy, Demand > Split Open And Melt Jam > Yerushalayim Shel Zahav

E: The Old Home Place, Amazing Grace, Tube, Fire

"Gamehoist" show. Set I is Gamehenge with narration between songs ( the first since 3/22/93). Set II is the entire Hoist LP (minus Riker's Mailbox). The AUD I have sounds wonderful, and is easily available.

From Jambands.com:

A Three Day Phish Festival

Phish has placed an announcement on its website, encouraging fans to "Save The Date" for a three day event. The band indicates that a festival will take place on October 30, October 31 and November 1 but no additional information is provided. Three states pop out of the map following the announcement: Idaho, Oklahoma and West Virginia but it's not clear what, if anything, this represents (if you squint, maybe a jack-o'lantern?) as rumors had pointed to a West Coast run.

Phish (Offcial Site)