New Election Thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does abortion continue to be such an important issue on both sides of the aisle?

You do not want your government to tell you what you can and can not do with your body.Scary stuff. That is why vaccinations (big $$$) are not a law, only made to seem so. What will you do if they someday jail people who refuse them? They try in some areas without success, but this is scary as hell.You start with one thing, abortion, then what's next?Telling you how many kids you can have?What surgeries you must get etc? Right now low income welfare moms are forced to vaccinate their kids to recieve funding despite the fact it is not a law. Despite the fact it may injure or kill their child. Keep government off my body!

Actually, no, I didn't. I figured since you thought it was important enough to share her complex response to McCain's interesting and thoughtful choice of a running mate, I could comment on my disappointment that the only thing that was looked at or noticed was her gender.

I mentioned my wife's response only to suggest that the very voters McCain has been trying to court in recent weeks may not react well to this choice. You assumed my brief sentences were the totality of her reaction, and used that false assumption to arrive at a glib and contemptuous conclusion. Is Sarah Palin's gender the only reason the pick looks like pandering? Of course not. It looks like pandering because this woman with these positions and these credentials in this time suggests that the primary reason she was chosen was not for her qualifications, but for her gender. Is that an accurate measure of McCain's motivation? I don't know. Point is, it's easy for voters to perceive it that way.

Palin strikes me as a lightweight. I know the knee-jerk response is that Obama is, too. I've always felt that the inexperience charge was a fair one to make against Obama, but learning about Palin's accomplishments, and listening to her speak, I can't imagine thinking that they are "inexperienced" in the same way. I'm reminded of something Andrew Sullivan wrote earlier today:

"It occurs to me that some on the right actually think that Obama is as inexperienced and as trivial a figure as Palin. So ask yourself: could Sarah Palin have run a national election campaign against, say, a machine as powerful as the Bush family, and won? Does she have the skill set to construct a campaign that would actually have brought her to the nomination herself? I find the comparison with Obama ludicrous. But it will be made. Palin looks to me like a lovely person and a good local politician, with some inevitable rough spots. I'd be delighted if she took a leadership role in the GOP in the future. But in the same league as Obama? Do Republicans really think that little of him? I guess they do. We are looking at a different person."

Thanks :thumbup . I haven't started my research on her yet, I just figured you guys would do it for me :lol , just listening to the news bits right now. I think this election is gonna be dirtier than I ever imagined! I see a lot of beer in my fridge from now until the election.

Oh Gawd, a pretty woman from the wildest wild west state in the country, who can shoot, drink, ice fish, have 5 kids, and be a bible thumper too. We are doomed....

For some reason, I never heard the words 'Supreme Court' spoken at the Democratic convention. That's one of the top three issues in this election (along with repairing foreign affairs and economic problems).

The SC issue was definitely raised, but I forget if it was Biden or Bill.

Here's what I know about her -- a hometown beauty queen, runner up for Miss Alaska (I don't know how Biden's gonna fare in the bathing suit competition, but I'm guessing he'll be able to hold his own otherwise), largely ceremonial mayor of a town of 9000, 2 year governor of a state with a population of less than 3/4 million. I like that she's been a anti-corruption reformer, but she's under investigation for improprieties around the firing of a trooper in a custody battle with her sister. She's also pro-life, pro-gun and has just been thrown to the wolves.

The thinking must be that she'll be a standin for all those disappointed that Hillary's not in it. Pick a woman, any woman. :rolleyes

I bet Al Qaeda's pretty worried about this development.

I

mccainpalin.jpg

QFT

Did anyone else notice that McCain spent most of the time Palin was speaking twirling his wedding ring and staring at her ass? Seriously.

:ike

Ha Tracy -- no I hadn't noticed! I did notice the wedding ring twirling, but not the ass checking. Hi-larious :lol

BTW -- 40MM people tuned in to see Obama last night, nearly double the 2004 speech by Kerry.

One "concern" of the Assemblies of God:

CONCERNS:

Today in our American culture, many people have turned their adoration from the Creator to the creation. They have gone to the extreme and are now worshiping the earth. We believe worship of the land, the sea, the oceans, and other attributes of the earth is an abomination to God

One "concern" of the Assemblies of God:

A major concern for Christians is the overemphasis of the environment at the expense of spiritual issues effecting life and eternity. The Bible's message declares that spiritual matters (those affecting the hearts of mankind) are the priority issues with God. These and not the environment are the reason He sent His own Son Jesus as a sacrifice to save people. For God did not send His Son to save the earth in a physical sense but to save the people who inhabit it. We believe this must be the main focus and concern for all Christians today.

As Assemblies of God people we respect and are thankful for the earth, but our greatest thanks and worship is directed upward to God

As Assemblies of God people we respect and are thankful for the earth, but our greatest thanks and worship is directed upward to God
I mentioned my wife's response only to suggest that the very voters McCain has been trying to court in recent weeks may not react well to this choice. You assumed my brief sentences were the totality of her reaction, and used that false assumption to arrive at a glib and contemptuous conclusion. Is Sarah Palin's gender the only reason the pick looks like pandering? Of course not. It looks like pandering because this woman with these positions and these credentials in this time suggests that the primary reason she was chosen was not for her qualifications, but for her gender. Is that an accurate measure of McCain's motivation? I don't know. Point is, it's easy for voters to perceive it that way.

Palin strikes me as a lightweight. I know the knee-jerk response is that Obama is, too. I've always felt that the inexperience charge was a fair one to make against Obama, but learning about Palin's accomplishments, and listening to her speak, I can't imagine thinking that they are "inexperienced" in the same way. I'm reminded of something Andrew Sullivan wrote earlier today:

"It occurs to me that some on the right actually think that Obama is as inexperienced and as trivial a figure as Palin. So ask yourself: could Sarah Palin have run a national election campaign against, say, a machine as powerful as the Bush family, and won? Does she have the skill set to construct a campaign that would actually have brought her to the nomination herself? I find the comparison with Obama ludicrous. But it will be made. Palin looks to me like a lovely person and a good local politician, with some inevitable rough spots. I'd be delighted if she took a leadership role in the GOP in the future. But in the same league as Obama? Do Republicans really think that little of him? I guess they do. We are looking at a different person."

We see things differently about her qualifications then and I'm not sure what's so terrible about "[a] woman with these positions." What positions? Pro-life? Is that the main one? Do women only count if they are pro-choice? Has she been a crusader for this issue? The only thing I could find was her desire for a parental consent law that didn't pass, and then she refused to call a special session that would waste money for additional debate.

She's a woman who rose up fast and became a well-respected and liked governor. The brand of change McCain wants to bring to Washington is less spending and streamlined government, putting the money that goes into the government back into the pockets of the people. This is what Sarah Palin has done in her two years as governor in addition to fighting corruption and scandal and passing ethics reform. Talk about knee-jerk reactions. She's given one speech and already she's a lightweight and a piece of ass that McCain can stare at. Yep, sexism is still prevalent in this country, maybe even more so than racism.

No, she doesn't compare to Obama in the sense Sullivan writes about because Obama has been a rising star within the Democratic Party since his speech at the convention in 2004. From that perspective, it's not even close. Then again, she's the VP candidate, not the one for President. I don't know of anyone who thinks Obama is a trivial figure, though. He has a more than legitimate chance to win the election and his nomination is not only historic and important for this country, but is being taken very seriously.

It just strikes me as odd how Palin has been tossed off so quickly and easily as she has been as just a woman for the sake of being a woman. Just look at the initial reaction of the Obama campaign to the news of the selection. It reeks of hubris and inattention to detail.

To be fair, I don't think we can translate that as "screw the earth." There's nothing in that passage that suggests members can't be environmentally-minded. In fact, it sounds like members should be concerned with the environment--as long as spiritual matters remains their first priority.

OK.

WTF? Screw the earth, look upwards. Drive big SUV's for long joy rides, shooting wildlife from the windows, and swimming in factory farm cesspools while drinking lots of shit from plastic bottles.... cause he's coming for us anyway.Nice.

Yeah that whole rapture / dominion thing really pisses me off

It is tough believe my fellow Merkins are rational, sentient beings when shit like this goes down

I'm trying to imagine the briefing she'd get from Cheney on what the VP does.

Wait. What? a merkin?

She can be a woman, man, Alaskan, mineral, vegetable, half-elf, half-orc, all orc, cylindrical or built like an Egyptian shithouse - if she don't support a woman's right to control her own uterus, I ain't pulling her lever.

We see things differently about her qualifications then and I'm not sure what's so terrible about "[a] woman with these positions." What positions? Pro-life? Is that the main one? Do women only count if they are pro-choice? Has she been a crusader for this issue? The only thing I could find was her desire for a parental consent law that didn't pass, and then she refused to call a special session that would waste money for additional debate.

I'm ok with someone being pro-life, just not ok with anyone wanting to overturn Roe vs Wade. Don't know if that applies to her or not, but It does for McCain. Eventually his goal is to end abortion in the US.

http://www.johnmccain.com/Informing/Issues...2028d71df58.htm

I do respect him for adoption, and how he says he will make it easier for Americans to adopt and help more kids. Right now that it is not the case and it's BS. Way too many kids waiting for homes with red tape and $$ issues.

She can be a woman, man, Alaskan, mineral, vegetable, half-elf, half-orc, all orc, cylindrical or built like an Egyptian shithouse - if she don't support a woman's right to control her own uterus, I ain't pulling her lever.

I'm with you on that one. Most men I know could care less on this issue. It's not just a woman's issue.

My mom raised me to be a feminist.

She's given one speech and already she's... a piece of ass that McCain can stare at. Yep, sexism is still prevalent in this country,

I'm with ya on that, at least. I've spent all day reading political stuff online, and it's amazing how quickly, and inevitably, discussions about Palin arrive at objectification--often at the same sites that are supposed to be interested in gender equality.